Car leaks Oil only when shut off!

Bigme574

What would cause a vehicle to do this? It only leaks oil when the vehicle is shut off. Could it be an ATF leak that spins with torque converter and then leaks when not spinning"? It seems to be motor oil and it is low on oil when checked. Any ideas??

Thanks

alot

It is leaking quite substantially...like 1/4 of a quart after 2-3 shut offs...so in a given day I would need to add about a quart...

It probably has less to do with it being running or not and more to do with how warm the engine is. Things swell with heat and sometimes seal better. This is also very true in the aircraft world. You can try to tighten your valve cover gaskets down a bit more as they are rubber compound. Just dont go too far or they will leak worse.

Can you tell where the general area the leak is coming from......

Front or back of the motor would probably be main seals....

Rear corners would probably be valve covers.....

leak

Nope...No leaking at or around the valve covers...the tranny/rear main area seem to be the culprit area. I took out tranny...rear main looks fine, no oil reserviors and no spray! I am lost...

Get the oil dye kit from a parts house and run it for a little. the dye with black light will make it obvious where its coming from.

well same here...I found my oil filter dripping after shutdown...next morning a lot too....1/2 a turn on the filter fixed that!!! was a mess under there too, I have maped leaks on my birds & I do this in the morning cool, pour gas over my
suspect areas & rinse off the oils, push the car back clean up hot soapy water
(dish soap like dawn) let dry & go drive & watch where it runs from. works for me.
Matt

filter

Man, how I wish it was my oil filter...that would be easy! No luck here, no direction...O well...Time for a new Honda...yes, I said HONDA and it gets 40MPG at 140HP.

Dont let a simple thing like an oil leak drive you to a Honda :eek: All those miles per gallon still arent worth the cool points to me.

Back