sunroof felt weatherstrip

ol'stupidcoupe

My '90 sc is equipped with a sunroof. The problem is that the felt weatherstrip around the outside is falling off. I replaced it 4-5 years ago but now it is not availible from Ford. Does anyone have a source for the weatherstrip?

The felt weatherstriping is no longer availiable but Webasto has the rubber weatherstrip in their aftermarket division. I replaced mine on my 89 and the rubber works good. Since you have to remove the sunroof glass to replace the weatherstrip, now would be a good time to replace the lifter arms.

Webasto order desk: 1-800-860-7866
Starlite 6 gasket: S1286-D5010A or 51590-E-5010C-A
Lifter arms: S1289-W-300A (right side)
S1289-W-3001A (left side)

If I remember right the gasket was around $12 and the lifter arms were $9 and change.

Todd

Thank you for your response. I found a thread with a last post dated 5/05 that stated Webasto did not have these any longer. When did you replace yours? I am not familiar with the lifter arms, can you help me out & explain? My sunroof opens/closes very slowly, I usually have to assist it by pushing with my hand and I figured the motor was going bad. Would the lifter arms be causing this? I appreciate your time & assistance.

Just replaced mine this summer. Webasto will not have the exact replacement for the starlite 6 gasket, but the aftermarket division has a generic replacement gasket that will fit all sunroofs. I gave you the correct stock number for the gasket so the person who answers the phone at the order desk will know which sunroof you have. They will probably suggest the generic replacement from the aftermarket division.

My sunroof was moving slow and rattling and leaking air and water when I replaced the gasket and lifter arms. The lifter arms fixed the slow moving and rattling. When you tilt the sunroof up, you will notice part of the arm holding the glass up. The other half is bolted down. They look sort of like long hindges. The arms have little roller type pieces which fit into slots in the other side of the arm. The roller part wears as well as the slots which is what causes it to become loose. Not sure why it would slow or stop the movement down, but it must as replacing them fixed my problem. They are very easy to replace once the glass is out. I also lubed up the tracks while I had everything apart.

The hardest part for me was the screws that hold the glass to the brackets. They were all rusted from the water leaking in. I had to use a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut the heads of the screws off, and then drill the screws out. Took one of the brackets to the hardware store and found some replacement screws with the same threads to screw back into them.

Thank you for all your advise & info, I'll be calling Webasto Monday. I guess Webasto may also have the parts to repair the air deflector that should pop up from inside the roof when the sunroof opens. Mine seems to be stuck or broken in the down position.

The 90 SC I bought is said to have the new Felt weatherstrip, but it still makes all kinds of noise. Let me know if this fixes your noise issue, I may try again.

Thanks,
Sam

Mine did not come with the air deflector, but I am guessing that Webasto will have what you need.

Sam, the rubber weather strip will solve your noise problem.

Sam Woodson said:
The 90 SC I bought is said to have the new Felt weatherstrip, but it still makes all kinds of noise. Let me know if this fixes your noise issue, I may try again.

Thanks,
Sam

I have replaced mine twice now, and it needs it again, because the rubber gasket appears to compression over time, and loose it's ability to seal.
This time I am going to try sealing the glass panel by retaining the current gasket, and use a thin rubber self adhesive strip applied to the rim of the inner roof lip, so there will be two gaskets. One on the moon panel, and one around the roof frame downturned lip.
My wind deflector has never worked.

I just wanted to check with everyone on these part numbers, Webasto said they were for an aftermarkit Starlite moonroof, and the OEM parts were slightly different. So, did FORD use a Starlite roof? Did all factory moonroofs come from the same place, etc.

Thanks,
Sam
Tcian said:
The felt weatherstriping is no longer availiable but Webasto has the rubber weatherstrip in their aftermarket division. I replaced mine on my 89 and the rubber works good. Since you have to remove the sunroof glass to replace the weatherstrip, now would be a good time to replace the lifter arms.

Webasto order desk: 1-800-860-7866
Starlite 6 gasket: S1286-D5010A or 51590-E-5010C-A
Lifter arms: S1289-W-300A (right side)
S1289-W-3001A (left side)

If I remember right the gasket was around $12 and the lifter arms were $9 and change.

Todd

Back