Turbo motor back in the car

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Took the day off work Friday and Chris Wise and I finished assembling the motor and got it back into the car. We spent a lot of time insulating wires and hoses from the turbo headers and other hot pipes in hopes of preventing future problems. While redoing the insulation we found a powersteering hose that was badly burned, but decided not to delay installing the motor, so we tripple insulated it and if it leaks I'll change it later.

There is still a bunch of things to install and hook up, but all the hard stuff is done. The turbo hotside plumbing is a major pain and requires about five hands and alot of cursing to get everything alligned and secured with the V band clamps. Fortunatly there was enough room to install the drivers side header and fit/form the new dipstick tube while the motor was still on the stand. Since the motor isn't looking nearly a nice as when it was new, I decided to pretty it up a little by sandblasting and repainting all the pulleys.

Anyway....here are some pictures of yesterday's progress.

David

Attachments

• IM003177.JPG
    IM003177.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IM003178.JPG
    IM003178.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IM003179.JPG
    IM003179.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 106
  • IM003180.JPG
    IM003180.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 112
  • IM003182.JPG
    IM003182.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 110
More pictures.

Attachments

• IM003183.JPG
    IM003183.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IM003185.JPG
    IM003185.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IM003186.JPG
    IM003186.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IM003189.JPG
    IM003189.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IM003190.JPG
    IM003190.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 171
Lookin good and I bet you're excited to go terrorize the streets again. I too have found that yelling at the parts you're trying to put on helps alot.:)

What are your plans for this year with the turbo car?

Blown 91 Bird said:
nice. Do you have a crank trigger on there?

No...The distributor (94/95 Mustang 5.0) has a reluctor wheel and vane sensor that performs that function. If I end up with an aftermarket ECU like FAST I will need to a add a crank trigger, but since I'm still using the stock computer it's not needed.

David

CMac89 said:
What are you using for an intercooler?

Remember all those comments about the Bud Light? Turns out the cans are made from high grade aluminum. Makes great intercoolers. The cooler they go in tends to tip over in the trunk though and makes a mess. :cool:

David N,

You should be able to go with an aftermarket EFI setup as it uses factory sensors for the most part. You dont have to go crank trigger

With space being an issue I wouldn't even intercool it. I would use 100% methanol and call it a day.

CMac89 said:
What are you using for an intercooler?

It has a rather large 4" thick front mount air to air intercooler and a dual nozzel Snow methanol injection system to cool down the intake air temps. Most of the front bumper structure was sawed out and all the plastic honeycomb stuff and the fog lights had to be removed to make room for the intercooler. Here are some more pics.

David

PS: My plans for the turbo car this year, are to fix all the little stuff that's wrong or missing and try to reach my goal of 800 rwhp without breaking something. Once that's done I'll likely take it to the local track and try to get kicked out.

Attachments

• IM003194.JPG
    IM003194.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IM003196.JPG
    IM003196.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IM003197.JPG
    IM003197.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IM003201.JPG
    IM003201.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IM003198.JPG
    IM003198.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 229
David Neibert said:
PS: My plans for the turbo car this year, are to fix all the little stuff that's wrong or missing and try to reach my goal of 800 rwhp without breaking something. Once that's done I'll likely take it to the local track and try to get kicked out.

HEHE!!!! Im turning off my cable!!! Why the hell do I need it with Neibert around???:confused: :D

That's the same exact IC I used for the setup I just got done making yesterday. I think atleast. I even mounted mine the same way on the top.

Is the core dimension 24x12x4?

Last edited:
CMac89 said:
That's the same exact IC I used for the setup I just got done making yesterday. I think atleast. I even mounted mine the same way on the top.

Is the core dimension 24x12x4?

I think it's a little longer than 24 ....probably closer to 28", but yes 4" thick x12" high. Here's a picture of how it looked after mounting the tranny cooler in front of it.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15266&d=1126397104

The guys at Forced Fab charged me for a Spearco core custom IC, but I found out later it was a made in China....cheap Ebay knockoff. It looks pretty good and seems to work well, so I'm happy with it. Just didn't like getting overcharged.

David

Last edited:
David,
looking good hope you hit your mark this year.:)
Did you ever ask forced fab about the intercooler if so what did they have to say?

The core size dimensions are different from overall length. My IC is 31" from endtank to end tank, but 24" from weld to weld on the core.

That's a nice clean setup.:)

Jason Wild said:
David,
looking good hope you hit your mark this year.:)
Did you ever ask forced fab about the intercooler if so what did they have to say?

Yes I did confront them about the IC along with several other issues related to the turbo install. I also filed a complaint with the CC company and asked for a $1500 refund to cover that and a portion of the expenses to fix all the stuff they did wrong.

The matter is still pending. Meanwhile I continue to confront them on the turbomustang websites.

CMac89 said:
The core size dimensions are different from overall length. My IC is 31" from endtank to end tank, but 24" from weld to weld on the core.

I just went out and measured it. The core is 27" long and with end tanks it's about 34". It just barely fits between the bumper supports.

David

seawalkersee said:
And...................NOW your tags are expired. These cars will do that to ya every time.

Chris

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. That means I've been working on this project for more than two years and it's still up on the jackstands.

David

David Neibert said:
Once that's done I'll likely take it to the local track and try to get kicked out.

When you're ready to do that, make sure you let me know. I'll definitely come over to the track for that.

My car is all in pieces right now, too. The line locks just went on, and I'm waiting on the new driveshaft to get here before I start working on the back half of the car.

-Rod

Back