Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Lower Engine Cradle Brace

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    2,222

    Lower Engine Cradle Brace

    Can anybody explain to me what the KB Lower Engine Cradle Brace (center of pic) does? What does it Brace & why do we need it? I've looked at it before & still can't figure out what it does.

    There are 17 of'em on E-bay right now.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

    Confused 68COUGAR
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 68COUGAR; 01-20-2006 at 07:23 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Medina, OH (outside Cleveland)
    Posts
    2,998
    I would use the FSSB (front suspension support brace) and LECB (lower engine cradle brace) in conjuntion with each other. This post on the TCCoA has some pics:

    http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...highlight=fssb

    The LECB does require welding a tab on the uni-body for the bolt. I did both on my car (with a lot of other mods), so I cannot say how much improvement they made. They have made excellent skid plate protection for my long tube headers!

    They essentially tie the engine crossmember to the body of the car and to the crossmember out in front to stiffen up those pieces so they flex less and give better handling. Some people swear by them and probably others swear at them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    2,976
    The auction does not include the FSSB, only the STB (Shock Tower Brace) and LECB. The LECB ties the back part of the subframe to the Body. The FSSB would tie the LECB further up to the front of the subframe.

    When Kenny Brown was selling these pieces, I believe they cost $50 for the FSSB, $67 for the LECB, and the STB usually go for $85-100. Johnny Langton has much higher prices on these braces, so the Ebay deal isnt bad, but it is not complete.

    If you want to stiffen up your chassis, I would suggest going for a full set, including all of the rear suspension braces as well.
    Last edited by Ddubb; 01-20-2006 at 07:55 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Tejas...home of Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddubb
    The auction does not include the FSSB, only the STB (Shock Tower Brace) and LECB. The LECB ties the back part of the subframe to the Body. The FSSB would tie the LECB further up to the front of the subframe.

    When Kenny Brown was selling these pieces, I believe they cost $50 for the FSSB, $67 for the LECB, and the STB usually go for $85-100. Johnny Langton has much higher prices on these braces, so the Ebay deal isnt bad, but it is not complete.

    If you want to stiffen up your chassis, I would suggest going for a full set, including all of the rear suspension braces as well.
    With all due respect, Johnny did quality work. I saw him last week at a local shop and he basicly asked me why I didn't get into doing them, I answered that I figured there wasn't much demand. He sez he gets requests often enuff that it might be a good idea for me to do SUMTHIN".

    Since I've got so many different jigs at the shop...

    'bird

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Bernardino, CA
    Posts
    4,523
    get jiggy with it sounds like a good product

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kamloops, British Columbia
    Posts
    346

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by tbird88
    With all due respect, Johnny did quality work. I saw him last week at a local shop and he basicly asked me why I didn't get into doing them, I answered that I figured there wasn't much demand. He sez he gets requests often enuff that it might be a good idea for me to do SUMTHIN".

    Since I've got so many different jigs at the shop...

    'bird
    IMO if you started making these products (if it is worth it for you) wou would have no problem selling a whack of them.
    The number one reason being that the other person making them is not well known on SCCoA and you have a very good reputation over here. Second being that everytime someone mentions these items it generates a lot of interest.
    Again i dont know if it is worth it to you but from what I have seen on this site it might not be a bad idea.

    Oh yeah and it might give you something else to polish......

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Tejas...home of Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk SC
    IMO if you started making these products (if it is worth it for you) wou would have no problem selling a whack of them.
    The number one reason being that the other person making them is not well known on SCCoA and you have a very good reputation over here. Second being that everytime someone mentions these items it generates a lot of interest.
    Again i dont know if it is worth it to you but from what I have seen on this site it might not be a bad idea.

    Oh yeah and it might give you something else to polish......
    I've studied the Frt Shock Brace in the past and wondered why it wasn't tied to the firewall so I looked into it. Heck, there just isn't anywhere to install bolts. I say that because ya cain't get up behind our dash to do anything related to bolting to the firewall, too bad. I was hopin' to tie it in similar to the old Monte Carlo/Export Braces that the 60's Mustang used.
    There's some killer thickwall pipe at the shop, it's around 1" OD, I'll look at it when I go down there this mornin'. Bending is no sweat, we've got a 60 ton press from the 1940s that's smooth as silk...hey, wait a sec...ya already got me fabbin' these up in my head LOL!

    As far as being known or not, the ad has some pics of an SC in it, sure it's not someone on this board?

    'bird

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kamloops, British Columbia
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird88

    As far as being known or not, the ad has some pics of an SC in it, sure it's not someone on this board?

    'bird
    I was referring to the guy on TCCoA that makes these kinds of products. He name rarely pops up over here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    South Central Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,538
    someone should work on the rear end of these cars to eliminate wheel hop....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    4,849
    Anyone got a pic of the lower brace on the car I want to see what they mount to.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Tejas...home of Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstar_one
    someone should work on the rear end of these cars to eliminate wheel hop....
    The problem is the upper control arm. It only has one mounting point on the subframe, it's not triangulated like the lower arm is. Also, the mounting point is an eccentric bushing for alignment, makes matters worse.

    'bird

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Milford, Michigan
    Posts
    1,398
    "The problem is the upper control arm. It only has one mounting point on the subframe, it's not triangulated like the lower arm is. "

    I'm working on a fix for this. I've got an extra rear subframe in my garage that I'm working on. I'll share some pictures in a few weeks.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Tejas...home of Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Slysc
    I'm working on a fix for this. I've got an extra rear subframe in my garage that I'm working on. I'll share some pictures in a few weeks.
    I always wondered if anyone ever successfully added a quad-shock like the Turbo Coupes. Maybe drill a hole in the upper control arm for one end of a small shock and mount the other end to that hole that's already in the subframe...the one next to the swaybar mount.

    hmm...

    'bird

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    4,849
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird88
    I always wondered if anyone ever successfully added a quad-shock like the Turbo Coupes. Maybe drill a hole in the upper control arm for one end of a small shock and mount the other end to that hole that's already in the subframe...the one next to the swaybar mount.

    hmm...

    'bird
    Tryed that Rim gets in the way un less you mount it way can as well the shock is not all that stiff so for the track you might want a steel bar in there.

Similar Threads

  1. Kenny Brown Strut Brace and lower Braces
    By giunick99 in forum Parts for Sale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 03:42 PM
  2. Kenny Brown Strut Brace and Lower Brace
    By giunick99 in forum Parts for Sale
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 04:37 AM
  3. conventional plugs, superchargers and dyno tune
    By tbird91sc in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •