1990 sc head gasket

kimb82

Hi everyone. I am thinking about purchasing a 1990 SC, I have loved these cars ever since I saw my first one. The one I am thinking about getting the owner says it has a head gasket leak because it blows out white smoke. Is there a way to visually inspect it to see if it is a Head gasket or a cracked block. If it is a head gasket how hard is it to repair it myself, I am a weekend mechanic with a few tools. Thank you for the info.

kimb82 said:
Hi everyone. I am thinking about purchasing a 1990 SC, I have loved these cars ever since I saw my first one. The one I am thinking about getting the owner says it has a head gasket leak because it blows out white smoke. Is there a way to visually inspect it to see if it is a Head gasket or a cracked block. If it is a head gasket how hard is it to repair it myself, I am a weekend mechanic with a few tools. Thank you for the info.

You will need a lot of patience but you could do it. Head gaskets are a fairly common problem but if it were me I would pull the motor and at the very least inspect or replace the main & rod bearings. Reason being if it was run with coolant in the oil due to blown head gaskets it can take out the bottom end. Would be a good time to do motor mounts and plugs and wires too... all the things that are a real PAIN IN THE *** on an SC.

I just purchased my SC in the same condition your refering to, except it is a '93. I'm by no means a mechanic either, and it took me a matter of 2 days to replace the gaskets...probably would have been less than that if I had a garage (the job was done on a city street). This engine isn't as complicated as most will lead you to beleive. Once the Supercharger is off, its very easy to manage.

Take your time and buy a manual from an Auto Parts store, so when you put it back together you know the tork sequence and lbs etc.

Also, not certain if I would go as far as Kevin with replacing the bearings. But again its all in what you find once its pulled apart. I only replaced the headgaskets and valve cover gaskets when I did mine and have had no trouble at all since. This has been the most dependable car I've ever owned so I guess I might have gotten lucky?

Anyways, have fun in your adventure.

-Tim

Back