Post Rita Report

Still Crusin

Just got back home today after "camping out" with my family since last Thursday in Kyle, just north of San Marcos. We stayed with one of my wife's friends and her family. Glad to be back home and WHEW! feel blessed to have dodged that bullet. Heard it was bad over in Wynn's area. My house and neighborhood came out unscathed for the most part... a few downed trees and wood fences, nothing major. I had a few tiles off my roof, but that was about it. Got home and it appears I never lost power; I'm amazed. Have water, power, etc. Sounds like Houston escaped w/out major problems.
Oh and I managed not to get caught in the grid lock. I just shook my head in disbelief and was ever so thankful it didn't happen to me. I took the "back way" to San Marcos. My neighbor headed to San Antonio last Wednesday night about 10pm and I beat him there and I didn't leave till 6am Thursday morning. I believe people could've left Friday and still made it out ok and avoided the mad crush of clogged highway. The scariest part was lack of fuel. I started looking for gas when I got down to 3/4 of a tank and finally got some when I was down to 1/4 qtr tank. That was all the way near San Marcos.
Had no trouble coming back and took all the major freeways today. I spoke with Chris a few times while I was away and was appreciative of the report of the Houston "on-scene" conditions.
I'm also appreciative of all the fellow SC'ers that offered up a place to stay.
Glad to say I drove my SC up to San Marcos and back w/out incident. That's most I've driven it in a while.
Hopefully people will post what the east TX/western LA guys need. I'm sure Calvin can still use some help too.

The fact that only one of your pines got toppled is a good sign. If it had hit with category 5 winds, there wouldn't be many left standing. Hopefully wynn's collection of SCs didn't get beat up.

Back