Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rotor pack/gear plate swap how to...

It does go on the green side for the stock coupler.

Here's some solid couplers: http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...rclo=&saprchi=
    1994 SC
    4.5L Twin Turbo SVO
    Project GTFD

Quote Originally Posted by CMac89
    It does go on the green side for the stock coupler.

Here's some solid couplers: http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...rclo=&saprchi=

Do people increase the likelihood of breaking the gear pins (not teeth) when they switch to solid couplers (no give)? I'm referring to an MPII with 15-20% OD.
    Last edited by pablon2; 02-26-2006 at 05:07 PM.
    It's only impossible until we do it.

20-year SC owner - '93 SC AOD (non-locking TC). Same car, same original paint!
    Current setup: 12.550 @ 111.09, 1.917 60ft, No nitrous.

I've never heard of anyone having problems. The coupler just pulls off, you may need to put a screwdriver behind it and pry it a bit but it should just come right off.

How are you overdriveing your blower? with the GTP rotor swap I had to stick to the %3 underdrive cause of bad belt slip (new belts).

Quote Originally Posted by Tickler
    How are you overdriveing your blower? with the GTP rotor swap I had to stick to the %3 underdrive cause of bad belt slip (new belts).

10% JS OD and 5% SC pulley OD.

Quote Originally Posted by pablon2
    Do people increase the likelihood of breaking the gear pins (not teeth) when they switch to solid couplers (no give)? I'm referring to an MPII with 15-20% OD.
    No, i've never heard of it.
    1994 SC
    4.5L Twin Turbo SVO
    Project GTFD

Project Closure

Here's a little closure to this thread for those that come across this thread when searching for info on rotor pack swapping. I finally finished the swap. I say finally, b/c when I got into my SC I realized that I should replace the coupler. I was moved to do this b/c the gearshaft had wear grooves in it from the spring in the OEM coupler. After some research, I opted to install the moly-filled coupler from 'Texasthunderbirds.com' (thanks again Wynn!). Attached are a few pics. The red sealant on the flange is anerobic gasket maker Permatex item #51813 (replaces Loctite 518). Flange bolts torqued to 25 ft/lbs. Thanks to all who helped make this project a success. Rotor pack looks and feels (no play) great.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Its cool to use anti sieze on those right?

Quote Originally Posted by sizemoremk
    Its cool to use anti sieze on those right?
    I imagine you could, but I was able to screw the bolts in by hand each time and noticed no material in the threads from galling, so I didn't use any.

Well the one I took apart was a real witch!

I'm pretty sure I broke a cheapie 1/4" socket wrench, if I'm thinking back correctly...

For that matter, I broke a cheapie autozone puller trying to get the pulley off the SC...

Quote Originally Posted by sizemoremk
    Well the one I took apart was a real witch!

I'm pretty sure I broke a cheapie 1/4" socket wrench, if I'm thinking back correctly...

For that matter, I broke a cheapie autozone puller trying to get the pulley off the SC...
    Call you 'King Of Pain'

I want one of the couplers....

Quote Originally Posted by pablon2
    Here's a little closure to this thread for those that come across this thread when searching for info on rotor pack swapping. I finally finished the swap. I say finally, b/c when I got into my SC I realized that I should replace the coupler. I was moved to do this b/c the gearshaft had wear grooves in it from the spring in the OEM coupler. After some research, I opted to install the moly-filled coupler from 'Texasthunderbirds.com' (thanks again Wynn!). Attached are a few pics. The red sealant on the flange is anerobic gasket maker Permatex item #51813 (replaces Loctite 518). Flange bolts torqued to 25 ft/lbs. Thanks to all who helped make this project a success. Rotor pack looks and feels (no play) great.

Does Wynn still have an e-mail address or phone number to order this item. Any help appreicated.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by lube70
    Does Wynn still have an e-mail address or phone number to order this item. Any help appreicated.

Don
    Look in Section 3 (Supercharger Parts). Contact info on website.
    http://www.texasthunderbirds.com/