The new THUNDERBIRD SUPERCOUPE, maybe??

This is what I think:

The T-Bird should be held to its heritage, luxury and performance. Just think of the 57, 67, the Turbo Coupe's, and the SC's. While all of these had forced air from the factory there were also other versions for those years. My dad had a 91 and wouldn't set foot in a SC or the V8. The base V6 was exactly what he wanted and needed. I think one of Fords big mistakes with the last version they produced was that they only had one engine to offer, which wasn't very powerful for the price, though Thunderbirds have always been more expensive than the more powerful (in most cases) Mustangs.

But to come out with a Thunderbird that has atleast 2 to 3 engine options and have a good mix between luxury and perfomance in that one package is what will bring in the customers, past and present.

SO, heres are my ideas on building a new one:

Engine
Base V6 with 200 to 230 HP, Option V8 with 300 to 320 HP, and a Supercharged V8 with 420 to 450 HP

Transmission
Base 5 speed auto for both base V6, optional V8, and supercharged V8, and a 6 speed manual for the S/C V8 only

Suspension
Front and rear independent with auto ride on the base model and driver controlled electronic adjustable on the S/C

I think the body should be a coupe style with a possible convertable top (if looks permit) It should be a compilation of all the great features of all years of Tbird.

But thats just my opinion I could be wrong.

OK I'll bite:

RWD with optional AWD
112" wheelbase
5 passenger
decent size trunk
4 wheel disk brakes
LSD
anti-lock brakes
traction control (can be turned off with temporarily)
stability control (can be turned off with temporarily)
4 wheel independent suspension
Hock's engine/transmission packages - well thought out and available
weight 3200-3400 NO MORE
drop dead hot looking car
Wheels 16" V6 - 17" V8 -18" Super/turbo - nothing retro unless a hot looking 5 spoke from the past (What they put on the new mustang is horrible)
a dash with fully functional guages thad don't look like they came on a power wheels (from what I have seen in pictures, that is what they used in the Fusion)
Design the platform with 2 door/2 door convertible/ and 4 doors in mind.
Only design the Thunderbird with 2 door/2 door convertible in Mind
V8: 0-60 under 6 seconds and quarter in under 14.5 ( you can decide the other 2)

Base 6 cylinder $20-25K
V8 $25-30
Super/Turbocharged $30-35 ( this might have to be higher )

This is all a dream... The best thing would be to do is build the last production SC and then modify it some the next year.
:eek:

Just from a quick glace at that Aussie page, you could do some retooling and make it have more of the MN12 front end. No more tail lights that you can only buy from the dealer. Keep it simple and for gosh sakes, make the gosh dang parts interchangable with AT LEAST something with a following. I agree with the v-6 sc. I also like the idea of a 6 speed. This is the same style of car that would be road race worthy. Try to keep the weight down with plastic hoods/fenders. I think some sort of scoop like the Ram Air TA (one of my all time favorites...even though I hate the GM) and call it a day. Last but not least, KEEP IT AFFORDABLE. This 30k for a car stuff is crap. I like more of a 20k kind of thing myself.

Chris

As I said before, my letter will be just one of 1000's of offers . I may never get the O.K , but I gotta try . All that aside , if a THUNDERBIRD could be made at $25,000.00-$32,000.00 ,two door , rear drive , V-8 , would any of you want to by it ? Because if guy's who are supposed to be in love with the car like me are knocking me that bad , maybe I shouldnt try to bring it back. So my question still stands for some of you, would you buy it if I could do it ? And thanks to a few of you for keeping this from being just my car .

GT block ("GT", not a 2v 4.6) stuffed with a billet crank and titanium rods
Cobra R heads fully CNC'd
Sullivan's new 4.6/5.4 Victor Jr style Intake w/ custom elbow & 90mm TB
F.A.S.T XFI box
160lb injectors
Procharger F3R
Rossler TH210 3spd
stock "4-link" suspension w/ live axle 8.8 thats already braced w/ 9" ends and stuffed with 33spline axles and spool

and it'd have to already come 25.2 certified (legal to 6.00 @ 200 in the 1/4)

would be a hell of a low 7 second street car from the factory :D

Blown 91 Bird said:
Procharger F3R
You can call it the Thunderbird SuperAirPlane. Sounds like a 747 going down the side of your neighborhood road.

Might as well stick the Procharger on the back bumper and use it as a jet engine. :D

CMac89 said:
You can call it the Thunderbird SuperAirPlane. Sounds like a 747 going down the side of your neighborhood road.

Might as well stick the Procharger on the back bumper and use it as a jet engine. :D

thats what a real car sounds like not like a whoopie cushion being sat on by a 500 lb fat chick.

With the costs associated in designing and building a car nowadays, you'd be lucky to see ANY of the designs mentioned above at a price of $25-$35k. The Mustang hits that price range because it is a minimalist design-a Thunderbird SC with the equipment options listed would run anywhere from $38-$45k, would be a gas hog, and even if anyone here could afford the car, you would still go broke buying gas.

I'm willing to bet that the next iteration of the Bird will either be a hybrid or a flex-fuel (E-85) design :cool:

Birdman93 said:
With the costs associated in designing and building a car nowadays, you'd be lucky to see ANY of the designs mentioned above at a price of $25-$35k. The Mustang hits that price range because it is a minimalist design-a Thunderbird SC with the equipment options listed would run anywhere from $38-$45k, would be a gas hog, and even if anyone here could afford the car, you would still go broke buying gas.

Buzzkill :p

90SC BIG BLOCK said:
As I said before, my letter will be just one of 1000's of offers . I may never get the O.K , but I gotta try . All that aside , if a THUNDERBIRD could be made at $25,000.00-$32,000.00 ,two door , rear drive , V-8 , would any of you want to by it ? Because if guy's who are supposed to be in love with the car like me are knocking me that bad , maybe I shouldnt try to bring it back. So my question still stands for some of you, would you buy it if I could do it ? And thanks to a few of you for keeping this from being just my car .

If you think your capable of building an entire car, then why don't you start with something easy like the rear suspension and drive.

Build a bolt on upgrade that includes everything needed to upgrade from the current 28 spline to 31 spline halfshafts on an MN12 and sell it for under $2,500.

If you can do that, then I will take all your talk about building a new SC seriously, and I'll even buy two kits from you.

David

Last edited:
Lets listen to the guy...please no bs. He obviously knows some higher ups at Ford and don't get mad because they gave him the nod and knot you? OK. I think it should have about 600 HP and be priced below the Neon SRT4. That way you can attract the potential Zo6 customers and the Compact guys. That's what we need is more support.

Oh, and they should all be white. Kind of like the grand national all being black, only white this time. Ford style baby. Good luck in your endeavors 90SCBigBlock. If you need any financial assistance please give me dibs on buying into the prototype, that way when Ford reimburses you for pensions I'll get moved up on the list with you for the first one. (of many I'm sure).

I'm getting all excited now.

Micah

Micahdogg said:
Lets listen to the guy...please no bs. He obviously knows some higher ups at Ford and don't get mad because they gave him the nod and knot you? OK. I think it should have about 600 HP and be priced below the Neon SRT4. That way you can attract the potential Zo6 customers and the Compact guys. That's what we need is more support.

Oh, and they should all be white. Kind of like the grand national all being black, only white this time. Ford style baby. Good luck in your endeavors 90SCBigBlock. If you need any financial assistance please give me dibs on buying into the prototype, that way when Ford reimburses you for pensions I'll get moved up on the list with you for the first one. (of many I'm sure).

I'm getting all excited now.

Micah

I love the sarcasm :D

Tyler

Build a bolt on upgrade that includes everything needed to upgrade from the current 28 spline to 31 spline halfshafts on an MN12 and sell it for under $2,500.

Look no further then the newer cobras setup and I;m sure a retro fit wouldnt be all that hard with a lil enginuity

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Look no further then the newer cobras setup and I;m sure a retro fit wouldnt be all that hard with a lil enginuity

I seem to be short on enginuity these days....so I'll extend the same offer to you.

David

CMac89 said:

sticking it on the back bumper would only work if you could figure out how to turn the impeller hydraulicly :p

Back