This Here Kid Needs Help!

Young-SC-Owner

Hi im 16 and just got a titanium/titanium 89 SC and the guy i bought it from spun a bearing so i had crank turned, new bearings, rings, frost plugs oil passages milled out and also the block boiled and i need help with a complete engine gasket kit and clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing im alot short on cash so any donations to the cause would be greatly appreciated or some discounted prices would help alot my goal has been to get the beast up and running by my B-day which is Dec 13 but i dont think it is going to happen....Thanks Tony

I'm in the same boat. I got my non-running SC at the end of may and planned on rebuilding the engine and fixing it myself with my dad before my sweet sixteen in August. its the end of november and I still having gotten the damn thing working...

you two sure picked a hell of a car to learn mechanic's on:)

Although if I had had to work on an SC when I was just learning maybe it would have taught me patience!:D

I don't think it's difficult in the least.

My first time it took me two hours to put the motor and the tranny in the car then started it right up.

Easy as poop.....

the thing i heard about is when u get a crank turned over ,its not the same size and bearing and ~~~~ are loser , happened to my friends sc blew his engine id look into that lil more about the crank mike just trying to help out.

mike

good luck. im still trying to get money to buy my 1989 SC from my neighbour. as soon as i sell my corsica for 800 buck i can buy it but no ones buying my car yet thoe :(
the SC is sitting across the street... i can see it from my bedroom window but i cant drive it :(

pmsheko said:
the thing i heard about is when u get a crank turned over ,its not the same size and bearing and ~~~~ are loser , happened to my friends sc blew his engine id look into that lil more about the crank mike just trying to help out.

mike

If the machining is correct, clearances should be within specification. If the clearances are not within spec, then someone dropped the ball somewhere and the engine should not be reassembled until the situation is corrected.

What remachining the crank will do is remove the surface hardening on the journals, often referred to as nitriding, and the crank will wear more quickly than a hardened crank. This hardening is only about .003 deep, so a .010 under gets well below that. Cranks can be rehardened of course, but most people don't bother as they're not usually after 100K mile durability.

I've also noticed on those cheap crank kits from the mass merchandising parts stores some really rough journal finishes. The journal should be polished to about a dull mirror, but I've been seeing these kits with journals looking like someone used 80 grit sandpaper. This is hard on the oil because it results in turbulent flow across the bearing, increases oil breakdown from shear and increased oil temps. A rough journal will work on a grocery-getter but if you're going to lean on the motor much it would be better to use a smoother finish.

Young-SC-Owner said:
Hi im 16 and just got a titanium/titanium 89 SC and the guy i bought it from spun a bearing so i had crank turned, new bearings, rings, frost plugs oil passages milled out and also the block boiled and i need help with a complete engine gasket kit and clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing im alot short on cash so any donations to the cause would be greatly appreciated or some discounted prices would help alot my goal has been to get the beast up and running by my B-day which is Dec 13 but i dont think it is going to happen....Thanks Tony

You are talking about how low on cash you are yet you are inquiring about a $1200 blower package?? Either you are wasting someones time with the Blower setup or you are maybe not so short on said cash...Which is it??

Don't take it the wrong way...It is just an observation.

Brad

yeh owning an a SC + paying for college = no money and driving the mom's minivan when its being fixed :mad:

good luck, it is worth it in the end... i think... that is what i keep telling myself :p

latas
shane

about the blower i just wanted to see the pics i didnt know that was so bad? and its all to spec i bartered with a guy for my dirtbike 3 wheeler and a couple of hundred bucks to do the engine work he owns a speed shop i can send you guys some pics of the progress if yall want:)

MY dads a mechanic and he been helping me alot but i am going to tech college for marine mechanics pretty much the same thing i can put it together i have the knowledge of it i just need the gaskets

Back