Electric Window rebuild (pics)

Broke Neck

Well I know its fairly simply, but theres people like myself who know nothing about these cars, that and seeing it and being told it are two different things.

So I went to Napa and bought replacement gears for both of my windows

So here goes

Take off the door panel, and remove the three brass screws holding the motor in place, then unclip the motor.
1___________________________.JPG

Take the cover off the top of the gear, and see first hand what you destroyed
2_____________________________.JPG

Remove the C-Clip on the top of the gear (make sure not to lose it you can reuse this)
3__________________________.JPG

Replace three plastic cylinders (dont know proper name for these), also this was a trial and error thing for me, I bought both gears and they came with the three little cylinders ... when I opend it up, I relized I could of just bought the three little plastic pieces and saved myself 20 bucks - on top of that Napa gave me the wrong gear anyways.
4________________________.JPG

Clean out the motor of all remains of the stock plastic pieces you blew apart, and loob it up with grease
5____________________.JPG

Make sure to return that C clip on the top of the gear, and put the cover back over the motor, and bolt it back in place.

Im sure there are people just like me, pictures just work alot better than trying to explain it.

while you're in there you should also look into the issues that caused the motor to fail.

the guide track for the motor is tack welded to some brackets attached to the inner door panel. Those tack welds can crack allowing the tracks (on the left and right of the glass) move creating resistance for the window to move as it gets lower into the door.

The metal regulator track also should get lubed to keep things sliding.

And the felt in the guide tracks can get worn off, the only fix being to to replace the rubber guide pieces. Don't know if these are still available from ford.

Nice pictures.

Steel nuts work but the defeat the safety part of the design. Those nubs are designed to come apart rather than allow the window to slice through a body part that's hanging outside the window.

Mike8675309 said:
Steel nuts work but the defeat the safety part of the design. Those nubs are designed to come apart rather than allow the window to slice through a body part that's hanging outside the window.

when ya go through those gears like water those nuts sure look promising

Gee, I never thought about putting nuts in there. In a couple of neighborhoods aroud here, it could be considered a safer to have them in there.

I dunno.. the nylon plugs are not all that soft. Not sure they would shear to save an obstruction. To me, they look like they were made to reduce noise and to provide a very slight cushion for when the window reaches full extent. They probably keep the plastic outer housing and inner race from cracking from the repeated shocks of the landing :)

I'll see if I can find a rigid but crushable item to test it out the give theory.. :eek:

Last edited:
If you test it, make sure you don't allow it to squish out on the ends. From what I've seen they will compress and then shatter.

Back