Who got screwed?

Hill1513

Just bought a 1989 SC in NJ. 5 speed with 119K on the clock. ABS works, interior in good shape (8 of 10). Ran smooth at and off idle (up to 3K). Needs battery and clutch (was smoking, car could bare move). Boost gauge didn't seem to register much :confused: (moved but not much, maybe to a 10 o'clock position at best). No rust. Some dings and scratches, but nothing major. All glass intact. Didn't appear to be leaking any fluids.

The car is at a shop now (one SCCOA recommends) getting a clutch and slave put in.

I paid $700 for it. Did I get a deal or did I get screwed? I'm new to SCs and have no idea what's up and down with these cars yet.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say you got screwed. You get what you get for $700. Spend a few dollars on it and you'll be glad you bought it.

I bought my SC from a guy 5 hours away. When I went and test drove it, it seemed fine until it got into boost. Then, it would hesitate, buck, and backfire. Interior is pretty decent, had a recent (read: cheap) paint job that didn't look too awfully bad, clutch felt pretty good though. All stock car. I had no idea what the actual problem was with the car other than the guy said that it might need a new harmonic balancer & crankshaft sensor. I couldn't pass it up for what he wanted for it. Got her home, did plugs & wires & cam shaft sensor. Still didn't run right. Changed the fuel filter and she ran like a dream. I did have to get a new harmonic balancer & cranshaft senor put on though.

The guy I bought it from was a bit on the shady side though, I'm finding small little things here and there that I believe he knew about, but oh well.

Sounds like you got a good deal......

I bought my second SC for $500.00 and it didn't run (read: hadn't run in quite some time):eek:

The owner said that it needed a water pump.....

After I trailered it home, we put a new battery in her and beleive it or not, she cranked up and ran.....:eek:

I put a new water pump on and a used HB, because the original one had a groove worn into it and was leaking lots of oil....

Total invested into her including pick up is about $700.00 and she runs like a raped ape.......:D

So far, I'm liking the feedback :D

And...on second thought concerning the supercharger, I'd have to say it didn't boost because of how I "accelerated." I gave it about 10% throttle MAX up to 3K, and I expected it to give some boost? :confused: First time with a power adder :rolleyes:

The SC you baught you found on ebay right? Its titainum in color with cloth interior right? I saw that one on there too and had actually recomended it to a friend of mine to buy. I would say that the car looked in good shape.

Shane

quick35th said:
The SC you baught you found on ebay right? Its titainum in color with cloth interior right? I saw that one on there too and had actually recomended it to a friend of mine to buy. I would say that the car looked in good shape.

Shane
That's the one :D It was actually a police impound. The car is originally from Ontario :eek: Block heater and all. They don't use salt up there are much (or so I'm told), and it has less rust than my 94 LX. What's the color code on the titanium color btw?

this sounds like a perfect time for me to bitch about the shotty salesman that i got mine from.....not all his fault

well to start out I saw it on ebay so i called the guy and started asking questions and he said everything works and it just needs a paintjob no rust anywhere well I had to send a buddy of mine out to get it, it was already paid for i sent him the $$so he wouldn't sell it to anyone else(big mistake) so when my buddy got out to get it and bring it home my brother was driving my lx back and blew it up oh well it was his its not like he owed me another 900 for it or anything but they got the sc home. so the next day i went to get the oil changed and had them do the fuel filter and belts too spent like 250 on all of that so we are up to 700 to go get it and back and then 250 to get it serviced so were ar 950 well the next week the troubles started it never had powerlocks or keyless entry the heater hasn't worked or the a/c so then the turn signals didn't work so i had to spend another 300 on it and then another month later the slave went out so i had to buy a kit for 260 and then to put it in another 260 but since then it has ran fine and the rust on the bottom is minimal but now it is making a weird noise and the sc mechanic around here says that he doesn't think its the supercharger so i think its the alternator so there is more money going down the sc trail and the best part it runs for a while and if you let it idle for a few mins it will sputter and die what a nice ride i got myself into

moral of this long story go and look at it yourself and drive it BEFORE you buy it and don't spend 5570$$$$$ before you can even think of making it faster and it still needs more work first

thanks for listening to me rant and rave for a while hope this helps

My name is cody and i have just been screwed(overhaulin'):)

95scfan said:
this sounds like a perfect time for me to bitch about the shotty salesman that i got mine from.....not all his fault

well to start out I saw it on ebay so i called the guy and started asking questions and he said everything works and it just needs a paintjob no rust anywhere well I had to send a buddy of mine out to get it, it was already paid for i sent him the $$so he wouldn't sell it to anyone else(big mistake) so when my buddy got out to get it and bring it home my brother was driving my lx back and blew it up oh well it was his its not like he owed me another 900 for it or anything but they got the sc home. so the next day i went to get the oil changed and had them do the fuel filter and belts too spent like 250 on all of that so we are up to 700 to go get it and back and then 250 to get it serviced so were ar 950 well the next week the troubles started it never had powerlocks or keyless entry the heater hasn't worked or the a/c so then the turn signals didn't work so i had to spend another 300 on it and then another month later the slave went out so i had to buy a kit for 260 and then to put it in another 260 but since then it has ran fine and the rust on the bottom is minimal but now it is making a weird noise and the sc mechanic around here says that he doesn't think its the supercharger so i think its the alternator so there is more money going down the sc trail and the best part it runs for a while and if you let it idle for a few mins it will sputter and die what a nice ride i got myself into

moral of this long story go and look at it yourself and drive it BEFORE you buy it and don't spend 5570$$$$$ before you can even think of making it faster and it still needs more work first

thanks for listening to me rant and rave for a while hope this helps

My name is cody and i have just been screwed(overhaulin'):)
:eek: I hope this doesn't happen to me :eek:

I bought mine for 3500 CAD. the same day I found out that OD in the tranny's gone south, gas tank is leaking big time and the car stalls every time you stop...The guy that sold it to me said he wasn't aware of these problems:rolleyes: year, right. Couple months later I became a member of BHG club (read: Blown Head Gusket) ;) replaced TPS, Crank and Cam sensor, fuel pump, alternator, starter, still struggling with rad. fan but still LOVING her!!!:cool: ;)
Good luck, brother.

Yeah, forgot the main part: now I have two SC's;) and
You got yourself a great deal! Enjoy it.

Hill1513 said:
So far, I'm liking the feedback :D

And...on second thought concerning the supercharger, I'd have to say it didn't boost because of how I "accelerated." I gave it about 10% throttle MAX up to 3K, and I expected it to give some boost? :confused: First time with a power adder :rolleyes:
Floor it......

You will like it.....:D

My advice

Do a tuneup. Plugs and wires, oil change, air filter and fuel filter.

I reccomend denso iridium plugs IT20's. Ford Reccomends 10W30. If you are using synthetic you can go with a 20W50 in the summer.

As for Wires look into getting Some Accell Extreme wires if they still make them.

ALSO....Splurge and get a 255lph FI fuel pump.(Around $100)

These items will assure your car runs fine :O)

Damon

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
My advice

Do a tuneup. Plugs and wires, oil change, air filter and fuel filter.

I reccomend denso iridium plugs IT20's. Ford Reccomends 10W30. If you are using synthetic you can go with a 20W50 in the summer.

As for Wires look into getting Some Accell Extreme wires if they still make them.

ALSO....Splurge and get a 255lph FI fuel pump.(Around $100)

These items will assure your car runs fine :O)

Damon
Thanks for the info. I'm going to do pads and rotors too :)

Screwed?

Not Me.

1992 5-Speed Paid $500 found her on Craigslist. 175k mi on clock

Car runs/idles ok, rough at times.
No change been driving it a month.

Does the 'surge thing' on-and-off,
bought a Cam Sensor 36bux, have yet to put it on.

Just found it has Brand New Calipers and Rotors and Pads on the back!
One of the calipers is leaking thru the piston area.
Bought a Re-Build kit 9 bux, yet to do that.
ABS master shot, front brakes only, no emerg:eek:
Fixing brakes first! CONVERSION, that is...

Engine Leaks Coolant not HG, Oil, n/s where on the oil yet.
Got a used Power Steering pump from somebody here 25bux shipped
cuz mine sounds like a jet landing, yet to put that on.
Just failed emissions for both Co and Hwhatever, maybe cats?

Tranny has no Synchros left, but I can/do drive her w/o much
grinding. Plan in place to purch another Tranny.

Interior below average, but fixable.
Exterior average, fixable.

Just blew some monster donuts at end of exit ramp Sun morning,
(nobody around) second time around, I saw I had an audience stopped at the end of the ramp in a p/u truck, he seemed to dig what was happening.

I looked at/WTB 5-Speed Accords with over 200k on the clock, and folks are getting close to $2000 for them here. I'm thinking ~~~?

Its my third bird, I am happy. It runs well/goes fast esp. for the $, its comfy as heck, and many punks of the civic persuasion are jeallous.:cool:

paul

Back