highest HP stock block SC

Randy N Connie

What is the highest rear wheel horse power for a stock SC 3.8
long block ?

3.8 SC Thunderbird or XR7 that is using a M90 blower casting?
And running only pump gas, with all the after market bolt-ons.

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
I am acutally curious about this. I would think that anythin over 470 would be about it. I know there is going to be someone to say that its stupid but I dont think the guys running right at the 400 mark would agree. In the event that 470 would be achieved, I would have to say that a valley brace should be used. Maybe even cut a set of 4 bolt mains but I think the upper twist with the SC will be the death. I have not even heard of a block cracking on a 3.8 but given the direction we are headed, I would be willing to bet its coming.

Chris

dave said hes running on a stock bottom end.. well he has alcohol injection, but still probably fills up at the pump obviously .

Well he said long block.

That to me would mean stock cam with a stock profile and unported heads.

I think I'll be claiming this title next season. I will not be porting the heads or doing a cam. I figure I should be able to get up to 300 HP (wheel) with a FMIC and some more boost.

90blkbrd said:
Would this include MPII and MPIII? What about nitrous?

My question would include any M90 modified blower case.
No nitrous,or alky injection.Just pump gas from the local
gas station for fuel.

Just a stock long block motor with bolt-ons.

I have heard some drag race ET.s of 13.5s .
But no RWHP numbers.

Thanks Randy

I made 269rwhp and 388rwtq with MP inlet, BTM 5%, intake and exhaust.

I'm not the highest hp stock internal SC though.

Pretty sure Kurt K made some pretty impressive runs on a bolt on M90 SC. Ran something like a 13.6 before it let go?

Thomas

Randy,

I don't think you can expect more than about 275 RWHP with an AOD. I don't know if anyone has done better than that or not.

David

I ran 13.59 at 100 mph with 240 rwhp and 340 rwtq, before my balancer went and took the crank with it. I have gasket matched heads and intake with 1.80 RR. Car weighed at the track with me in it 4000 #'s. Jason Miller made quite a bit more hp than me with the MPII but ran out of injector and never got to the track before his head gaskets went, he's under rebuild now.

Fast Specialties made 318 rwhp SAE on a completely stock long block SC with the MPIII and a 70mm throttle body @ 15% overdrive on 92 octane pump gas. The engine has 100,000 miles on it and features a stock intercooler, no IC fan, no headers and some kind of a homemade exhaust.

BTW, it was on a Mustang dyno that reads 4% lower then two DynoJets in our area.

Charles

Magnum Powers said:
Fast Specialties made 318 rwhp SAE on a completely stock long block SC with the MPIII and a 70mm throttle body @ 15% overdrive on 92 octane pump gas. The engine has 100,000 miles on it and features a stock intercooler, no IC fan, no headers and some kind of a homemade exhaust.

BTW, it was on a Mustang dyno that reads 4% lower then two DynoJets in our area.

Charles

There are lots of ways to get varying results from a dyno. I'd like to see one of these high HP cars hit the track. Just one. :) Even if the car is granny shifted and eased off the line it should easily pull 106-108mph at the track. Until I see that I think it's a little bit of smoke and mirrors. :)

XR7 Dave said:
There are lots of ways to get varying results from a dyno. I'd like to see one of these high HP cars hit the track. Just one. :) Even if the car is granny shifted and eased off the line it should easily pull 106-108mph at the track. Until I see that I think it's a little bit of smoke and mirrors. :)
Really Dave!!!! How about Kevin's?

Smoke and mirrors? Bull!

Charles

Thomas A said:
Pretty sure Kurt K made some pretty impressive runs on a bolt on M90 SC. Ran something like a 13.6 before it let go?

Thomas
Yes Thomas, I ran a 13.54 @ 101 but do not have dyno numbers that Randy is looking for. This was only stock injectors and throttlebody, and rest of the old-school bolt-ons.

Last edited:
My stock motor with bolt-ons put 274hp out at the wheels without the nitrous. The stock injectors maxed out making that much power, now I'm in the process of putting 60 lb injectors on the car along with a new cam.

Well Randy, there are a few of us, some with MP3's some without that will be chaseing big numbers and low ET's with the stock longblock. Guess we will just have to see.

Dave

Just going to have to wait and see :p I hope to kill this last gremlin in my car early spring! :mad: Putting Dave and I's car on the dyno should give us a good idea at the numbers that can be seen without touching the internals. Maybe XR7 Dave could grase us with his presense too watch !

Back