My Turbo Build up - WITH DYNO VIDEO!!!

aplvlydrtybird

As some of you know myself and two other friends are building a turbo set-up and i am trying to document it, so i will start a new thread, the other one was just to see if anyone was interested, and apparently some of you are which is great, so here are just a few mroe pics of what we accomplished tonight also here is the link to the previous post i had which also has pictures.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73096

if anyone has tips ideas or questions id love to hear em...project is looking to be done by the end of this month hopefully.

Attachments

• whole fender intake.jpg
    whole fender intake.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,593
  • pass side exhaust tacked.jpg
    pass side exhaust tacked.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,729
  • front view intake.jpg
    front view intake.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,277
Last edited:
the images quality on those pictures is extremely bad :eek: i think you might have uploaded the wrong set of pictures ;)

Spider said:
the images quality on those pictures is extremely bad :eek: i think you might have uploaded the wrong set of pictures ;)
That may be, but they show more than enough detail to get the idea.

Still looks cool though.

if anyone has tips ideas or questions id love to hear em...project is looking to be done by the end of this month hopefully

Keith,

Since your setting up the MAF before the turbo (draw thru), you will need to install a bypass valve and route that air back to the pipe between the turbo inlet and MAF. If you use a BOV you will be dumping metered air to atmosphere causing a temporary rich condition everytime the BOV opens.

So far what you've done looks good.

David

BKB said:
I can help with a base tune.

thanks, i currently have the mn12 performance tuner.

David,
i currently have a BOV, would i be able to still use this or how could i make it work?

aplvlydrtybird said:
thanks, i currently have the mn12 performance tuner.

David,
i currently have a BOV, would i be able to still use this or how could i make it work?

You could make it work by relocating the MAF to a position after the turbo (blow thru) and place the BOV before the MAF. That way any air that is exhausted doesn't matter, because it hasn't been metered by the MAF yet. That's how I have mine setup.

The down side is, that in a blow thru pressurised configuration, the MAF doesn't have as much range and will peg sooner than in a draw thru. At the power level your going for it's not a problem.

David

David Neibert said:
Since your setting up the MAF before the turbo (draw thru), you will need to install a bypass valve and route that air back to the pipe between the turbo inlet and MAF. If you use a BOV you will be dumping metered air to atmosphere causing a temporary rich condition everytime the BOV opens.

Yeah, this is the conventional wisdom over on the Turbo Regal boards too. However, a friend killed a turbo in short order by closing the throttle too quick when he first got the car. He wanted to install a BOV but everyone claimed it had to be done as a bypass. Well he installed it as a BOV and guess what? It made no difference to how the car ran when you snapped the throttle closed on boost. Seems that GM put a little subroutine in their program called Deceleration Fuel Cut-off (DFCO) which shuts the injectors off when the throttle is closed when the engine is off idle and there is vehicle speed. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that Ford did something similar by another name.

edit: at the same time we've learned to roll out of the throttle, instead of just dropping it like you would a N/A car, so a BOV isn't as important as we thought early on.

Last edited:
Parker Dean said:
Yeah, this is the conventional wisdom over on the Turbo Regal boards too. However, a friend killed a turbo in short order by closing the throttle too quick when he first got the car. He wanted to install a BOV but everyone claimed it had to be done as a bypass. Well he installed it as a BOV and guess what? It made no difference to how the car ran when you snapped the throttle closed on boost. Seems that GM put a little subroutine in their program called Deceleration Fuel Cut-off (DFCO) which shuts the injectors off when the throttle is closed when the engine is off idle and there is vehicle speed. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that Ford did something similar by another name.

edit: at the same time we've learned to roll out of the throttle, instead of just dropping it like you would a N/A car, so a BOV isn't as important as we thought early on.

So how did he kill the turbo if he had the BOV installed correctly ?

David

ok heres two scenarios...

1. i leave the maf where it sits and still use the bov right after the intercooler before it hits the TB, what can go wrong.

2. I put the maf right before the throttle body, where do i put the bov right after the air passes through the intercooler on the tube. is that where it goes. also how does this affect tuning??? any different than having the way i had it before???

a bov ISNT AS IMPORTANT ON AN AUTOMATIC CAR BUT FOR A 5 SPEED YOU DEFINATELY NEED ONE.

You would need a MAF able to work with a blow through setup because as David had stated you may peg it to early. The Maf itself should have as much room as it can before the TB and before it turns into the IC as possable if used as a blow through.

David Neibert said:
So how did he kill the turbo if he had the BOV installed correctly ?

David

Sorry, I must not have made it clear. The turbo got killed by backing out of the throttle too quick (excessive end play) within a couple weeks of getting the car. THEN he installed a BOV (THEN killed a tranny, THEN killed an engine, but that's another story :D ) Since his car has spent more down time than run time in the last year, we've been playing woth other peoples TR's that don't have BOV's and that's where we've learned to roll out of the throttle.

aplvlydrtybird said:
ok heres two scenarios...

1. i leave the maf where it sits and still use the bov right after the intercooler before it hits the TB, what can go wrong.

2. I put the maf right before the throttle body, where do i put the bov right after the air passes through the intercooler on the tube. is that where it goes. also how does this affect tuning??? any different than having the way i had it before???

1. Temporary rich condition whenever throttle is lifted under boost and BOV vents metered air. CEL will probably come one, but may not.

2. So long as BOV is located before the MAF it doesn't really matter where it's located. Mine is on the outlet side of the FMIC on the same pipe that goes to the throttle body. The MAF is located between the BOV and TB. That way air vented from the BOV has no effect on the A/F ratio, because it was vented prior to being metered by the MAF.

It's best to locate the MAF as close to the TB as possible if you have enough straight pipe before the MAF (most people don't have room). Mine is located in the lower passenger side fender just after the pipe begins to curve upward towards the throttle body. I don't have room to locate the MAF close to the throttle body, so I'll be relocating further away to a straight section of pipe to get a better reading.

The MAF diameter will normally be larger than the pipe you are using to bring the air from the intercooler to the throttle body. It is also important that there is a smooth transition on the pipe leading up to the MAF. For example don't run 2.5" ID pipe right up to the maf and install a silicone transition adaptor going from 2.5" to 3.5" or the sample tube in the MAF won't get a good reading.

Instead adapt to 3" or 3.5" pipe about a foot before the MAF using a coupler like mentioned above and use a straight coupler when attaching to the MAF. It doesn't really matter (as far as getting a good reading from the MAF) on the exit side of the MAF and you can drop down to smaller diameter with a silicone adaptor. But it will flow better with a smooth transition instead of one abrupt reduction in diameter.

David

Last edited:
I would not say its a PROBLEM, but I noticed in your pic that your header makes a turn and then the "down pipe" makes like a 90* turn into the trubo. Can you raise the collector and ease the turn there and then add the other bank exhaust to that to ease the angle? It is only a one demention pic so its hard to make that call from the moniter.

Chris

David Neibert said:
1. Temporary rich condition whenever throttle is lifted under boost and BOV vents metered air. CEL will probably come one, but may not.

2. So long as BOV is located before the MAF it doesn't really matter where it's located. Mine is on the outlet side of the FMIC on the same pipe that goes to the throttle body. The MAF is located between the BOV and TB. That way air vented from the BOV has no effect on the A/F ratio, because it was vented prior to being metered by the MAF.

It's best to locate the MAF as close to the TB as possible if you have enough straight pipe before the MAF (most people don't have room). Mine is located in the lower passenger side fender just after the pipe begins to curve upward towards the throttle body. I don't have room to locate the MAF close to the throttle body, so I'll be relocating further away to a straight section of pipe to get a better reading.

The MAF diameter will normally be larger than the pipe you are using to bring the air from the intercooler to the throttle body. It is also important that there is a smooth transition on the pipe leading up to the MAF. For example don't run 2.5" ID pipe right up to the maf and install a silicone transition adaptor going from 2.5" to 3.5" or the sample tube in the MAF won't get a good reading.

Instead adapt to 3" or 3.5" pipe about a foot before the MAF using a coupler like mentioned above and use a straight coupler when attaching to the MAF. It doesn't really matter (as far as getting a good reading from the MAF) on the exit side of the MAF and you can drop down to smaller diameter with a silicone adaptor. But it will flow better with a smooth transition instead of one abrupt reduction in diameter.

David

awesoem thanks dave. i will put maf on the tube coming across after the ic and have the bov right of the ic after air is passed through it. does this change tuning in any way?

as for the pass side exhaust, it is a tight bend but its the only way we could run it. the turbo has to sit at a certain height so it wont hit the hood, its not that bad up close, the pic isnt the greatest...we are usin the all the old 2 1/4" piping from my old exhaust and then running a 3 inch off the turbo and out the back of the car.

thanks for the continued help.

awesoem thanks dave. i will put maf on the tube coming across after the ic and have the bov right of the ic after air is passed through it. does this change tuning in any way?

No matter where you put the MAF your going to have to retune the car when adding a turbo. If that is the same MAF you were using it should still run pretty good, but don't go making any WOT blast down the road until you get the car on the dyno to verify the A/F ratio. You may even want to pull the octane plug to reduce the timing as an added measure of safety. Just be sure to use wires of similar gauge and solder the connections when extending the MAF wiring harness.

Plan to spend some money on custom tuning...Dave Dalke and I spent the better part of a day data logging and road tuning mine to get it drivable and operating in a safe A/F ratio range, but it still needs more work. Since your combo is already set up for forced induction it may be easier than mine was, but don't expect it to run good without a custom tune.

David

Dave covered it but I dont think he had the measurement on it. The best most Ideal place for the MAF is to have 12" of stright pipe on either side and no sharp bends directly before/after. But like he said...most people dont have room.

Chris

Back