audio ???

93 Tbird

if the stock amps are no good can u replace them with another one or is it worth just upgrading them with something eles?

that all depends on how loud you want it. the stock stuff was awesome 15 years ago. myself i would upgrade only because i like it loud....very loud....like my subs can mess up your hair loud:)

Replace vs. Upgrade

93 Tbird said:
if the stock amps are no good can u replace them with another one or is it worth just upgrading them with something eles?
I by-passed the OEM 4-ch JBL amp with a high power 4-ch Kenwood amp. There was nothing "wrong" with the OEM amp, it just ran out of power when playing Billy Idol. I kept the JBL sub amp & enclosure, but upgraded to a JL driver. It wasn't to difficult, B-U-T i had the complete Ford wireing diagram for my car.

Also there is a difference between '89 - '92(?) and '93(?) - '95 audio systems. If I remember correctly, the diff. is that the early systems had high level outputs to the amp & the later systems had low level outputs to the amps. Some of the young audio-types will probably have more information on this.

68COUGAR

ive looked in my trunk

of my 90 SC nothing in there. what looks like two seperate computers, and no woofers or amps. i see a place under the rear deck where you could mount some subs, guess ill have to run an amp from the deck (aftermarket) to a few subs.

yea i got a 93 sc and i got no music the lights go on when the head lights arre on but thats it dont no what to do.

jbl.gif

premium sound.gifhere is the description of operation for the jbl system, premium sound, and standard am/fm. if you dont have a sub then you probably have premium sound. is your amp in the trunk black or silver? black is jbl and silver is premium. ill attach both circuits

DESCRIPTION
The JBL sound system features a Radio with a cassette deck and a four-channel amplifier, an optional CD Player, and a Subwoofer Amplifier and Speaker.

OPERATION
With the Ignition Switch in "ACC" or "RUN", voltage is applied through the RADIO Fuse and the 137 (Y/BK) wires to operate the Radio.

The MEMORY Fuse applies voltage to the Radio at all times through the 797 (LG/P) wires to power the memory-relayed functions, which retain the memory portions with the Radio and Ignition turned off.

Panel dimming is controlled by the instrument panel dimming switch. A variable voltage is applied through the 19 (LB/R) wire to control the panel lamps' brightness.

The display's brightness is controlled by the Main Light Switch. When the park lamps are turned on, battery voltage is applied to the Radio through the 484 (O/BK) wire, and the display dims. When the park lamps are turned off, voltage is no longer applied to the Radio, and the display brightens.

Voltage is applied to the Amplifier through the 37 (Y) wire. The Amplifier is grounded through the Radio and 694 (R) wire. The Radio provides an audio signal for each channel through the 277 (LB/PK), 278 (P/W), 279 (W/R) and 280 (LG) wires. The Amplifier processes the audio signal provided by the Radio and supplies the audio output to each Speaker.

The Radio Fuse applies voltage to the Antenna Switch through the 137 (Y/BK) wires when the Ignition Switch is in "ACC" or "RUN". Moving the Antenna Switch to "UP" applies power to the 745 (R/PK) terminal of the Power Antenna and ground to the 746 (DG/Y) terminal. With the Antenna Switch in the "DOWN" position, the 745 (R/PK) wire is grounded and the 746 (DG/Y) wire is powered. In either case, the motor runs in the appropriate direction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION
The Premium Sound System features a Radio with a cassette deck and an Amplifier.

OPERATION
With the Ignition Switch in "ACC" or "RUN", voltage is applied through the RADIO Fuse and the 137 (Y/BK) wires to operate the Radio.

The MEMORY Fuse applies voltage to the Radio at all times through the 797 (LG/P) wires to power the memory-relayed functions, which retain the memory portions with the Radio and Ignition turned off.

Panel dimming is controlled by the instrument panel dimming switch. A variable voltage is applied through the 19 (LB/R) wire to control the panel lamps' brightness.

The display's brightness is controlled by the Main Light Switch. When the park lamps are turned on, battery voltage is applied to the Radio through the 484 (O/BK) wire, and the display dims. When the park lamps are turned off, voltage is no longer applied to the Radio, and the display brightens.

Voltage is applied to the Amplifier through the 37 (Y) wire. The Amplifier is grounded through the Radio and 694 (R) wire. The Radio provides an audio signal for each channel through the 277 (LB/PK), 278 (P/W), 279 (W/R) and 280 (LG) wires. The Amplifier processes the audio signal provided by the Radio and supplies the audio output to each Speaker.

The Radio Fuse applies voltage to the Antenna Switch through the 137 (Y/BK) wires when the Ignition Switch is in "ACC" or "RUN". Moving the Antenna Switch to "UP" applies power to the 745 (R/PK) terminal of the Power Antenna and ground to the 746 (DG/Y) terminal. With the Antenna Switch in the "DOWN" position, the 745 (R/PK) wire is grounded and the 746 (DG/Y) wire is powered. In either case, the motor runs in the appropriate direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
OPERATION

The Radio Fuse applies voltage to the Antenna Switch through the 137 (Y/BK) wires when the Ignition Switch is in "ACC" or "RUN". Moving the Antenna Switch to "UP" applies power to the 745 (R/PK) terminal of the Power Antenna and ground to the 746 (DG/Y) terminal. With the Antenna Switch in the "DOWN" position, the 745 (R/PK) wire is grounded and the 746 (DG/Y) wire is powered. In either case, the motor runs in the appropriate direction

if you do not have the subwoofer the cheapest thing to do is bypass the amps and put in an aftermarket deck. if your deck lights up but there is no sound, 90% of the time it is the radio. i would go to circiut city and get free install, they will charge you about 25 bucks on top of your radio you pick out, and if your amps still dont work, you can bypass the amp with a plug for an additional $18 or so and that leves you a big stepping stone to upgrade from there. high powered amps, subs, etc. it all starts at your radio so i always recommend investing a good amount of money in your deck. look for 4volts preouts, a 24bit da converter, front rear sub preouts, and a decent range of eq controls and it is pretty easy to make thunderbirds sound good. sorry about the circuit city plug i am the asst. mgr in the car audio dept. but it really hard to find a better deal anywhere else.

Back