94+ dash swap wiring issue

jk89cat

1st hello to all, i have been on tccoa for years, and dropped by on occasion here. i am undergoing a 96 dash install on a 1992 5.0 sport , and i have read from a few people that there have been guys here who have done this and used the orginal harness. i have it figured out except for the wiring issues with the steering column. i figured out the turn signal section is the same , but the wipers is what is my concern . ill be like 4 wires short of what i had on the 92 's multifunction switch . any help would be appreciated, because i am at a road block , thanks, justin

Are you sure its for the wipers ? I dont remember if there are more wires on an early wiper motor.
Is it possible that it has something to do with the headlights ?
The multifunction switch has some wiring for the high beams, it may have something to do with that because the earlier style uses two sets of lights instead of dual filament bulbs.
Thats my best guess .. when I swapped a 95 dash into a 91, I used everything I could from the 95.
- Dan

Ddubb said:
Are you sure its for the wipers ? I dont remember if there are more wires on an early wiper motor.
Is it possible that it has something to do with the headlights ?
The multifunction switch has some wiring for the high beams, it may have something to do with that because the earlier style uses two sets of lights instead of dual filament bulbs.
Thats my best guess .. when I swapped a 95 dash into a 91, I used everything I could from the 95.
- Dan
When I did my 94 dash into a 89, I used the 94 wiring harness and I remember having to repin the wiper motor by switching the Low High power wires at the wiper motor connector.

pretty sure they are for the wipers, while looking at the pictures in the evtm theres a few less circuits out the side connctor . super xr7 you just left the whole 94 harness in the dash and repinned? ddubb , did you reuse the orginal harness off the early car?

I didnt use anything original, everything came from the 95, including the engine bay wiring harness.
- Dan

jk89cat said:
pretty sure they are for the wipers, while looking at the pictures in the evtm theres a few less circuits out the side connctor . super xr7 you just left the whole 94 harness in the dash and repinned? ddubb , did you reuse the orginal harness off the early car?

I left the 94 dash wiring intact, used the 94 power harness to go into the engine bay, repinned to the 89 front lights and wiper motor connectors. Repinned wiring harnesses that go to the back of the car. Deleted engine management and replaced with aftermarket system. A lot of work which took me about 4 months to complete. Be sure to get the wiring diagrams for both years. I got mine from Ebay. Good Luck!
Mike Tuck

thanks guys, that helps. the time for me to use the 96 harness is long gone. i cut it up for the pigtails and componets for the early car. that explains a few issues .i have the evtms for both years of cars.

Back