Ford SVO 4.5L Experts?

I've got some old SVO catalogs that talked about it. From what I recall almost no parts are interchangable between the 3.8 and the 4.5.

Kevin Varnes said:
I've got some old SVO catalogs that talked about it. From what I recall almost no parts are interchangable between the 3.8 and the 4.5.
The reason for the question is that I bought a one over the weekend for a future project for my cougar. I did manage to get the Ford SVO V6 rebulders guide by Dave Emanual which is very informative. The only interchangable parts are the timing chain cover (with modifications) and the water pump.
I am looking for someone that has any level of experience or any printed information, though there doesn't seem to be much printed about it. I will take some pictures of the engine and post for anyone that might be interested.
Thanks

Cloyes has a "True Roller" timing chain for the 3.8 SVO, you might want to call them and see if it will interchange.

Here are some shots. Note the difference in the heads

Attachments

• IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,595
  • IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,586
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,621
  • IMG_0989.JPG
    IMG_0989.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,478
SupachargedSC said:
I am assuming the heads wont fit the 3.8 either? That sucks those would hold down just fine!
The cylinder spacing is greater for the 4.5, so no luck there. I must say the 4.5 is what our 3.8's should have been like. The heads are built by Cosworth in England and are a very fine example of a aluminum casting.

Super XR7 said:
The cylinder spacing is greater for the 4.5, so no luck there. I must say the 4.5 is what our 3.8's should have been like. The heads are built by Cosworth in England and are a very fine example of a aluminum casting.

Mike,

That looks like a great turbo motor. With those thick decks, extra studs and 4 bolt mains, that motor will handle some serious cylinder pressure. Does it have a billet crank and solid roller lifters too ?

BTW, I think SCE makes gaskets for that motor.

David

These engines are great for turbos...There is a guy in ontario here that had the gm 4.5 bush series motor in an 80's vette, it was turboed and ran in the 9's. Fun stuff

David Neibert said:
Mike,

That looks like a great turbo motor. With those thick decks, extra studs and 4 bolt mains, that motor will handle some serious cylinder pressure. Does it have a billet crank and solid roller lifters too ?

BTW, I think SCE makes gaskets for that motor.

David

Good to know about the gaskets. The crank is a billet crank, T&J shaft mount rockers and yes, solid roller lifters. They came from the crate NA rated at 530-535 hp. Plan is put a blower on it and maybe 700+ hp??

Super XR7 said:
Good to know about the gaskets. The crank is a billet crank, T&J shaft mount rockers and yes, solid roller lifters. They came from the crate NA rated at 530-535 hp. Plan is put a blower on it and maybe 700+ hp??

I think your setting you sights too low. That motor is capable of making more power than the motor I've got in my turbo car. I'm sure it will easily make a 1000 HP and with twin turbos I'll bet 1300 wouldn't be out of reach.

With that kind of hardware I wouldn't even bother messing with a supercharger....twin turbo that thing and you'll have the sickest car in this club.

David

I would say you can make 1000Hp with a blower when I looked in to them it was said they dyno out at like 650 700Hp out of the box.
Just woundering where did you pick that up from?

Jason Wild said:
I would say you can make 1000Hp with a blower when I looked in to them it was said they dyno out at like 650 700Hp out of the box.
I got them from a guy up in Michigan. Imust of been lucky because they seem to be hard to find at a reasonable price. 1000 hp?, I could do that!

Jason Wild said:

On what octane fuel? Those are some extreme numbers.

Back