New guy w/ questions...

DJ SHO

What's the fastest year SC or are they all pretty close (MTX's probably quicker)? Also how does the ATX match up and what are some things to look out for in either MTX or ATX SC's? I have a 95 SHO and thinking about also getting an SC in the future.

Also, how the aftermarket for these cars? I heard it's not as good as the SHO's but then again modding an SC is a lot cheaper and easier to get good HP gains, from what I hear. I used to own a 91 MTX SC for 4 days, but returned it due to odometer fraud.

Gotta love those Specialty Ford cars.:D

Thanks.

Hello. First, I notice you are using the abbreviations ATX & MTX. If you are refering to transaxles with those abrvs, then allow me to inform you that these & regular Thunderbirds are RWD platforms, whereas the taurus is FWD of course. If this is not the case, then disregard this. Next, the 1989 through 1993 model Supercoupes all produce 210bhp & 315 ft lbs tq, and are almost identical in speed. The 94&95 had some supercharger upgrades and other mods, so they produce 230hp and 345 ft lbs tq, approximately. These are slightly faster. Some SC's were exceptionally fast, and ran quarter mile times as much as 1/2 second faster, but these are uncommon, factory freaks, if you will. Now, as for auto vs manual, the manuals are a bit faster, especially when accounting for speed/power shifting. However, the Autos are extremely close, very good in these cars. The 1989-1993 used a regular automatic overdrive, in '94 they switched to AODE, or electronic automatic overdrive. The reason being earlier AODs would sometimes have problems shifting into OD as mileage accumulated. The manual was a M5R2 for all years, (Mazda 5spd Rearwheel trac-lok). In '94 its gear ratio was changed to be more aggresive. Lastly, aftermarket for these cars is not necessarily a plentiful one, but well tailored. There are a few specific groups which make upgraded & oem parts available, at reasonable prices. Being Supercharged, many performance mods such as intake and exhuast upgrades benefit these cars much more than they would other cars. There is a greater amount of airflow to work with, and everything depends on it. This also applies to temperature.. the supercharged airstream causes greater heat buildup than n/a setups, and thus heat reduction improvements have greater affect. Ex: a full exhuast upgrade on an n\a car migh get you about 15 hp, whereas on these cars it can get you as much as 40, in combo with other mods. Theoretically it can be cheaper to mod because it requires less parts to gain the same power than on an n/a engine.. although there is a limitation. Ford designed this car exactly to handle what they put in it, and after enough moding, it becomes necessary to supplement the original design in various areas to support the new mods. Those with more experience could tell you approximatley at what level this would occur.
Is this information satisfactory for your original question? A little more than needed, perhaps, but you can never know too much.

Sorry about the ATX/MTX thing. It was really late and I'm used to typing that on the SHOForum, just not thinking that late.

What about availabilty or Autos & 5sp's? Which will be more likely to find used?

And also, have the Autos had a history of problems?

Are shift kits available for them?

Any special maintanence an SC needs through it's life (like how a SHO requires valve shimming every 60k)?

And lastly, what are average selling prices now for these cars, say 92-95's, good cond, avg miles, stick, average options?

Thanks Digitalchaos for your input, by the way.

Anyone else wanna help with your thoughts?

Thanks.

You can look at the sccoa faq for the production numbers The manual only outsold the auto in 1989.

So Auto's are more common. 1995 5-speeds are the rarest at only 574 produced.

Hydraulic lifters, so no adustment there. The engine is fairly bullet proof if you keep the oil changed regularly and don't let it get too hot. Not quite as many delicate moving parts as in that SHO. The car can accept some more questionable tollerances. Main issue is plugs. They are a pain to get after but really should be changed regularly.

First mod should always be exhaust. Second mod is usually something to do with improving cooling.

Someone else can give you numbers for estimated street values. The 5speed cars are a little more pricey.

DJ SHO,
I was in the same boat as you, I spent many years yearning for a SC so I took the time to learn more about them. I almost bought a white 92 auto about 4 years back but was planning an extended sejourn from work so I couldn't swing it. Good thing. I really wanted a stick shift car and am glad I waited.

From my reading and lurking on these and other groups I determined I wanted a 94 or 95 because of the 20 horsepower upgrade. There is also some tougher gear in the motor and a straighter exhaust under the tank. I was worried the 95 may have OBD-II but turns out to be unfounded. I really wanted a silver, white or blue SC but I realized beggars can't be choosers. I got black and curse every speck on it and the care it requires but grudgingly gotta admit it looks awesome when waxed up.

You can read all you want, but to be truthful, I really think the 89-93 cars are better looking. It is an esthetic thing but inside and out they are a bit sharper in my opinion. Especially that white one with black leather interior that I almost bought.

The power issue is not as serious as you might think. I have made friends with the only guy around with anouther SC. A 1990 5spd with 300,000 kms on it. In spite of the huge mileage his car is as tight as a drum, handles like a dream, has better brakes and low end torque than my car ever did. Any power difference is hard to detect.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed with my SC when I first got it. My other "sports" car is a 86 (and 84) Mustang SVO Turbo 4cyl. It is pretty close to a race car with a licence plate on it and I was expecting the same performance from the SC. I have learned to love the SC for what it is, a performance touring car, not a racer. With nearly the same brakes and horsepower, softer suspension and 1000lbs more weight the SC cannot compete with the SVO but sure is a lot more comfortable on a long trip. Whether long flat deserted highways or twisty blacktop the SC handles it fast and with ease and comfort. No 7000rpm four droning your ears out or Koni's pounding your kidneys out. The instant low rpm torque of the blower is a joy too, but I miss the turbo rush. If you already like the SHO, I think you may like the SC as well.
Good Luck.
Steve Best

Yeah, I posted that I might want one from 92-95, because the later ones had more more hp and torque, the I started reading up about the them and read that you can mod the older ones to be just as powerful. I had a 91 and liked it a lot. I just like the body on the pre-94's a little better. I'd probably go with another 5-speed but If all I can find is an auto, I'll take it. By then, my SHO will be a 5-speed and that could be my auto car. All I can say is, the Super Coupe kicks some major ass in the handling department regardless of it's weight. Can't wait to get one....:D

With my 94 next to my buddies 90, his looks "crisper" with sharper, well defined lines. My 94 looks rounder, more inflated (sort of like I do over the years!). I do like the side ground effects and the door strip on the 94 better but is small compensation for the sharp bumper covers, hood and taillights on the 89-93. The rear bumper cover on the 94 looks "bent in" in the center.

The tan leather interior of my 94 certainly looks up to date but in a "generic japanese" sort of way. The black leather in my buddy's 90 SC has perforated (ventilated) leather center panels that are much cooler to sit on. His also has the center diagnostic panel that can tell you things like engine oil temp. That was dropped for 94. The dash layout and seats remind me more of a late 60s or early 70s Ford supercar while still while still having all the up to date goodies including better ergonomics. To sit in his car reminds me of my 67 4speed Mustang.

It is only the 94-95 that have the power increase, all the 89-93 cars have the same drivetrain I believe.

Steve Best

Personally I love my 93....Older body style but it has better ABS, newer gas tank(more options for exhaust), newer front spindles(more options for brakes) than the 89-92. Plus it has the directional rims and the LED taillights. One of the things I am going to change is when the car gets repainted I'm going to put on the 94-95 side moldings on. I have owned a 89, 92, 94 and 97 SHO's and loved them for what they are a quick 4 door, but in my opinion you just can't replace the low end torque and handling that a SC has.

DJ SHO

You might want to talk to HBK, he has a SHO daily driver & a Beautiful Blue 5-spd SC. He also just sold a black auto SC. So he know both the auto & 5-spd SC's.

Next time I see him OL, I'll let him know about your questions about SHO's & SC's.

68COUGAR

What is it that you have planned for your SC? Daily driver, race car? The first thing to do if you get an SC is upgrade the exhaust. Even if you have no plans to do any mods this is important. The biggest problem with SC's is potential headgasket failure. SC's and SHO's are very unique in their own way. I have both an SC and a SHO and I like them both for very different reasons. The SC has a lot of low end power where the SHO really shines when the secondaries open up. If your going to ask me which is faster well I'll put it like this: my SC has mods and is a 5-speed while my SHO is an ATX and is bone stock. The SC does not require any special maintainance like the SHO's 60k.

I post under Jazz95SHO on SHOforum but I haven't been there in a while.

Back