idle issues

krummy

i'm having on and off troubles with my idle heres what happens. sometimes the idle will fluctuate from around 1000 rpm to around 400 rpm and feels like it wants to stall but usually doesn't but on occasion it will stall also once in a while the car will stall while my foot is on the accelerator pedal giving it some gas and last but not least sometimes the car has trouble starting it will crank for a long time usually after running for a while anyone got any ideas

Can't be so vague. Have you done anything recently to the car? Do you have good plugs, wires, etc.....

How olds the cam sensor?

You need to check all of the vacuum hoses and see if they are all connected.

CMac89 said:
Can't be so vague. Have you done anything recently to the car? Do you have good plugs, wires, etc.....

How olds the cam sensor?

You need to check all of the vacuum hoses and see if they are all connected.
nope i haven't done anything new to the car nor have i checked anything yet just looking for ideas where to start its an 89 sc 5 speed

Cam sensor is an very common idle problem in these cars. I suggest you get a new one. Plugs and wires will help with the drivability also.

Normally with a bad cam sensor you'd get an irratic tach (early models) or a CEL - code 214. If it happens when it's warmed-up and will re-start after it's cooled down I would guess you have a subtle vacuum leak on the supercharger top or IC tubes (did you ever install a raised top ?). You might also want to check to see if your balancer is running true.

nope

top was never taken off but i did notice on the tube that comes off of the air filter on the bottom there is what looks like a vaccuum hose that doesn't connect to anything is that right

There is your vacuum leak (or at least one anyway). There should be a vac. hose going from there to the PCV valve in the valve cover on other side of motor.

Tracy

Check the function of your idle air control valve. I had problems you are describing, except eventually mine got stuck open and the car idled at 3000rpm. If the car is running and you pull the plug on the IAC, the car SHOULD die. If it doesnt, it has to be getting air from somewhere (ie faulty iac or vac leak). My car also cranked for a little longer after sitting, after replacing the IAC that went away.

Back