5spd 2 An Auto, Auto To An 5spd

24/7STREETWINGZ

I recently had my shop swap the drivetrains on two of my SC's. The Auto was the fastest of the two generating 347 rwhp 396 rwtq it had various upgrades the question I have is when taking the chip out of the Automatic what software do I need for the computer that was once for Auto specifications to work for 5Spd specifications the 5Spd is an 1989 the Auto is an 1990, now the 89 is Auto and the 5Spd is the 90. What will it take to accommodate the chip in the 5Spd? Also should I change the rear end back to the stock 2.75 or leave the 5Spd with the Auto's 3.27?

im speechless.......

you rock dude

definately leave the 3.27's in. get some 3,73's or 4.10s for the auto. the computer doesnt control the trannies on an AOD car or a 5-speed car so it shouldnt make a difference but try to get some second opinions on this. if your car was equipped with an aode, or a 4r70w, then you will need the corresponding computer of that trans

Last edited:
As far as I know the computers don't matter but they may be calibrated differently. I have heard the auto's computers have a speed limiter or something but I haven't been able to verify this. I'd ask XR7 Dave since he is a tuner and has worked with both computers in question.

Do they run and drive ok? Or haven't you tried it yet?

Well Well Well

I have been traveling in the Auto for a few trips the last one the longest maybe about 400 miles the SC runs like a champ it passed smog with flying colors the day before last....problem when the car is low on gas I stop to get gas fill up the car will not start....its gettin eveything but gas so I let it sit about half hour later it starts only after I press the unit in the trunk and hold down the throttle I don't know if this is computer related or if its something else it does not do it all the time but enough to know that there is a kink in the chain. It never did this as a 5Spd I think there is something with the wireing harness that my be causing this to happen there was a lot of work in turning a 5Spd into an Auto something I will never deal with again...if I don't figure this one out I'm going to go krazy.

Back