Lower Engine Cradle Brace Install?

JROD

Getting Ready To Have Several Things Installed Including A Kenny Brown Lower Engine Cradle Brace And Need Info On Installing. Any Input And Tips Would Be Appreciated Or A How To Link Would Be Great!? Thanks.

If you have aftermarket downtubes, you might have some clearance issues. I tried installing the LECB years ago, but my exhaust was in the way and I didn't want to re-do my exhaust. I ended up selling the braces.

I just installed mine this weekend except for getting it welded to the frame. It took me less than 30 mins. It fit very nicely and did not interfere with my down tubes. I have plenty of clearance on mine but some cars may indeed have a problem here.

Weld where?

What spot(s) do I need to weld to the frame? Does anyone have pics or a good link for how-to? Do I have to weld in order for them to work? Forgive my ignorance as I have no real idea how the LECB works. Thanks.

JROD said:
What spot(s) do I need to weld to the frame? Does anyone have pics or a good link for how-to? Do I have to weld in order for them to work? Forgive my ignorance as I have no real idea how the LECB works. Thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, but if you have no real idea how the LECB works....why did you buy it ?

David

Because It Came As A Package Deal With The Front Strut Tower Brace And Ive Heard That It Is Relatively Easy To Install!

If you don't drag race your SC it probably doesn't need it. If your firewall is cracking you probably do. It connects the front crossmember to the frame rails on either side. I've got mine down off of the jackstands now so I can't take a foto. On the front crossmember where the lower control arm attaches there is a nickel size hole. A nut plate slides in on the top side directly below the end of the lower control arm. The front flat portion of the LECB bolts up to that and the bar goes directly back. There are 2 flat steel tabs (they're wrapped in plastic) that bolt up to the holes at the back and angle up to the frame where they get welded. Rick supplies some directions with a photocopy of them in place. The photocopy isn't real good but if you get underneath and take a look, it'll all fall into place.
If you've got a MP 85mm throttle body you'll have some fitting problems with the STB. With a 70mm or stock it bolts right up. I've worked out an easy fix using 1/4" spacers that take care of the problem due to the 85mm's larger size.

Before the welding is to be done, is it recommended to remove any of the electronics - i.e. ECU &audio units, to prtect them against power surge damage?

u just unplug the battery from all terminals. just take the battery out and u should be fine... ive welded my exhaust without my battery and everything is okay.....

Back