Home from the SCS...had a great time

007_SuperCoupe

Well, after making the roughly 7-hour trip home with just enough time to get the SC unloaded, we headed another 1.5 hours north to meet Grandpa with the other 2 kids...then the 1.5 hour trip back...We got home at 9:00 last evening.

The event seemed to start out pretty interesting with check-in at the hotel...For those of you who checked in on Friday afternoon you know what I'm talking about...for those of you who don't....let's just say she had more facial hair than John Shelton! And then the smell of the very recently flooded hotel room was enough to get me to go all the way to Walmart to get some $15 in airfresheners...I think by Sunday either the smell was gone, or I was just used to it...

Then came the "Who wants to volunteer to go to the dyno at 8:00?" Well, I figured since I've got the 2.5 month old, I should just go a head and jump on it...that, and I definately wanted to be back to the hotel room to watch my college football team lose in the last 13 seconds of the game... I only think there was 2 other witnesses to Dan Sly loosing his windshield for a 2nd year in a row. I think we need to get a warning light rigged up for him....

That was followed by an impromptu burnout in the parking lot...Wow, that was rough. Nothing like bouncing the engine off the rev limiter... Then there was the battery tie down (You're welcome Marc...even though you really only needed it once...) and changing the accessory belt in the parking lot.

The dinner "prizes" were fun while I was able to start putting names with faces.

And then there was the "cruise" and the police and after that, I'm not sure what happed...I made myself pretty scarce for an hour or so.

Sunday's competition was just a total blast. Once the "inspection" was complete, we were down the track. Dave N made his first pass and Marc just stayed at the starting line with the record slowest reaction time of the day....over 7 seconds...just to see Dave's car run...

The rest of the competition went well for those who didn't break and good for those who could get fixed. For those who couldn't compete, it was even better because of all the help that was being thrown around to get people back on the road.

I had a really great time, and even though my wife had to spend more time inside than she would have liked, she also had a great time. On the way home she was even talking about getting her own SC to compete in years to come. We've already started the SCS fund for '06...

Sam,

It was really nice meeting you and your family. I hope your son was able to sell most of the popcorn and other goodies you brought.

My car is still sitting on the trailer, but I should have enough help to get it off and pushed into the garage later today. My history of mechanical problems/failures at every Shootout remains in tact and will likely continue. Next year I'll bring the 91 and a bunch of nitrous and see what breaks :D

As usual, Kathy and I had a great time. It's always amazing to see the way everyone helps each other out at these meets. As you can see, these meets are really about the people and the cars are just a good excuse for us to get together.

David

David,

Alex sold a good portion of the popcorn, but he was too into playing with the other kids around the hotel, than actively trying to sell popcorn. It's still good though because he has just under 2 weeks to sell and needs roughly $91 to reach his goal.

I knew that the shootout was using the cars as an excuse to get together and just hang out for a few hours with people from all over North America...(Just for you crazy Canadians!)

We'll have to have a few other excuses to get together as well...My wife says that we have to personally deliver some popcorn to her uncle...in St. Louis...Not sure when it'll happen, but it's only about a 6 hour drive from here.

Maybe my wife will have her own SC for the '07 shootout...(I've got a few more things to do to mine first... 1) lentech valve body, 2) non-locking torque converter, 3) some relatively minor head work, 4) mild cam, 5) injectors, etc. And I even think that I've got a little more support from the Mrs. on some of those items! :D

Here are a few pictures of the shootout...

Attachments

• 764672-R1-07-17A.JPG
    764672-R1-07-17A.JPG
    359.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 764672-R1-08-16A.JPG
    764672-R1-08-16A.JPG
    353.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 764672-R1-09-15A.JPG
    764672-R1-09-15A.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 128
  • 764672-R1-10-14A.JPG
    764672-R1-10-14A.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 2,169
  • 764672-R1-11-13A.JPG
    764672-R1-11-13A.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 2,221
007_SuperCoupe said:
And the only evidence that I have of my fastest run...

I'm pretty sure that I've got a video of that run :D I'll try to get to it tonight and send it to you tonight.

-Melon

Back