Thread: front pass. side upper control arm removal?

Question front pass. side upper control arm removal?

did a search but could not find... what all do i need to take out to get the the back bolt on the fron pass. side upper control arm?..., i can see the front bolt under the intake tube but dont see how to get to the rear? help please~mike

Mike,
    What most folks do is remove the tab from the bolt head and use a 6 pt socket that fits. The tab is removed by prying on it with a large screw driver. Put a box or open end on the nut and remove the bolt. Reverse for re-assembly.
    Hope this helps you.

oh.. it all helps! thanks!.., there is some other stuff in the way before you get to the bolt do i just move it aside..? or is there anything else to disconect? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 92scindallas
    oh.. it all helps! thanks!.., there is some other stuff in the way before you get to the bolt do i just move it aside..? or is there anything else to disconect? thanks
    Head of the bolt is located in the tire well next to the shock//spring assy. Nothing else to remove if you do it this way, though the nut might be a bit tricky to put back on. Nothing really difficult.
    Last edited by Cobra85; 11-29-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Mike,
    Give me a call in about 1/2 hour and I'll see if I can give you some pointers. Here's 1 hint: Passengerside rear nut can be reached easily from underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by TbirdSCFan
    Mike,
    Give me a call in about 1/2 hour and I'll see if I can give you some pointers. Here's 1 hint: Passengerside rear nut can be reached easily from underneath.
    will do!.. thanks

I just did one of those on a 91 SC .. it sure was a pain to get off. We used a 18mm open end wrench and turned it a little at a time. It would almost be easier to take the front coilover shock out for more room.
    - Dan

I did this once on a 96 cougar. I was fed up with the job and cut a small access door with a grinder to get at this bolt straight on. 10 minutes later, and I had the new upper arm in and was welding the access plate back on and the job was done. The plate was hidden behind the inner fender plastic. I dont recommend this really, but it worked for me. And as much as I dread this job on my 90SC, I will have all the same tools at my disposal.