Need some help please

94SCblack5speed

Behind the harmonic balancer there is a metal circular ring with teeth that im guessing has something to do with timing. Im not sure if its pressed on there or what but the ring itself is really lose and can be moved around alot. It moves and vibrates and makes a sound anytime the engine is running. Anyone else had this problem ?

On the early models it was bolted to the dampener. Can't remember how the late model units attach. Irregardless that is what the crank position sensor uses for its signal. Are you getting a check engine light? You need to determine why/how the ring got loose and get it fixed as soon as you can.

94SCblack5speed said:
Behind the harmonic balancer there is a metal circular ring with teeth that im guessing has something to do with timing. Im not sure if its pressed on there or what but the ring itself is really lose and can be moved around alot. It moves and vibrates and makes a sound anytime the engine is running. Anyone else had this problem ?

It's held on with 4 bolts and should not be loose. That ring along with your crank position sensor provides a signal to EEC and ignition system telling the computer what position the crank shaft is in. I'm not sure you can get to the bolts without first removing the balancer.

Here's a picture of what the ring looks like on the backside of the balancer.

bad-crank.jpg

David

Bolts

yep looked at it again today and i can see the threads where the bolts are suppose to be. Could this by a reason why im gettin such bad vibration? thanks

Yes, thread russerrection....

I just found out that the horrible noise my car is making is coming from the timing ring, it appears as if thers only 1 bolt holding it on :confused:

Anyone have any suggestions about where the other 3 bolts went or how they would have come off?

It seems like the balancer needs to come off to replace the bolts. Anyone have any experience with fixing a loose ring?

Thanks,
Nick

Yep , just like David said. Remove the balancer to get to the bolts. You might have a broken balancer also,. Not un common

If you are going to remove the balancer you might as well figure on getting a new one to replace it. The AL Hub is sleeved with steel and most have not had good luck in reusing one that has been replaced. As you can see from the pic David posted...that is a broken damper and as stated it is quitte common due to the design of the OEM. This is assuming of course you have an OEM Damper in the first place. Save yourself some trouble and upgrade to a BHJ Damper or equivalent.

Ill try pulling the balancer off tomorrow, ill try to post some pics of how it goes.

I think its an OEM balancer, i cant really tell for sure. Id like to get a new bhj balancer, but moneys kinda tight, so hopefully i can fix what i got.

Thanks for the replies
-Nick

Some pics

The HB came off ok, and it turns out that all the bolts were there that hold the ring on, they were just loose.

HB looked like it came off pretty easy. I dint do it myself, fortunately for me, i know a good mechanic that owed me a favor.

So we just put some loctite on the bolts, and the balancer looked good so we put it back on. Started er up, runs fine, no noise!

Heres some pics

Car in shop
IMAGE_133.jpg

Puller on hb
IMAGE_126.jpg

HB out of car
IMAGE_128.jpg

IMAGE_127.jpg

IMAGE_130.jpg

hb going bak in
IMAGE_131.jpg

IMAGE_124.jpg