New source for head gaskets

Dave,

I would mention that you might want to focus on one area at a time. IE, if you upgrade the intercooler, well, how are you getting the air to the new intercooler? Then you have to look into piping. And if you are doing that, you will want to port out your plenum and manifold. And if you upgrade injectors, you will need a calibrated MAF or a computer retune. So I would advise you to research each group or area of mods before you start each one.

Like, for example, I bought a 3" cold air intake several months ago. Then I decided that I would buy a 75mm TB, and found a great deal on a 76mm MAF. Trouble is, now I need a 3.5" intake to match these parts. And I could buy a nice one for $120, but it seems too much, so I want to build one. So I have spent a bunch of time ferreting out 3.5" pipe, which is rare, and the proper rubber or silicone couplers and bends, and a proper fitting for the PCV. All told, it has been much more work than I thought, and I probably should have coughed up the cash for a ready-made one. Anyway, I hope you see what I'm trying to say.

Steve

P.S. - How hard is it to come up with a 3.8 SC engine? Seriously, that should never have been an obstacle to this Cometic thing.

P.S. - How hard is it to come up with a 3.8 SC engine? Seriously, that should never have been an obstacle to this Cometic thing.

Steve,

This thread was about Anthony Poole trying to get SCE to make Titan rubber embossed copper head gaskets for an SC. He is the guy who dropped the ball (no big suprise to anyone who knows him)....he's also the guy who dropped the ball on the 2005 SC Shootout DVD.

Cometic MLS gasket deal got further along before it died. Here's the thread with all the info on it.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56989&highlight=Cometic+head+gasket

David

PS: I think the Cometics were a better option.

I see what you're getting at and I understand 100 percent, also, I'm taking in everyone's advice for what it's worth and learning from everything, I thank you for your insight and expertise.

The planned mods were just that . . .planned mods, everything happens along the way of tuning unless you do it all in one go. As everyone here can attest for, if you start out working on one area, something in another area either 1) catches your attention because it seems fun to change out or 2) catches your attention because it either WAS broken or is NOW broken.

We'll see what happens as time moves on, I bought to light of setting a horsepower goal. Now, although I know it may seem like a lot, slightly over 400 wheel is something that I'm looking forward to. Mostly because, as I stated previously, a 12 second car offers a motorsport balance like no other, it's like a magic number on the circuit. A lot of cars can run 12 seconds with stock or near-stock gearing and, according to some of the more mechanically inclined members of my racing team, 12 seconds shouldn't be that hard to attain. This is keeping in mind that this is in a RELATIVE sense as compared to . . . .oh say . . .my BMW, LOL! I realize this is still going to take money and effort and I'm prepared to dish that out as necessary, where necessary and when necessary. So yeah, we'll see where things go, like most tuners and racers in the SCCA, I'm going to take this one mod at a time, if I run across a mod that doesn't quite agree with what I'm trying to do, so be it, I'll either scrap the mod or build around it in another direction. That's part of the "error" in trial and error.

SCCOA RULES!
-Dave

P.S-I couldn't quite place my finger on it at first, but after typing this out I realized why you shouldn't have put the work "LIKE" before "For Example". I realized it was improper English, LOL, but I didn't know why . . . .LOL! It's Subject-Predicate confusion *slaps forehead* ROFLOL!

You guys are probably like, "What a DWEEB!" but it the ONLY reason it bothered me is because it stuck out immediately when reading the post and I couldn't tell why until like 10 minutes later, ROFLOL! Oh well, I'm done . . . .:D

RAWK SCCOA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well 400rwhp on an SC is not an easy feat using the stock Supercharger. Unlike a turbo the lil eaton takes a bit of Hp to just spin..And it doesnt like to be spun to much past 16psi without completely heating up the air...

Depending on how much custom work you would like or can do yourself depends on how much all of this will cost you.

Our IC sucks....And I dont think there is a better word to describe it...For what you want to do an IC upgrade is a must as well as a RAD upgrade. Do teh IC once and do it right and you wont have to worry about it later on. If you have someone that can do tubing for you have one custom made . I can point you to a good cheap IC core

Cometic makes the gaskets for both Felpro and Ford the MLS ones from what I understand....Very important you get the proper surface machined before using...They require a mirror like surface.

Also....You may want to look into getting your heads ported and new springs installed.......Along with a cam.....Whiel yer at it if you plan on making some power

THENNNN......An upgraded SC such as a twin screw..You will barely get near 350rwhp with stock SC...

i can give you a list of things to buy or to make or to do...400 wont be easy

Well D, I can't honestly say that I was expecting it to be easy . . .I mean . . .if I wanted it to be "easy" I would go with the 351 or 302 swap . . .THEN start upgrading.

But that would defeat the purpose. I could also scrap the whole supercharged idea and convert for turbo . . . .that way, even if I want to stay supercharged, I can just go centrifugal. I have plenty of tricks up my sleeve, I mean, I could also buy another SC engine, and work on it while it's out of the car . . .then take a week or so and put it in at a later date. I mean, 400hp . . .easy . . .no . . .impossible . . .not even. Hell, I have dreams of 500hp . . .but I don't think the SC block can hold that, so if I plan on going that high, I'm going to add two more cylinders and some exhaust-driven forced induction into this equation.

-Dave

Cometic makes the gaskets for both Felpro and Ford the MLS ones from what I understand

Damon,

Never heard this before. Always thought that Ford was getting the MLS gaskets from Felpro and that Felpro also sold the same gaskets as replacements under a different part number.

David

OKAY!!!!!

This is starting to get ULTRA DEPRESSING!

This is starting to seem like a bigger and more expensive job every time I look down at it . . . .this is starting to turn into one of those: Fix it or junk it ideas.

I guess before I fix it I'll post it in our classifieds see if I can at least make about 500 bucks from the parts from it first...

I dont' know, the only reason why I say this is because this couldn't have happened at a worse time. First this car's engine blows up on me. Then my beater (which was supposed to be my "reliable car") throws a rod and the engine seizes completely. So now I'm down to nothing . . . this leaves me with NO way to get to work and I've got 2, count em TWO, P.O.S cars sitting in my drive way. This is HORRIBLE! So now I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to find a temporary car, and that's not cheap, so it's just pulling MORE time and MORE money away from fixing the Tbird . . .I'm moving shortly, so this all is starting to seem like an EXTREMELY ill-timed project/purchase.

I might just sell it or part it out...

-Dave

Last edited:
I have a Dodge Stratus on eBay right now. It's been really reliable; the only real problem is that it leaks oil externally from the head gasket. Take a look - I can't get to eBay right now because I'm at work, but search for "1999 Dodge Stratus 2.4L Auto ---No Reserve---" or something like that. It's purple with a white hood. It might be in your price range.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=320060419026&rd=1&rd=1

It will be over in a day, so think fast!

Last edited:
Back