Ugh tires, a rant and a question

RichM

So I've got a hole in one of my Michelin Pilot XGTs. The local shop doesn't have one and are telling me that Michelin is discontiuning that model. I've spent the last hour reading the Michelin and BFGoodrich web sites and can't seem to find a good tire in the stock size (225/60 16). I've been happy with the Pilots for years.

So who's running what now a day?

Search:

Tires

You'll find more threads on this than you'll actually want to read. I am running Scorchers. They could be a little better, I am running a 245/40/17 though.

Rich, If you have a Big O tires down there try checking them out. I know they have a michelin tire that looked pretty nice. I just got new tires there a week ago. I got the Falken Ziex 245/50/16. They are a lower profile but look nice on the stock rim. I am very satisfied with the Falkens. this is the second set. I had no problem driving from the OKC shootout last week at 90 MPH in the rain. Likewise driving around town today in the pouring rain. They are a softer tire but they stick to the road very well. I paid $421 for all 4 mounted and balanced with an alignment included.

Sumitomo HTR+'s! They are a "Ultra High Performance" all season tire. $59/ea from Tirerack for 225/60/16. I run these and they work pretty good.

Avon Tech M550 A/S's are supose to be the best all season high performance tire you can buy today, but they dont make them in stock size :(

My next tires for the restored 95 Super Coupe-BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW in 225/55ZR16-unless I change rims, then I'll go a different size in the same tire. I'm seriously considering a set of run-flats with sensors mounted on the wheel inside the tire to monitor pressure.

gforce_kdw_large.jpg

Last edited:
I've had many different tires on my 2 cars (the SC and Cougar) over the 130K miles I've driven them. Right now, the SC has Continental Extreme Contacts on it and the Cougar has BFGoodrich Traction TA T's on it (with the gear change it doesn't go over 98mph, so Z rated tires are a waste of money). They make H and V rated Traction TAs and the Conti's are Z rated. These are by far the 2 best sets of tires I've had on any vehicle.

The BFG's are awesome in the rain. No hydroplaning at all and the sorta weak 4.6 can only occasionally spin them with the 3.55s on really glassy roads when wet. Dry it's braketorque only to break them loose. 15k miles and they have about 2/3 tread on 2 and 3/4 tread on the other 2 (just rotated them today). 1 of them even has a patch on it as I had a 3/4" chunk of plastic tear into it with less than 2k mile on it. After the patch, it's still wearing as normal.

The Conti's are even better. They have about 10k on them and 2/3 tread left (the SC spins ALOT more). Handling is slightly better than the BFGs and straightline grip is a little better. It's hard to compare dry traction as the SC has alot more power.

Both are great in the snow for a 'performance' tire on a rear drive car.

For $70-$90 in stock size, either model is a good choice. I know I'll be using them again.

Back