hey guys, Story (kinda long, bear with me) and advice needed....

sc steve

Ok SC guru’s, I found a very nice ‘89sc for sale for 2 grand. I guess I should start at the beginning though. On Saturday me and a buddy of mine took a ride up to a pawn shop/car audio shop so he could return his CD player (he buys all his stereo stuff from this place). I thought while I was out there I would see what I could get for my old subs and box. So anyway, my buddy told me that the shop owner might be interested in my car because I was looking to sell it soon. When we pulled in I saw a beautiful red 89 sc 5sp sitting in the parking lot. So we went in the shop and he returned his CD player and I sold my box and subs to the guy. Then I started shooting the **** with the owner of the shop and he asked what I was asking for my car so I told him that I was asking around 3 grand and he tells me “my buddy was selling his for 2 grand…. If you want to go take a look at it, it is sitting in the parking lot.” My jaw dropped, I guess you would have to see it to believe it. So I went outside and looked over the usual things, there was absolutely 100% NO RUST (which is hard to find in NY), the paint was immaculate it looked better than my old 97 t-bird did (there were a few very minor swirls and that kind of blemishes but that is about it). So the owner came over and I started talking to him, he told me that the water pump is new as well as the front brakes. The mufflers were rotting and he cut them and put 2 god awful 4” ricer tips where the tips used to be. He said that the rest of the exhaust would have to get done as well. So he started it up and it didn’t make a single chatter or rattle, the thing sounded like it had a brand new motor in it. So he told me that he was looking to get 2 grand for it because he didn’t like working on the motor and he didn’t really know too much about supercoupes. Sorry for the long story, but I don’t drive a 5sp very often and wanted to know how to tell if the clutch was going on it, and what would be other things to look for that could be wrong with it. The main reason why I ask is because he said he didn’t even have the title in the mail yet which leads me to believe there could be other things wrong with it than he isn’t telling me about, or plain and simple it is a car with high mileage that is PITA to work on that he didn’t want to deal with. The car is red with grey leather interior; the dash has a crack in it (not too big) the leather has average wear on it. The engine compartment was VERY CLEAN, not a single spot of grease or oil where I could see. All the belts looked pretty new, the alternator was new, the battery was new…. To be honest, the motor looked like it was brand spanking new. He did say that when in “firm” ride that the rear/drivers side shock knocked, but in auto it was fine (mine does the same thing). Ok, enough rambling…. What do you guys think? What should I look out for? I just kind of got screwed on my last sc and didn’t want it to happen again….. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it greatly.

-Steve
:D

Around my way, 2K is not bad - just be reasonable and add up what you need to do to the car and thats the real cost.

A new dash, a set of shocks and exhaust still would make the price reasonable.

Aaron

thanks...

I didn't think I was going to get a response:D ! I will find out more about getting it today. I will let you know when I get to drive it and look it over better... Thanks for the feedback

-Steve

Just be careful with a sparkling clean motor - it's been cleaned.

This is a plus when looking for leaks, but the sensors may have been exposed to high pressure water.

Check the hard to reach spots on the engine, if they are clean then the guy cleaning it probably was good enough not to blast the electronics (or you found the only Ford without oil leaks :D ).

Aaron

lol, Well I just got off the phone with the bank a few mins. ago, I am not going to be able to afford it. If anyone around the area is interested let me know and I will give you his number. It really is a beautiful car that needs to be in the hands of someone who really appreciates it.....

Back