8.8 Diff Rebuild W/ Gears

Tom,

At a minimum I think you will want to rebuild the traction loc and replace all the seals. Installing new gears and setting them to the proper backlash and preload is out of my leauge, that's why I had a shop rebuild mine and install the gears.

Your probably going to need both those kits shown on the webpage, but you might want to check with the shop doing the work (if you use a shop), because some of those guys are very picky about what parts they use.

This thread has some good info on the topic.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47540

David

Last edited:
Toms-SC said:
Thanks David. Did you get the shop to rebuild your trac-loc or did you do it yourself?

I had them install a new Auburn Pro diff while they were doing the gears on mine. But I did help Kurt K. rebuild his traction loc with additional frictions and steels and an F150 "S" spring. It wasn't hard except for getting the spring compressed and installed.

David

Rebuilding the traction-lok was pretty easy, but like Dave said, compressing the F-150 S-Spring was definitely a "puckering" experience. Even with the 2 ss hose clamps to compress it, I didn't feel real comfortable while forceing the spring into place.

But we didn't setup new gears. The traction-lock can be rebuilt without needing to go through a gear setup proceedure.

Back