Supercharger Fluid

supercharger oil chould be checked/changed every 30K miles....i guess it depends on when the previous owner did it.

91supacoop said:
supercharger oil chould be checked/changed every 30K miles....i guess it depends on when the previous owner did it.
Changed? Why would you need to change synthetic oil in a closed system? Checking every 30K yes, but change?

If you wait 30,000 miles to check it, it will definitely be low. I used to check mine and top off if needed every time I changed oil (about every 3000 miles) It is SO simple to check and takes about a minute so why not? A little bit of fluid loss is 'normal' as it gets past the seals into the I/C tubes.

If you check it "Cold" (before you start the car in the morning is best) it will not spray you in the face. The fluid level should be to the bottom of the threads.

I just got some clear plastic tubing that fit over the spout on the bottle so I could direct the fluid into the fill hole without making a mess.

BP 2380 Turbine Oil

Dunno what Ford or GM charge for their oil or how many oz. you get.

I use BP 2380 Turbine Oil in my supercharger.

www.oil-store.com
Press AVAIATION button
Press BP TURBINE OIL button
$9.09 per qt.

Fill your SC 5 times with a qt.!!!!!

Turbo Oil 2380 - This polyol ester synthetic turbo oil meets the requirements of most corporate and commercial jet engines and accessories, as well as the requirements of industrial and marine lightweight gas turbines. It meets or exceeds the requirements of U.S. military specification MIL-L-23699F STD and U.K. Def Stan 91-101 (DERD 2497). BPTO 2380 is a superior 5-cSt jet engine oil due to its balanced combination of thermal and oxidation stability, load-carrying capacity, low volatility and low-temperature flow characteristics. Its outstanding performance, achieved through careful selection and balance of basestocks and additives, has made BPTO 2380 widely accepted in corporate/commercial aviation and industrial/marine applications. It is used by more that 325 commercial airlines worldwide.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
Dunno what Ford or GM charge for their oil or how many oz. you get.

I use BP 2380 Turbine Oil in my supercharger.

www.oil-store.com
Press AVAIATION button
Press BP TURBINE OIL button
$9.09 per qt.

Fill your SC 5 times with a qt.!!!!!

Turbo Oil 2380 - This polyol ester synthetic turbo oil meets the requirements of most corporate and commercial jet engines and accessories, as well as the requirements of industrial and marine lightweight gas turbines. It meets or exceeds the requirements of U.S. military specification MIL-L-23699F STD and U.K. Def Stan 91-101 (DERD 2497). BPTO 2380 is a superior 5-cSt jet engine oil due to its balanced combination of thermal and oxidation stability, load-carrying capacity, low volatility and low-temperature flow characteristics. Its outstanding performance, achieved through careful selection and balance of basestocks and additives, has made BPTO 2380 widely accepted in corporate/commercial aviation and industrial/marine applications. It is used by more that 325 commercial airlines worldwide.

68COUGAR

Ok, good to know! I already bought two bottles GM fluid...:(

But, I'm pretty sure I can't get Turbo Oil 2380 here in Finland. ;)

Jet Airliners vs. Finland

Sampo said:
I'm pretty sure I can't get Turbo Oil 2380 here in Finland.
What? Jet airliners don't fly to Finland?
Go to your closest airport & see if some mechanic will sell you a Liter of BP 2380. It's light purple.

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
What? Jet airliners don't fly to Finland?
Go to your closest airport & see if some mechanic will sell you a Liter of BP 2380. It's light purple.

68COUGAR

Next time when I'm changing those oils I can ask there.

Just remember this is very small country... a little over 5 million people live in here. I would not be very surprised if I can't get it...:eek:

Thanks to everybody who sent a response. I was able to go to GM and get the super charger fluid at $7.00 for 4 ounces. I also changed the fluid when the car was ice cold, This definitely ensured that no fluid sprayed in my face; besides the old fluid stinks to high heaven!

A similar oil to the BP2380 turbine oil could well be MIL 7808 jet engine oil. Itsa rather light weight and synthetic. Id say its roughly 5 or 10w 20. If this works hell Im set for life lol.

My question is what is the benifit to using this turbine oil? And how do you drain the old oil out of the supercharger.

Price & RPM

bubbaflaat said:
My question is what is the benifit to using this turbine oil? And how do you drain the old oil out of the supercharger.
The benefit is that it's MUCH cheaper ($9.00/Qt.), than the stuff that Ford sells. It isn't necessarily a "benefit", but it also exceeds the specs. of the Ford/Eaton oil.

To get the old oil out of the SC, I used clear plastic aquarium hose & a lg. syringe. I've also heard of people using a turkey baster.

68COUGAR

Back