Door Hinge Worn Pins

USCFOOTBALL

I OWN A 1989 SC. MY DOOR HINGES ARE WORN BAD I WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS PIN KITS. SO I CAN REPAIR HINGES. OR DO I HAVE TO FIND USED GOOD ONES TO REPLACE MINE. NEED HELP ITS HARD TO CLOSE MY DOOR. THANKS

FORDS FOREVER.........

Sorry I have been away so long. Long time since visiting let alone posting. Got myself a PSD Ford truck and got involved in their forum. Equal to this one in membership and quality of help. I more or less gave my SC to my girl and she has managed to turn it into a pile of junk. Anyway, it badly needs drivers side hinges replaced. I have new hinges but all shops want a small fortune to install. Is this something I can do at home by myself? I have heard the dash has to come out. Any help will be much appreciated.

Replacing Door Hinges

markadeck said:
badly needs drivers side hinges replaced. I have new hinges but all shops want a small fortune to install. Is this something I can do at home by myself? I have heard the dash has to come out.
When you say that you have new hinges, Do you mean the whole hinge assy. OR do you mean new hinge PIN kits? You can get hinge pin kits from Auto Zone. 1 kit fixes 1 door.

Yes, you can do this at home, in your garage, but you will need 2 people (1st person works, 2nd persons steadies the disconnected door). No, the dash does NOT need to come out IF you only change the hinge pins. Usually it's only the pins & bushings that go bad.

If you only change the pins, get a Sawz-All with a long metal cutting blade (I used a fine tooth wood cutting blade, & threw it away when I was done). The Sawz-All will cut throught the center of the pin in about 20 sec. Then you have to drive the pin halfs up & down throught the hinge bushings. Remove the old bushing with a chisel & long nose pliers. You will have to slightly drill out the bushing holes in the hinge (drill top 1st. then drill bottom THROUGH to top hole). I think the A/Z hinge kit has thicker bushings than OEM. The correct size drill is an Odd Ball size, and the kit does NOT tell you what drill to use. I used a dig. caliper on the bushings to figure out what size drill to use. What I remember is that the correct size drill, was between 2 sizes in my big drill index. Press the new bushings into the holes. Then move the door hinge half back into the body hinge half & tap the pins through. It will take some wigglin' & jigglin' to get the pins through both holes. The pins have a piointed tip to make them go through easier. There are C-clips that snap around the pins. Use the upper slot for the C-clips.

The 1st. hinge will take you a little while. The 2nd. hinge will go fairly quickly. I think the my 1st. hinge took about 2 hrs & the second about 30 min. Once you've done one, the 2nd is easy.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
Isnt the Autozone kit for F150 doors? I bought a set once for one of my cars, but sold it before I could intall them and cant find my hinge kits anywhere since I moved. Now I need to do both sides on my 90. I remember the pins being way too long, but working.

Re: Way To Long

7birdslater said:
Isnt the Autozone kit for F150 doors? I remember the pins being way too long, but working.
The A/Z kit that we used didn't specify any particular models. It just said FORD. The guy I helped do hinges was more concerned about his doors working properly, than how it looked.

If the pins being longer really bothers you that much, you can cut them off with a hack saw & use a grinding wheel to make a new point on them.

68COUGAR

I already purchased complete OEM hinges from the stealership. What do you guys recommend, just take the new pins out and replace the old, or replace the entire hinge?

I went the hinge route once, and the dealership said it was painfull. I would try the hinge pins and bushings first, and then if all else fails, replace the whole things. Your hinges are worth some cash too.:) I also dont care how long the pins are, just something quirky I remember about them. Mine also had a chart on the back and listed the F150. Gotta go get some as my washer shimmed doors are getting old.

RE: Removing NEW Hinge Pins

markadeck said:
I already purchased complete OEM hinges from the stealership. What do you guys recommend, just take the new pins out and replace the old, or replace the entire hinge?
If your new hinges are like the OEM hinges (& they probably are), you can NOT remove the hinge pins without cutting them. That is why you have to cut the hinge pin & drive the top half UP & the bottom half DOWN. Have a look at your new hinges & let us know if the pins are removeable w/o cutting.

68COUGAR

a quik fix

is to shim the back of the hinge plate with washers:eek: it will lift out the door higher to aline with lock jam :) did 5 doors and no problem:cool: first is 5 yrs now;) intime will wear out but still working:rolleyes:

When you say that you have new hinges, Do you mean the whole hinge assy. OR do you mean new hinge PIN kits? You can get hinge pin kits from Auto Zone. 1 kit fixes 1 door.

Yes, you can do this at home, in your garage, but you will need 2 people (1st person works, 2nd persons steadies the disconnected door). No, the dash does NOT need to come out IF you only change the hinge pins. Usually it's only the pins & bushings that go bad.

If you only change the pins, get a Sawz-All with a long metal cutting blade (I used a fine tooth wood cutting blade, & threw it away when I was done). The Sawz-All will cut throught the center of the pin in about 20 sec. Then you have to drive the pin halfs up & down throught the hinge bushings. Remove the old bushing with a chisel & long nose pliers. You will have to slightly drill out the bushing holes in the hinge (drill top 1st. then drill bottom THROUGH to top hole). I think the A/Z hinge kit has thicker bushings than OEM. The correct size drill is an Odd Ball size, and the kit does NOT tell you what drill to use. I used a dig. caliper on the bushings to figure out what size drill to use. What I remember is that the correct size drill, was between 2 sizes in my big drill index. Press the new bushings into the holes. Then move the door hinge half back into the body hinge half & tap the pins through. It will take some wigglin' & jigglin' to get the pins through both holes. The pins have a piointed tip to make them go through easier. There are C-clips that snap around the pins. Use the upper slot for the C-clips.

The 1st. hinge will take you a little while. The 2nd. hinge will go fairly quickly. I think the my 1st. hinge took about 2 hrs & the second about 30 min. Once you've done one, the 2nd is easy.

68COUGAR

I love all the tips and hints on this forum

Back