When is a Coy Miller Race Engine not actually a Race Engine?

briankeithsmith said:
Which Track(s)?

Brian
at the drag strip. i used to autocross the car, but that got lame, i really loved corner carving, but there was not close tracks, so i decided to start dragging. now i have BeaverRun complex about 40 minutes from me. i would love getting back into that.

Trailer

"Trailer to the track"

When you are making a lot of horsepower and racing the car its best anyone will tell you trailer it back and forth to the track. I ran mine on the street with same combo intill the tags ran out with big dog exhaust ran perfect on Cheveron high octain gas. But on the track 109 VP works best for a high compression engine

CMac89 said:
All I was saying is that a good amount of power can be picked up by going with higher compression, that was all. I was just naming off other ways to get power from. I wasn't putting your car down only just encouraging for the shot at a ten second run without nitrous.

I understand the pump gas side of it, but it's the owner's choice whether or not he actually wants to run race gas or not. Kevin, and maybe Jim, were going for the best they could get out of a certain combination so they did all they could. The more cylinder pressure the more HP you make. This is why they did it so you don't have to run excessive boost. By doing this you can keep the blower's efficiency up while taking advantage of higher cylinder pressure through CR.

Running a high CR and being able to use pump gas at the same time is as simple as this. Run low boost on the street and whenever you wanna hit the track then put a smaller pulley on. An alky kit will take care of fuel problems.

I don't think the alky kit will take care of 11:1 and 19.5 pounds of boost like Jim is running. Since he said he didn't have a tuner I'm assuming he was running stock timing (maybe 4 degrees less if octane plug was pulled).

The only benifit to running lower compression is the ability to make more power with pump gas, and the utility, convience and economy of being able to use pump gas. On a car that's built for max power using whatever fuel is necessary, then the higher compression is probably a better option.

Since I want my car to run with just as much power on the street as on the track, the low compression is a better option for me. When I need more power for the track I can just use nitrous.

David

I don't think the alky kit will take care of 11:1 and 19.5 pounds of boost like Jim is running.

I would think it to depend on the mixture. I know someone running a rail with a SBC and something like 13:1 with a blower...Of course hes running straight alcohol...But still who knows..That is unless someone tries it. A combination of timing adjustment with the addition of alcohol may do the trick..However relying on alcohol to compensate for lack of octane has blown up many a turbo and SC'd stang. You dont need to look far to see the horror stories online and in real life

That car is absolutely bad a$$ Brian! You need to convince Ralph to take it to Mid-Ohio sometime this summer.

Shane

Gang:

For those of you who are interested in the person that did the work, we called him this morning and asked his permission to post his contact info here.

So here it is:
Les Lesnesky
Performance Automotive

Brian

That car is absolutely bad a$$ Brian! You need to convince Ralph to take it to Mid-Ohio sometime this summer.

Shane

Thanks man. I was actually suppose to be at Mid Ohio this weekend, but I lost my head and neck device and had to stay home. I figured with the fuel costs of traveling up there, and the motel costs, that by not going I'd save enough money to replace the unit.

Here's a video from Road Atlanta:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4855424110527258743&q=brian+keith+smith&pl=true

Brian

What class does he run in and how competative is the car? What is done to it suspenssion wise?

Shane

If you are referring to Ralph, he's just doing open track stuff right now. The car hasn't been running well enough for him to attempt to get his license until now. So now that everything seems to be working well, I think he's tentatively planning to get his race license in August maybe at VIR with NASA.

Heck I don't know everything he's done. He's got a full cage, Eibach springs, I'm really not sure. He does have a Jerico 4 speed in it. Kinda cool. He only has to use the clutch when leaving the pits. On the track he doesn't have to use the clutch once its rolling.

Over the summer I think he's planning on going to Coil Overs, or at least he was, but I'm not really sure what the overall plan is.

His car does good though. As you can tell from the pics it doesn't lean at all, or at least very little.

Brian

Thats awesome Brian. Hopefully someday this summer I will be able to race with you and Ralph in my SC on a road course. If I do get to run my car this year I want it to be at Mid-Ohio.

Shane

Went for a ride in Ralph's car

briankeithsmith said:
If you are referring to Ralph, he's just doing open track stuff right now. The car hasn't been running well enough for him to attempt to get his license until now. So now that everything seems to be working well, I think he's tentatively planning to get his race license in August maybe at VIR with NASA.

Heck I don't know everything he's done. He's got a full cage, Eibach springs, I'm really not sure. He does have a Jerico 4 speed in it. Kinda cool. He only has to use the clutch when leaving the pits. On the track he doesn't have to use the clutch once its rolling.

Over the summer I think he's planning on going to Coil Overs, or at least he was, but I'm not really sure what the overall plan is.

His car does good though. As you can tell from the pics it doesn't lean at all, or at least very little.

Brian
I did a NASA HPDE in Feb at VIR in Feb and Ralph was my instructor so on Sun he took me for a ride.Definately different than my SC and it's no slouch.

Back