NHRA RULE CHANGES FOR 2006 (pay attention nitrous guys)

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
NHRA RULE CHANGES FOR 2006
Protective Clothing Changes
The Protective Clothing of the E.T. section of the NHRA Rulebook states which jacket and/or pants are needed for 10.00 and slower and 9.99 and quicker.
Supercharged, turbocharged, or nitous-equiped cars, with or without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall. Please review the Protective Clothing sections, Section 1A – Superpro, Pro, Sportsman and Section 1B – Advanced E.T. of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

Section 1-A, located on page 24 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook read as follows:
10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) and slower; all E.T. non-OEM supercharged, non-OEM turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars with an OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory

10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) and slower; all E.T. supercharged, turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1 mandatory.

10.00 (*6.40 1/8 mile) to 11.49 (*7.35 1/8 mile): Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory.

The same Spec for Advanced E.T. is located in Section 1B, located on page #27 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

What’s Needed At 135 mph?
For 2006, the Rulebook clarifies that any vehicle that runs faster than 135 mph must meet minimum requirements for 9.99 –seconds. In year’s past, this 9.99 and/or 135 mph break was not clearly defined in the e.t. section of the rulebook, leading to some confusion.
The minimum requirements for any vehicle that runs 9.99 or runs faster than 135 mph includes an NHRA chassis certification, NHRA competition license, and upgraded safety equipment (neck collar, jacket and pants, and gloves).
Further details about the 9.99 requirements may be found in Section 1A – Super Pro, Pro, Sportsman section of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook, beginning on page #18.

Computers
During NHRA competition, no portable computer (e.g., laptop, PDA, Palm Pilot, programmer, ect.) may be used or located in a vehicle at any point beyond the staging area ready line. All functions or values must be pre-set prior to this point. This includes Grudge Race and Time Trial runs.
Page #224 of the 2006 NHRA Rulebook.

So anyone with nitrous save up, you'll need a fire jacket to run this year.

So anyone with nitrous save up, you'll need a fire jacket to run this year.

Kurt,

I guess I missed the part about needing the fire jacket. If I read that correctly, I'll also need a jacket to race the turbo car, no matter what speed or ET. I've got a jacket, just need to make sure the SFI spec is correct and that the dated tags haven't expired.

There are also new rules pertaining to the nitrous bottle mounting brackets. They will no longer allow the use of nylon or plastic bottle mounting brackets (like I have), starting in 2006 they must be made of metal.

David

David Neibert said:
Kurt,

I guess I missed the part about needing the fire jacket. If I read that correctly, I'll also need a jacket to race the turbo car, no matter what speed or ET.

David

That's true David. But most of us aren't running turbos. I wonder if the non-OEM AR will be a need for a jacket too. I'm sure it will to the tech guys (errr, jack@$$es) at Gateway.

Oh yeah, better hope you don't break out of 135mph

The minimum requirements for any vehicle that runs 9.99 or runs faster than 135 mph includes an NHRA chassis certification, NHRA competition license, and upgraded safety equipment (neck collar, jacket and pants, and gloves).

The computer thing is bad for me.....Does this mean that it's a violation of their safety rules to have my laptop or PDA in the car logging data?

I dont think I'm reading it right but it looks like we might all need the jacket
Since it say all Supercharged, turbocharged, or nitous-equiped cars, with or without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall.

anyone read it like I did?

Jason Wild said:
I dont think I'm reading it right but it looks like we might all need the jacket
Since it say all Supercharged, turbocharged, or nitous-equiped cars, with or without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall.

anyone read it like I did?

"non-OEM supercharged, non-OEM turbocharged" ie if your factory supercharged you no need to worry but if you have an aftermarket supercharger with a rear OEM .024 firewall youll need -- Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1

if you have any power adder without a OEM firewall or the .024 firewall you need --- SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1

I think.

Hmmm......
I have a Mustang with a M90.
It never came with one, does that make me OEM supercharged or non-OEM supercharged. :rolleyes:

Roadhawg said:
Hmmm......
I have a Mustang with a M90.
It never came with one, does that make me OEM supercharged or non-OEM supercharged. :rolleyes:
I think it means you better buy a jacket.

VicRattlehead said:
"non-OEM supercharged, non-OEM turbocharged" ie if your factory supercharged you no need to worry but if you have an aftermarket supercharger with a rear OEM .024 firewall youll need -- Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1

if you have any power adder without a OEM firewall or the .024 firewall you need --- SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1

I think.
Is that factory "supercharged" or factory "supercharger" ??? Big difference.

Ira

1FASTSC said:
The computer thing is bad for me.....Does this mean that it's a violation of their safety rules to have my laptop or PDA in the car logging data?
That has never been legal. They don't want anything in your car that has the potential for distraction at any point.

If you have it mounted where you can't touch it during a run with it closed then I don't think they would get on you about it.

I have emailed NHRA today to ask about the fire jacket rule. I was talking to someother drag raceing guys and there way of looking at it was the same way.
That NHRA is say even with OEM superchargers your going to need it. all it says is about OEM firewalls.

I will post back when I hear back

Jason Wild said:
I have emailed NHRA today to ask about the fire jacket rule. I was talking to someother drag raceing guys and there way of looking at it was the same way.
That NHRA is say even with OEM superchargers your going to need it. all it says is about OEM firewalls.

I will post back when I hear back

What did you hear back?

Fine. Then let them look at my engine and tell me it's not the OEM supercharge. Like they would even know!

Ira

Last edited:
irar said:
Fine. Then let the look at my engine and tell me it's not the OEM supercharge. Like they would even know!

Ira
Our local tech guys know that Neibert's AR isn't stock. Of course they are just looking for excuses to kick him out.

Kurt K said:
Of course they are just looking for excuses to kick him out.

"Tiny" over there seems to want to kick everyone out. I still want him to show me where in the NHRA rulebook it says that my front wheels are a violation.

-Rod

Back