HEAD questions, oil leak , valve covers , gasket, etc. lol

ndoftyme69

I've been reading the posts and done the related searches on this subject. I learned that 89-93 style heads part #'s started with E9SE- ,while the 94-95 style heads part #'s start with F4SE-. well the SC heads I recently purchased (when replacing my head gaskets), the part # started with niether of those #'s it started with part # F3.I've also read posts that say the valve cover gaskets are different from 89-93 and 94-95 heads, the reason why I'm tryin to figure this out is I have an oil leak on my driver side valve cover ever since I put the car back 2gether,runs great ,just leaks oil. when I first took it on a test drive it caught on fire because of the oil leak. I then re-tightened all the valve cover bolts, and the leak was still there. I went back to
advance auto and bought a
second fel-pro blue gasket to make sure the first one wasn't screwed up
and then I shortened the valve cover bolts and then re-tightened them,well that slowed it down but the valve cover is still leaking. and I can't figure out how to get it to stop. very embarrassing when i'm sittin at a red light and people are rollin up their window cuz the oil leaking on the manifolds and burning off. I'm wondering if the heads I have with the part # F3 are to blame???? sorry for the loooong post . any input would be appreciated and does anybody else have heads that start with F3?

Relax, sometimes it takes more than 3 hours to get an answer. Secondly, sometimes the people that do read the thread, don't have a clue about your question.

For instance, I have no idea about the part numbers you listed :)

As for the gaskets, I put a very thin layer of RTV on both sides of the gaskets before I install them. The only bad thing, is that it makes it very difficult to remove the valve covers in the future because it's like I glued them to my heads. The good thing is: No Leaks :)

Make sure the gasket is sitting on the head correctly. You only need to torque the valve cover down to 10ft/lbs.

I have not use any rtv sealant on my valve covers and the do not leak. RTV must be a St Louis thing!!!!:rolleyes:

Good Luck
Ken

Ken Seegers said:
RTV must be a St Louis thing!!!!:rolleyes:

If it's good enough for Chris Wise, it's good enough for me. Or maybe, it's only there to compensate for the beer consumed during installation :rolleyes:

lol, I tried the rtv thing and it didn't work out. I'm prolly goin to work on it this weekend. so I'll try it again (rtv) or figure something out.and i'll get pics of the heads and part #'s

Clean Surfaces

ndoftyme69 said:
lol, I tried the rtv thing and it didn't work out.
I probably don't need to ask, but I'm gonna. Did you clean all the oil off the gasket surface on both the head & valve cover?

68COUGAR

ndoftyme69 said:
lol, I tried the rtv thing and it didn't work out. I'm prolly goin to work on it this weekend. so I'll try it again (rtv) or figure something out.and i'll get pics of the heads and part #'s
Buy the vc gaskets from Ford and then spread a VERY thin layer of RTV on the gasket and stick it to the vc. The spread another thin layer of RTV to the gasket and set it on the head.

Like Ken said, the RTV should be needed, but that's how I've been doing it with success.

Back