rear wheel bearing

paully93sc

Hey guys I just did a rotation on my SC and the right rear wheel is moving back and forth / side to side. I just wanted to know if its a wheel bearing or is it a whole hub assembly like the front wheels. Also what is the easist way to install them

There is a rear wheel bearing how-to write up in the SC Literature section I believe. It's not quite as simple as the front bearings since you need to have the old one pressed out and a new one pressed in. I would pull the wheel and see if you can isolate the movement to a specific part, but more than likely the bearing is bad. If it has gone too long then you may also need a new rear knuckle as well. Good luck.

It's most likely the bearing; but with noticeable movement like you have you should be hearing it as you drive. Otherwise it could be bad bushings on one of the control arms. Hopefully you haven't damaged the hub or nuckle spindle and, a new bearing is only about $30 - but you'll need a local garage to press them in & out for you (say $10), plus a new lock nut.

thank you again

Hey guys once again thank you for the help. The spindle was fine but the hub was seized to the bearing. I went down to the local U-PULL-IT Yard and removed the whole spindle off a 95 LX. It was a little cold here in buffalo but I got the job done.

paully93sc said:
Hey guys once again thank you for the help. The spindle was fine but the hub was seized to the bearing. I went down to the local U-PULL-IT Yard and removed the whole spindle off a 95 LX. It was a little cold here in buffalo but I got the job done.

HEY PAULLY- JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, IM HERE IN BUFFALO IF YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE OR A HAND WITH ANYTHING.

just for future reference and im sure this is somewhere else on this site, if you get your old bearing out anyway. freeze the new bearing and stick the spindle in the oven for while. my last 3 or 4 have just fallen in doing this. before that i was ruining bearings trying to get them pressed in right. lotta work and the inner is 2 piece when the outer is one piece so its tricky

Back