SC Shootout 2006 Rules First Draft

XR7 Dave

Here are the rules in first draft form. Look them over, if there are any typographical errors or any other discrepencies, there may be some slight changes made over the year but this is the general format for the new rules as determined by the SC Shootout Committee.

Feel free to ask questions on anything that is not clear and I will do my best to answer them. Major changes included 1) opening competition in all classes but Street Stock to alternative sources of forced induction. This includes not only twin screws but also centrifugal blowers and turbos, and 2) the creation of a pure stock class. There are other minor adjustments but in most cases if you will probably fit the same classes next year that you fit this year.

Rules:

Common rules for both Stock and both Modified classes.

1) Full exhaust required.
2) Current license and insurance required.
3) All glass and body panels must be present.
4) All cars subject to NHRA/IHRA rules as administered by the host track.

1) Street Stock: This class is for real street daily driver type cars that could pass as stock.

Engine.Must appear stock. Stock longblock (including block, cam, intake manifold, heads and rotating assembly). No internal modifications, stock rebuilds only. OE Thunderbird M90 supercharger only - no cut or welded cases allowed. No nitrous, alcohol, propane, or any other injection. Must retain stock IC tubes and OE type IC (air/air in stock location). All engine accessory components must be present.

Body. Car must be or appear to be a factory supercharged MN12. Body kits are allowed. All factory glass and body panels must be present. Minimum race weight 3800lbs.

Tires. DOT radial tires only which means drag radials are allowed. No skinnies, slicks or wrinklewall DOT race tires allowed.

Interior: Full interior required. Custom components allowed but all panels/components must be present.

Suspension. Stock style U/L control arm, fully independent 4 wheel suspension design. Upgrades and modifications allowed.

Index. None

2) Super Stock: These cars have internally stock engines but push the definition of what stock is on the outside.

Engine. Stock longblock (including block, cam, heads and rotating assembly). No internal modifications, stock rebuilds only. Any supercharger or turbo may be used. Any and all bolt on's allowed, no nitrous. Water/alcohol injection allowed. Must have full exhaust.

Body. Car must be or appear to be a factory supercharged MN12. Body kits are allowed. All factory glass and body panels must be present (fiberglass panels allowed). No Weight restrictions.

Tires. Open.

Interior: Must meet NHRA safety rules.

Suspension. Stock style U/L control arm, fully independent 4 wheel suspension design. Upgrades and modifications allowed.

Index. None

3) Modified Level 1 This class is intended for the mild street car with an internally modified engine. These cars do not pass as stock but they are not purpose built race cars nor do the represent the extreme in any manner and must run on readily available pump gas (max 94 octane).

Engine. 3.8L based Ford V6, internal mods allowed, ported/modified heads allowed. Any supercharger may be used. No nitrous allowed. Alcohol injection allowed. Full exhaust required.

Body. Car must be or appear to be a factory supercharged MN12. Body kits are allowed. All factory glass and body panels must be present (fiberglass panels allowed). Minimum race weight 3700lbs.

Tires. No restrictions.

Interior. Must retain full interior and must meet NHRA/IHRA safety rules.

Index: Index 13.200, Bumps to Modified Level 2

4) Modified Level 2 These cars are still street cars but they represent the fastest and meanest SC's you will be likely to run into on the street. Looking good, keeping it real, and over-achieving is the best way to describe this class.

Engine. Must be 3.8L based Ford V6, all other engine modifications allowed. Any form of forced induction allowed. Nitrous allowed. Additives allowed. Full exhaust required.

Body. Any MN12 body allowed. Minimum race weight 3700lbs.

Tires. Unrestricted.

Interior. Must meet NHRA/IHRA safety rules.

Index: 12.200, Bumps to Pro Street

5) Pro Street
This class is for the car that pushes the definition of an SC. A race car that makes no excuses.

Engine. 3.8/4.2L based Ford V6 engine.

Body. Any MN12 body allowed.

Tires. Unrestricted

Suspension.
Unrestricted.

Interior. Must meet NHRA/IHRA safety rules.

Index. None.

5) Outlaw V8: This class is for any V8 MN12 or Mark VIII.

Engine. Must be Ford based motor.

Body/chassis. Must be an MN12 or FN10 body.

Index. Unrestricted.

6) Bracket ET: This class is for the driver oriented or for those who do not fit any above catagory.

Vehicle. Any MN12 or FN10 chassis car.

Structure. Buy backs $20 1st round only. Low R/T gets bye run.

Driver. Competition in heads up and brackets by same car/driver allowed. May not change driver after eliminations begin.

I'll start by asking about the first 2 classes.

XR7 Dave said:
Common rules for both Stock and both Modified classes.

1) Full exhaust required.
That would only require exhaust out the back of the car. Mufflers and cats would be optional.
XR7 Dave said:
1) Street Stock:
Engine.Must appear stock. Stock longblock (including block, cam, intake manifold, heads and rotating assembly). No internal modifications, stock rebuilds only.
Where does a TB, MAF, injectors, chip, rocker arms, SC pulley, JS pulley, and underdrive pulleys fit here? This is mentioned in the Super Stock, but not here.

XR7 Dave said:
OE Thunderbird M90 supercharger only - no cut or welded cases allowed.
So a ported supercharger is OK, but a MPII and MPIII (including the homemade versions of them) are not.

XR7 Dave said:
Must retain stock IC tubes and OE type IC (air/air in stock location).
Would a DIC count as OE type? I hate to use him as an example, what about Damon's stock looking Spearco. I haven't seen it, just heard about it and wish it was still in production.
XR7 Dave said:
All engine accessory components must be present.
That would mean AC would have to be there, would a shorted belt be acceptable? Does the condenser have to be present?
XR7 Dave said:
Any rear gears, 1/2 shafts, and aluminum center sections are welcome. Example a FRPP 3.73 made for a Cobra, but fits the SC.

Super Stock has fuel rules but Street Stock doesn't.

XR7 Dave said:
2) Super Stock:
Engine.
Must have full exhaust.
This was already mentioned in Common rules for both Stock and both Modified classes.

"Full exhaust" means exactly that. Whatever full exhaust you run on the street you have to run at the track. No dropping the back half or running open headers at the track. It doesn't have to be out the back either. There are cars running with side exhaust. This is legal.

In Street Stock the motor must look more or less like it did from the factory. This is a class designed for true bolt on SC's with minimal mods. If you have a FMIC, non-stock IC tubes, an extreme blower (MPII and above fit this catagory) any kind of fuel additives, or have removed significant equipment such that the car has lost some of it's OE accessories, then it no longer qualifies as Street Stock and runs in Super Stock.

OE type IC means just what it says, air/air IC which retains stock IC tubes and resides in stock location.

Street Stock will run pump gas (94 octane max) only.

Anything else? :)

XR7 Dave said:
5) Outlaw V8: This class is for any V8 MN12 or Mark VIII.

Engine. Must be Ford based motor.

Body/chassis. Must be an MN12 or FN10 body.

Index. Unrestricted.

I am going to try to own this class :eek: :D. Just as long as I can get my 92 complete in time for the event. I'll just have Rich, David, and Chris to battle against unless someone else comes up with a fast V8 car.

Shane

So does ditching the AC bump a guy up or not? It looks like with slicks and alcohol I will be in Super Street anyway, but I would still like to know.

Dave

"factory supercharged MN12"

Dammit, get rid of the word factory and I'd qualify for street stock. Now us Allen guys will all have to be in outlaw V8 class.

Big Cat Davo said:
So does ditching the AC bump a guy up or not? It looks like with slicks and alcohol I will be in Super Street anyway, but I would still like to know.

Dave

"All engine accessory components must be present." I'd say that covers it, Dave. ;)

But Mr. Dalke can give us the official interpretation. :)

cheers
Ed N.

quick35th said:
I am going to try to own this class :eek: :D. Just as long as I can get my 92 complete in time for the event. I'll just have Rich, David, and Chris to battle against unless someone else comes up with a fast V8 car.

Shane

Don't be so sure. I'll just leave it at that. :D

Kurt K said:
You just want me to have to beat Dan Sly again!
Not likely. Unless he wants to add weight to his car and slow it down, he'll be running in Pro Street with the real fast cars this year.

Superbird281 said:

Dammit, get rid of the word factory and I'd qualify for street stock. Now us Allen guys will all have to be in outlaw V8 class.

You can always come down here and beat up on Thomas in his juiced Mark VIII. :p Didn't your mama ever tell you its not if you win its how you play that matters? :D

Big Cat Davo said:

Dave
Yes Dave, you can run in Super Street. We want to see what a stock block can do. You got what it takes? :cool:

XR7 Dave said:
Not likely. Unless he wants to add weight to his car and slow it down, he'll be running in Pro Street with the real fast cars this year.
That's what he thought this year :rolleyes:

XR7 Dave said:
Yes Dave, you can run in Super Street. We want to see what a stock block can do. You got what it takes? :cool:

Gonna Try.:D I expect this class will be as competitive as lasts years Street Stock. Most of us at the top of the Street stock class could bump up without much grief. Hell Charles and Randy both had the alcohol tunred off for the event. It will be interesting to see if my home ported blower can hang with big dogs. Gonna have to get lots of seat time in this year . . . cut down on that red ligh-titis.

Dave

Last edited:
Superbird281 said:

Michael, you should get some proper drag tires for the car, then bring it down and shoot for a 12 something e.t.!! ;)

cheers
Ed N.

Good luck

Good luck to ya Charles, maybe you will shake up the Tony/Kurt dominance of the Mod 2 class.

Damn, 10+ months away and I am already excited.

Dave

quick35th said:

Shane

Shane,

If that's the plan, you better hurry up and get that car built so you'll have plenty of time to work out the kinks. Here's what my turbo car looks like after making only 1-1/2 passes.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=481753&postcount=1

David

David Neibert said:
Shane,

If that's the plan, you better hurry up and get that car built so you'll have plenty of time to work out the kinks. Here's what my turbo car looks like after making only 1-1/2 passes.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=481753&postcount=1

David

David,

Yeah I figured I'll be making all sorts of carnage out of the rear end of my car on the launch or the 1-2 shift. Luckily being that I am building a carbed NA motor for the most part it wont be as complex as yours so there wont be as much to go wrong with it. Though I can see the 200 shot making quick work of the half shafts :(

It will be fun times either way :D!

Shane

Big Cat Davo said:
Good luck to ya Charles, maybe you will shake up the Tony/Kurt dominance of the Mod 2 class.

Damn, 10+ months away and I am already excited.

Dave

What are you talking about "Kurt/Tony dominance?" They both got lucky this year. First year Kurt and I were the only 12 second players in Mod II and the second year Kevin cleaned house so bad the rest of us just stood around scratching our heads. Kurt and Tony dominance, pfbbbt!

Next year I expect 12.50 to be the price of admission in Mod II. We'll see. :D

Back