Thread: window problem

window problem

i got my thunderbird and ive had 2 friends thunderbirds that have done this too. i tried to search but i couldnt find anything. the windows are up but you can push down with your hands from the outside and the window will come down, and the windows dont roll down from the inside, car has power windows.

Quote Originally Posted by KobleTsi
    i got my thunderbird and ive had 2 friends thunderbirds that have done this too. i tried to search but i couldnt find anything. the windows are up but you can push down with your hands from the outside and the window will come down, and the windows dont roll down from the inside, car has power windows.
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68720

You have his problem, and one that I have as well. Window has left the tracks. I use JB Weld, and have used epoxies in the past. No way around it I know of except for drilling a hole in the window and wiring it to the bar. That's my next DIY, because I am incredibly tired of these windows.

Ok now my pass. window rolls up and down but on the way down it has like a bad stutter, like it wants to go down but wont, and it like clicks as it is trying to go down. is it the motor? or off tack?

thanks alot for the help, im going to see about drilling a hole in the window, but wouldnt it shatter? thanks agian

koble

Quote Originally Posted by 91ScDrIvEr
    Ok now my pass. window rolls up and down but on the way down it has like a bad stutter, like it wants to go down but wont, and it like clicks as it is trying to go down. is it the motor? or off tack?
    My pass. window does that as well (LOVE this car!). I am told there are plastic gears in the motor that may have broken teeth.

Edit: It may infact shatter, but if you ask folks at HD or Lowe's, I am sure they have drilled glass (or more specifically safety glass).
    Last edited by JStudrawa; 10-04-2005 at 07:14 PM.

lol between the jb weld the rtv silicone and epoxy , and duraglas . i think the ductape helped as much as any

I tried many epoxies without much luck. I finally cured the problem by going to a junkyard and buying front windows out of a 93 and up Bird. Ford got tired of fixing windows that had seperated from the nylon clips and changed the clip to metal in 93.

Also check the inner and outer beltline moldings (bottom of windows). If there is no more felt on the backside, replace them, especially if your front windows are tinted. There is a lot of friction between window tint and rubber...enough to keep pulling my old windows out of the clips.