Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My Turbo Build up - WITH DYNO VIDEO!!!

My Turbo Build up - WITH DYNO VIDEO!!!

As some of you know myself and two other friends are building a turbo set-up and i am trying to document it, so i will start a new thread, the other one was just to see if anyone was interested, and apparently some of you are which is great, so here are just a few mroe pics of what we accomplished tonight also here is the link to the previous post i had which also has pictures.
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73096

if anyone has tips ideas or questions id love to hear em...project is looking to be done by the end of this month hopefully.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by aplvlydrtybird; 10-29-2008 at 11:27 AM.

the images quality on those pictures is extremely bad i think you might have uploaded the wrong set of pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Spider
    the images quality on those pictures is extremely bad i think you might have uploaded the wrong set of pictures
    That may be, but they show more than enough detail to get the idea.

Still looks cool though.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

Shrink pictures down a bit an dgood luck!...Id love to hear from ya once its running
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

I can help with a base tune.

if anyone has tips ideas or questions id love to hear em...project is looking to be done by the end of this month hopefully
    Keith,

Since your setting up the MAF before the turbo (draw thru), you will need to install a bypass valve and route that air back to the pipe between the turbo inlet and MAF. If you use a BOV you will be dumping metered air to atmosphere causing a temporary rich condition everytime the BOV opens.

So far what you've done looks good.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat...............707HP/650TQ

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BKB
    I can help with a base tune.

thanks, i currently have the mn12 performance tuner.

David,
    i currently have a BOV, would i be able to still use this or how could i make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by aplvlydrtybird
    thanks, i currently have the mn12 performance tuner.

David,
    i currently have a BOV, would i be able to still use this or how could i make it work?
    You could make it work by relocating the MAF to a position after the turbo (blow thru) and place the BOV before the MAF. That way any air that is exhausted doesn't matter, because it hasn't been metered by the MAF yet. That's how I have mine setup.

The down side is, that in a blow thru pressurised configuration, the MAF doesn't have as much range and will peg sooner than in a draw thru. At the power level your going for it's not a problem.

David

My Garage

Or you can get a maf made especially from blow through type configurations
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert
    Since your setting up the MAF before the turbo (draw thru), you will need to install a bypass valve and route that air back to the pipe between the turbo inlet and MAF. If you use a BOV you will be dumping metered air to atmosphere causing a temporary rich condition everytime the BOV opens.
    Yeah, this is the conventional wisdom over on the Turbo Regal boards too. However, a friend killed a turbo in short order by closing the throttle too quick when he first got the car. He wanted to install a BOV but everyone claimed it had to be done as a bypass. Well he installed it as a BOV and guess what? It made no difference to how the car ran when you snapped the throttle closed on boost. Seems that GM put a little subroutine in their program called Deceleration Fuel Cut-off (DFCO) which shuts the injectors off when the throttle is closed when the engine is off idle and there is vehicle speed. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that Ford did something similar by another name.

edit: at the same time we've learned to roll out of the throttle, instead of just dropping it like you would a N/A car, so a BOV isn't as important as we thought early on.
    Last edited by Parker Dean; 02-08-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker Dean
    Yeah, this is the conventional wisdom over on the Turbo Regal boards too. However, a friend killed a turbo in short order by closing the throttle too quick when he first got the car. He wanted to install a BOV but everyone claimed it had to be done as a bypass. Well he installed it as a BOV and guess what? It made no difference to how the car ran when you snapped the throttle closed on boost. Seems that GM put a little subroutine in their program called Deceleration Fuel Cut-off (DFCO) which shuts the injectors off when the throttle is closed when the engine is off idle and there is vehicle speed. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that Ford did something similar by another name.

edit: at the same time we've learned to roll out of the throttle, instead of just dropping it like you would a N/A car, so a BOV isn't as important as we thought early on.
    So how did he kill the turbo if he had the BOV installed correctly ?

David

My Garage

ok heres two scenarios...

1. i leave the maf where it sits and still use the bov right after the intercooler before it hits the TB, what can go wrong.

2. I put the maf right before the throttle body, where do i put the bov right after the air passes through the intercooler on the tube. is that where it goes. also how does this affect tuning??? any different than having the way i had it before???

a bov ISNT AS IMPORTANT ON AN AUTOMATIC CAR BUT FOR A 5 SPEED YOU DEFINATELY NEED ONE.

You would need a MAF able to work with a blow through setup because as David had stated you may peg it to early. The Maf itself should have as much room as it can before the TB and before it turns into the IC as possable if used as a blow through.

so what would you suggest i do

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert
    So how did he kill the turbo if he had the BOV installed correctly ?

David

Sorry, I must not have made it clear. The turbo got killed by backing out of the throttle too quick (excessive end play) within a couple weeks of getting the car. THEN he installed a BOV (THEN killed a tranny, THEN killed an engine, but that's another story ) Since his car has spent more down time than run time in the last year, we've been playing woth other peoples TR's that don't have BOV's and that's where we've learned to roll out of the throttle.