Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: China to make a $10,000 SUV!!! Would you buy one???

Question China to make a $10,000 SUV!!! Would you buy one???

(Quote)
    China, in its determined quest to match the West in consumerism, has adopted the SUV craze. For a small but fast-growing group of mainlanders, a Volkswagen Santana, Buick Sail, or Ford Fiesta just doesn't cut it anymore. These Chinese drivers, like their American counterparts, want to hit the streets swathed in layers of heavy metal. Consultant A.T. Kearney Inc. predicts that Chinese SUV sales will surge by 30% annually, compared with 18% growth for cars. That means sales will jump from 160,000 vehicles this year to almost 600,000 by 2008. SUVs are "the highest-growth segment within the fastest-growing automotive market in the world," says Paul Alcala, CEO of Beijing Jeep Corp., a joint venture of DaimlerChrysler and Beijing Automobile Industry Corp. "What better place to be?"

A lot of companies are asking the same question -- and jumping into the market. Beijing Jeep, which began making Grand Cherokees in Beijing a decade ago, added two new models this year: the $16,000 Jeep 2500 and the Pajero Sport, a bigger SUV that tops out at $42,000 and is produced under license from Mitsubishi Motors Corp. General Motors Corp. now makes Chevrolet Blazers in the northeastern city of Shenyang. Toyota this fall started making its Prado, Dario Terio, and Land Cruiser SUVs in China. And Honda Motor Co. plans to launch its CRV in China next year, while Nissan has been making the Paladin in Zhengzhou since February. "There are big opportunities for us in China," says Tadashi Ishihara, general manager of Nissan's China office.

GREAT LEAP UPWARD. Local makers are picking up on the trend, too. Zhongxing Automobile Manufacturing Co. started selling its $9,500 Chiye in June. Yongzhou's Hunan Changfeng Group launched the $23,000 Liebao Feiteng in October. Now, Chinese manufacturers are ready to make the great leap upward into higher-end -- and higher-margin -- models. Since June, 2002, Great Wall Automobile Holding Co., in the central city of Baoding, has made the $10,000 SAFE SUV -- so named to reinforce the message that bigger vehicles are safer for drivers in a crash. Now, it plans to develop an even heftier, more expensive model. "We feel pressure as competition is getting much fiercer," says Shang Yugui, a director at Great Wall.

That competition is great for buyers. Sticker prices have fallen 10% to 15% in the past two years, a trend likely to continue, according to A.T. Kearney. And with roughly 30 companies licensed to make SUVs, some producers are getting nervous. "The SUV market is overheating," warns Sun Jian, deputy managing director of A.T. Kearney's Shanghai office. "There is lots of idle capacity."

An added challenge for SUV makers will be pollution and fuel-consumption standards set to take effect by June, 2005. While the emissions limits are similar to those in the U.S. and Europe, the fuel-economy rules would be among the world's strictest -- and fewer than half the SUVs now made in China comply with them. With eager customers such as Zhang pacing the showroom floors, though, carmakers have every incentive to get their road hogs up to snuff and on the market. (UNQUOTE)

xThunderbirdSCx Guest
    I will never buy a chinese product. Stupid communists making stupid crap....like my stupid alarm...

You're probably wearing Nike's that were made by some 11 year old girl in a sweatshop however....

Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTSC
    You're probably wearing Nike's that were made by some 11 year old girl in a sweatshop however....
    Maybe this is why Pro Street Rich uses an SC bumper as clothing.
    CORN GAAAAASSS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89

ROFLMAO, thats the funniest thing ive read all day long.

We may as well, we shop at Walmart right? Maybe walmart will sell those too. Wallyworld car dealers. American auto makers need not apply! LOL What's this country coming to?!

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89
    ..... Poor 35th

Shane

Chinese manufacturing has made countless things that you take for granted every day possible for you. Chinese manufacturing provides thousands of jobs here in the US and it supports the success of many "proudly American" companies. Keep that in mind before you bash Chinese products.

But no, I would not buy a Chinese SUV. That is just plain wrong.

And someone please buy Rich some clothes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

HHHmm...perhaps this will mutate that old saying into:

"Me last you long time" ?????
    Current: 1993 SC 5.0L Auto Red, 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
    Old: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue, 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal
    Also: 1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5-speed Vibrant Red, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed Red, 1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed Red

www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!

Yeah when was the last non-perishabl eitem you bought NOT made in China???

I don't hate import cars cuz their foregin, I hate them cuz they're too damn small!

Chinese folk or union labor, gotta pick on of the evils.

I only buy American Made cars...thats all its -ever- been in the history of my family, don't plan to change that too soon either.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFly Flynn
    I only buy American Made cars...thats all its -ever- been in the history of my family, don't plan to change that too soon either.

LOL!

Where do you find an Americane made car?

Hell, most of em aint even assemebled here no mo'

no kidding... buy a ranger your buying a mazda....buy an s-10 you bought an isuzu....by a neon you get a mitsubishi.....
    93 SC Red Auto 111k 2013 Shootout Bracket Champ
    *New build on the way*
    93 SC White 132k 5-Speed K&N, Ripper Shifter DD
    99 Cobra 120k 312rwhp/320tq
    Member #3178

Even our Thunderbirds are half foreign-a lot of pieces come from somewhere in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Royer
    no kidding... buy a ranger your buying a mazda....buy an s-10 you bought an isuzu....by a neon you get a mitsubishi.....
    That's why you get a muscle car and forget about it...

P.S. I will donate some American made clothing. What's his address?
    CORN GAAAAASSS!!!