Z06 owners are great

Blown 91 Bird

so today leavin work i had a guy in a yellow Z06 come up behind me on the highway haulin ~~~... so i got into the gas as he passed me and caught up with him just as he was turning into a gas station. So i went in as well (needed somethin anyways) and talked to him a little when i came out. Was tellin me how its a stock 03 and he keeps beatin up on everything around town (at this point i was laughing to myself). I proceeded to tell em i had somethin that he couldnt handle that i could go get if he wanted to play for some $$$ then pointed to the bird and told him he probably couldnt keep up wiht it out the hole. He laughed and told me i had no chance with a stock t-bird with no poweradders (i love clueless people :D) against him. So after eggin him on he said lets go he wants me to see what his tail lights look like. We line up and i bring it up on the converter (makin about 3lbs of boost) and i honk it off. I launch with a little chirp and instantly making 8lbs of boost and climbing to just over 10lbs quick. While this is goin on and im already in 2nd and hes about 2 cars back burnin the tires. I get into third and he finally comes around me at about 90 and gets out of the gas.

I come up next to him cruisin and he just had this :eek: :confused: look on his face and then we went our seperate ways. LMAO.

Now i know if there was someone in the vette that knew how to drive, i woulda got ate up...but that ~~~~ made my day to beat up on a z06 out the hole with a pretty much stock T-bird :D

get some more work done to your engine and you wont have to worry about the driver.. you will be able to just take them out anyways.. :)

well so long as theyre stock.. nothing against LS6s but hey our cars only cost what .. ? a few grand ? maybe.

good kill

Thunder427 said:
get some more work done to your engine and you wont have to worry about the driver.. you will be able to just take them out anyways.. :)

well so long as theyre stock.. nothing against LS6s but hey our cars only cost what .. ? a few grand ? maybe.

good kill

not gonna do too much to the bird since its my daily car. When im done it'll have a 5% jackshaft, cai, 70mm tb, mustang shorty's, 2.25 catless downtubes into a 2.5 with a resonator and out to 2.5 twin kooks oval mufflers, ic fan and maybe a small wet kit. Dont really wanna hurt it as it was already a pita doing it once, and dont have the room really right now to do it :(

With that, i figure it'd only be a 13.0 or so car? Good driver in a stock Z06 (pre 04) can go 12.70's on stock tires (ive witnessed this, not "googled", have vid on tape). It'd still take finding a bozo for a worthless race, or a somewhat decent driver for a "good" race.

I agree on price..but thats pretty much apples/oranges on that subject. built my 88 stang for $3500 (including car) and it'll go 11.30's and still has a/c, p/s, stock shortblock 302 on a small kit. Heh..even has a 4cyl T5 in it :eek:. No problem taking out stock/mildly modded z06's. :D

Last edited:
Blown 91 Bird said:
not gonna do too much to the bird since its my daily car. When im done it'll have a 5% jackshaft, cai, 70mm tb, mustang shorty's, 2.25 catless downtubes into a 2.5 with a resonator and out to 2.5 twin kooks oval mufflers, ic fan and maybe a small wet kit. Dont really wanna hurt it as it was already a pita doing it once, and dont have the room really right now to do it :(

With that, i figure it'd only be a 13.0 or so car? Good driver in a stock Z06 (pre 04) can go 12.70's on stock tires (ive witnessed this, not "googled", have vid on tape). It'd still take finding a bozo for a worthless race, or a somewhat decent driver for a "good" race.

I agree on price..but thats pretty much apples/oranges on that subject. built my 88 stang for $3500 (including car) and it'll go 11.30's and still has a/c, p/s, stock shortblock 302 on a small kit. Heh..even has a 4cyl T5 in it :eek:. No problem taking out stock/mildly modded z06's. :D
the best performance of a z06 is on the top end. And they do sound ferocious. But they don't make alot of torque down low. I hustled with a stock '05 vette a little past 100mph once, he was making alot of noise, but he didn't pull away like I thought he would. 12 second 1/4 mile tells only part of the story- what those cars are able to do in a street scenario is another story.

hytorksc said:
the best performance of a z06 is on the top end. And they do sound ferocious. But they don't make alot of torque down low. I hustled with a stock '05 vette a little past 100mph once, he was making alot of noise, but he didn't pull away like I thought he would. 12 second 1/4 mile tells only part of the story- what those cars are able to do in a street scenario is another story.

You might want to recheck your information or look at a Z06 dyno chart from one of the 405hp/400 ft-lbs vette's. Pretty sure you'll find that they're throwing down 300 ft-lbs to the wheels(around 350 ft-lbs @ the flywheel) as soon as you romp on the gas. ;)

http://www.boostaholic.com/z06/andi_z06_dyno_stock.gif

http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/6189MAS-Z06-04-Stock1.JPG

yeah the LS6 has low end torque.

but his point was "driver ability". he knew how to ease up on the SC and take advantage of the gobs of low end torque we have. whereas the Vette driver was just a guy who bought a Z06, and obviously does not know how to launch :)

12.60s is all ? ive seen basically stock ones hit 11.9s i was like :eek:

seriously bone stock, maybe just better traction.

I've tried to get two seperate C5s to race me, and neither would =/ I would be happy just to get one to race.

2 guys in a convertable c5 staring me down when I'm pulling out onto a road, I pull up next to them at a light and they're still looking at my car, so I figured I would have a little fun.

I say, "How much horsepower does that thing have?" the guy just chuckles and starts reving it while saying "350". I said, "Oh, I only have 400" (estimated 400hp at the crank, since he gave me his crank hp numbers). He looks at me like "Yeah right ricer". So I said, "Oh? You don't believe me?" So when the light turns green, I rev it up to about 5500rpm and launch the crap out of it.

Nothing like showing a corvette owner what a sub 4 second 0-60 (according to my g-tech) looks like. I bet that was the quickest grocery getter he's ever seen eh? Next light he turns off onto the cruising "loop". I couldn't find him the rest of the night.

Like I said though, atleast you got him to race.

too bad it was an idiot with an LS1 :) that underestimated an evo.

if it was a smart person with an LS1, watch out :) my friends 98 camaro alls they did was the SLP CAI, a nice catback exhaust, headers, and a nice tuning program and it was making 360 rwhp :) as soon as someone opens up those 346 CI V8's with heads and cam, say goodnight :)

Theres always bigger and better on the street man. I think a 360rwhp is gonna still have a hard time with my 320awhp. He's going to play catchup most of the race and maybe pull at the end of a 1/4. Stop light to stop light though, on street tires it's over with IMO.

I've seen fully built 03 cobras and LS1 camaros, twin charged corvettes and anything else you want to see get run by an evo. This guy Chris in Pensacola has one of the sickest street machines around....lemme find some links here....

Thunder427 said:
12.60s is all ? ive seen basically stock ones hit 11.9s i was like :eek:

seriously bone stock, maybe just better traction.

ive never seen or heard of a 100% stock PRE 04 Z06 going 11 anything (thats the pre 405hp model). One you saw may have been an 04 or a modded pre 04.

oldschoolmuscle said:
obviously you have never seen a trans braked car with slicks.

ive seen many..and ive seen many try to leave off the brake in the street and do nothin but burn the tires. Even on slicks with a good amount of power, takes a decently prepped spot or a nice concrete pad to be able to actually leave and "hook" off the brake (in the street, the track is a entire different place as im sure you know).

why is it every time i say something " 1fastsc" takes it the wrong way.

I was simply saying that LS1s are awesome engines. how do you not find a mere exhaust/intake upgrade making that much power not impressive ?

no one was asking you about your evo. dont over flatter yourself.

im not being one of those typical idiots who says " yo my buddys car this and that"

typical guys like you with small engines making decent power always talk about your cars that you have seen beat this and that, and are ALWAYS 03' Cobras and such. Which I find funny because 03' Cobras are such an extreme force to be reckoned with. you think AWD is so supreme over everything and everyone, 320 "awhp" is not that impressive. Your car is not the "end-all" car of performance cars. I dont care what evos you have seen do this and that. im glad you have AWD go and take it in the dirt where it is meant to be.

RWD is better for alot of reasons, such as lateral acceleration. I mention how easilly the power is attained in an LS1 and you boast " i dunno man he would have a hard time hanging with me" when no one asked you to race.

you are just like the SRT-4 guys, " oh i beat this 03' cobra and that" do you know how many 03' cobras are running around with 500 rwhp from a catback exhaust and 2.85 pulley size change ? 90% of them are not stock. and the ones that are might get beat by modified Evos. Evos are not supreme, they are actually very ugly, and low quality mitsu junk. good for WRC. "twin charged vettes" getting beaten by evos.. ok so you are trying to say that somehow a turbo 4 cylinder has more potential than a TT V8 ? or that Evo had alot MORE and SMARTER things done to it. The video above is a good example of a good TT setup with LESS BOOST on a bigger engine. Everyone can say " well that trans am has a better setup than the supra blah blah" NO. both setups came down to pure displacement. The TA is a 346 CID V8, about 100 CI or more than the Supra. That plays a huge role in the power it is producing. you guys have like short man syndrome. you have to act big and tough and always compare to other V8 super cars. i hate to inform you of this, but your Evo engine is never going to make the kind of power an LS1 or any V8 or bigger displacement engine has the potential to make. if you looked into physics more you would understand that your car is really only superior for traction when it comes to racing in say snow or dirt. You use this traction advantage as a comparison to RWD cars with lots of power with regular suspension and stock tires. get over yourself, and more importantly your car. why are you on SCCOA ?

yes i was talking about an 04' Z06.. :)

Last edited:
The more people make comments like "This is a thunderbird site" "Why are you here?" etc, the more it makes me want to stay. I started off being here because I owned an SC, now I'm just here so that you guys can't post your "ricer ricer ricer ricer" stuff without an objective opinion.

You think the evo didn't smack down the twin charged vette? I think I actually have the friggin video on my hard drive.

Oops, I made a mistake, it's a 650rwhp procharged vette...I assume that means it's supercharged.

ftp://ftp.sysadmin-racing.com/videos/SRVidz/SRvidzevoz06_lowquality02.wmv

There he is vs the z06

ftp://ftp.sysadmin-racing.com/videos/SRVidz/SRvidz_EVOViper_lowquality.wmv

Supercharged viper

ftp://ftp.sysadmin-racing.com/videos/SRVidz/evocobras.wmv

I think this one was against a KB cobra, and another cobra.

I will say this though, people compare their cars to the 03 cobra because it's a friggin benchmark of what most would consider a VERY fast out of the box production car.

btw right click those videos, save target as...

mfewtrail said:
You might want to recheck your information or look at a Z06 dyno chart from one of the 405hp/400 ft-lbs vette's. Pretty sure you'll find that they're throwing down 300 ft-lbs to the wheels(around 350 ft-lbs @ the flywheel) as soon as you romp on the gas. ;)

http://www.boostaholic.com/z06/andi_z06_dyno_stock.gif

http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/6189MAS-Z06-04-Stock1.JPG
you're right- i stand corrected. i've seen the older stock z06's racing on the street and to me they just made a fabulous noise, but not all that I expected. They are definitely fast though- power to weight ratio is good, especially on the '06 z06. i saw one of those get down, and they are absolutely mean above 80mph- they move like a sport bike.

Last edited:
Damn that evo was fast! but man....I'd rather have the slower KB stang damn if it didn't sound so sweet...... Even when the evo passed it you could here that blower screaming under the hood...

Too bad the EVO was gettin pulled by the Vette until he went into 6th gear at a .63:1 overdrive.

But still, guess who still made more HP and was probably running less than half the boost of the EVO.

That's an extremely conservative number for the vette so it was definitely a D1-SC whenever the F1-SC cars are making 800-1000hp.

I'm just pickin on ya 1fastsc, I aint mad at ya. Just havin fun :) .

so again what are you trying to prove ?

that evos can be fast ? you can make anything fast.

my point is you guys always point out videos on the internet like that, trying to show something. like the evo has magic.

theres still no replacement for displacement, and all of those cars have potential of being a hell of alot faster than the Evo.

no engine is running at 100% volumetric efficiency, but guess what, the more cubes you have, the more air is running through your engine, and the more power you can make.

now forgive me if im taking you the wrong way, but i run into way to many people who simply do not understand that, and show endless video clips of hatchback civics and other small engine cars running with super-cars. impressive, but just imagine what can be done with the average Viper.

the most powerful 4 cylinder engine in the racing world is almost 4000 ( has alot more displacement than your standard B16) horsepower. the most powerful 8 cylinders in the racing world are 7000 ( roots blown 600+ CI monsters ) horsepower.
that was my main point.

and by the way, that camaro hooked VERY WELL. now it may sound like im contradicting myself because i have a 3.8 V6, although I plan on getting an AR for it i still dont want the most powerful car around the area. If i did i would be building a blown rat motor..

i understand what you mean about the 03' cobra, but people dont just see how they stack up against it and give it respect, they build cars like SRT-4s ( not dodge but the people modifying stock SRT's ) to try and run with them and then they try to ridicule the cobra. thats what pisses me off.

i dunno whatever, do what you have fun in.

Back