Questions about the SC

Mikey851

Hey everyone, I'm a noob here and I have a couple questions reguarding the SC.

1. The SC looks good and was in working condition, but do you guys have any suggestions as to specific things I should inspect to tell if it's still in tip top shape? I believe the nose is still nice and lubed as it turns very freely.

2. Does anyone know where I can find random accessories for this SC, such as the IC etc. I cannot find anything on the internet besides new kits. Do I have to resort to going to a junk yard?

3. Last question, are there any mods I should make to the charger that is just a must, like something that's proven to make it perform much better or last longer (besides porting).

Thanks for all of the help guys, I'm trying to rebuild the SC system and I just thought you guys would be the best to ask!:)

Abandon all hope Ye who enter here..........!

We ALL started where you are! Happy trails and good luck with yer car! the more you know about computers the better off you'll be, in other words: Dig thru the SEARCH file and almost anything you type in will throw out reams of info. Specific question, and I WILL guarantee, someone will help you out, as they have myself and everyone else here. Now what the hell did I do wit me Scotch??? Hmmm! cheers and beers, White Lightning.

You can find tons of stuff for our cars as many of them are being parted out. Check Parts for Sale chapter here, or log on on ebay, and see by yourself - few pages will pop up.
As for mods, try to search Tech. chapter here, you'll find thousands of threads regarding upgrading our cars, best mods, bang for the buck mods, preventive maintanance advice and so on.

Well here's the deal guys, and might I add you guys seem much nicer here than the pricks at my original forum, I've always been a fan of the Super Coupe. But alas, I do not have one. My friend had one that was totalled, and so he sold me the blower out of it for $60 and it seems to been in great condition. He only had 80,000 miles on the car and never really raced it. Anyways, here comes the news that I hope you guys don't flame me for. The M90 is going to be custom installed on an Acura Legend, which is the car that I do have right now. I'm savvy on FI installs etc., just not with this blower and it's resources. You guys have definately pointed me in the right direction and that's appreciated. I hope to have a Super Coupe some day, it seems to be an awesome car. Any pointers/bewares, are very welcome and thanks again guys.

Mike

An Eaton M90 on an Accura Legend?!?!?!?!:eek: :mad: ARE YOU NUTS MAN???? GET OUT OF HERE AND NEVER COME BACK!!!!!!

Just kidding man..... lol..:D . That actually sounds like a pretty interesting project. What size engine is in that? What's the horsepower and torque ratings now?

I doubt you will find anyone here who would flame you for wanting to put a blower on your car. In fact I would be willing to bet you will find quite the opposite here. Most everyone here is quite willing to help out with questions that others have. Just don't get toooo offended if you run across the occasional "ricer" comment, after all this is a"domestic" car site so we do like to rag on the imports once in a while, but it is all in good fun.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress. Pictures of the project as it progresses are always welcome too.

Tracy

p.s. What year SC did the blower come from?

I'm not certain what year the SC came from, I do know it's definately one of the newer ones though.

The occasional ricer comment will not bother me, as I am first and foremost a domestic guy, and I just felt like expirementing.

The Legend is a 3.2L V6, with 205hp at the crank and 250 lbs. torque at 3500 rpm. That's why I have the feeling that this blower will make quite the impact. My car is running 15 flats in the 1/4 and is completely stock. Along with the blower, I am using NSX injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump and FPR, and a Apex SAFC II to control my A/F. This is necessary since my car will probably get freaked out by the boost you know?

Mikey851 said:
I'm not certain what year the SC came from, I do know it's definately one of the newer ones though.

You can tell the difference in SCs by the shape of the inlet port at the rear of the SC. If the port is oval, it's an early model; if it's rectangular, it is a late model.

As for you project, it sounds pretty cool. I've got a buddy that plans on installing a M-90 on his 280z. Of course, at the rate he's going, it will never get finished.

Mikey851 said:
Well here's the deal guys, and might I add you guys seem much nicer here than the pricks at my original forum, I've always been a fan of the Super Coupe. But alas, I do not have one. My friend had one that was totalled, and so he sold me the blower out of it for $60 and it seems to been in great condition. He only had 80,000 miles on the car and never really raced it. Anyways, here comes the news that I hope you guys don't flame me for. The M90 is going to be custom installed on an Acura Legend, which is the car that I do have right now. I'm savvy on FI installs etc., just not with this blower and it's resources. You guys have definately pointed me in the right direction and that's appreciated. I hope to have a Super Coupe some day, it seems to be an awesome car. Any pointers/bewares, are very welcome and thanks again guys.

Mike

Is this sc off a GTP or a Super Coupe? I saw that you posted in another thread some thing about a GTP.

Well guys, I wasn't sure what it came off of, but I asked my friend and he said a GTP. I just remembered him saying that a similar blower is on the T-bird SC. Well now that we have that cleared up, I still think this is the site to learn about the M90, so i'll stay. And besides, I want a Super Coupe someday, so why not learn about it some right now.

I just found out some very disheartening news:( . The M90 spins clockwise, like every engine ever known except ONE!!!!!!!, Honda engine spin counterclockwise. Do you guys know how I can get around this. I know Jackson Racing sells an M90 made for Honda's but I don't have enough money. Also, I've heard you can reverse the rotation of your engine but that doesn't sound like a good idea. Any advice, or should I just give up my dream of having an M90, sell it, go put a turbo in my Legend, and then wait til the day I have a real Thunderbird SC

Mikey851 said:
I just found out some very disheartening news:( . The M90 spins clockwise, like every engine ever known except ONE!!!!!!!, Honda engine spin counterclockwise. Do you guys know how I can get around this. I know Jackson Racing sells an M90 made for Honda's but I don't have enough money. Also, I've heard you can reverse the rotation of your engine but that doesn't sound like a good idea. Any advice, or should I just give up my dream of having an M90, sell it, go put a turbo in my Legend, and then wait til the day I have a real Thunderbird SC
Balancer is on the passenger side huh? So you mean when standing on the passenger side the crank is rotating counterclockwise?

By the way, the club you're referring to wouldn't be ClubGP would it?

'bird

Last edited:
hey man welcome to the club

I also belong to a Mazda RX7 club myself, and I agree with your idea about people here being much nicer. I also have planned a similar install on my RX7.

The thing is this--if you are just going to use the sc in a custom install, couldn't you simply swap your inlet end on the sc? What I mean is that you run the inlet as the outlet and vice versa. Can this be done? Think about it--you are not going to get a custom manifold done, are you? Chances are good that you planned on simply running the duct from the filter to the sc, and then from the sc to your engine, right? Well, first of all, be sure to use an intercooler--look on ebay for them. They are there all the time. seeing how you will not need to use any of the other accessories like the MAF from the GTP, I think you could possibly get away with this. You will be able to mount the sc in there with plenty of room to run your intake ducting.

Can anyone who knows more about this specific sc comment on this idea? Is it possible?

skydivr7673 said:
The thing is this--if you are just going to use the sc in a custom install, couldn't you simply swap your inlet end on the sc? What I mean is that you run the inlet as the outlet and vice versa. Can this be done?
The M90 just isn't physically designed to flow in reverse rotation. This installation sounds like an excellent candidate for a jackshaft.

'bird

You can still do it but you need to use the outside of the belt to drive the SC' pulley instead of the inside of the belt like it is on our cars. This will rotate the SC opposite the crankshaft BUT you'd have to get rid of the ribbed pully and then you could be looking at slipping....

Obviously you'd need to add some extra pullies to wrap the outside of the belt around the pulley.

Frit

Back