Help stranded SC

Chrismiss

Help...my power steering pump seized up and shredded my belt. Can I buy a shorter belt and bypass the PS pump to get my car home? If so what size? Thanks for the help.

Yes you can get a shorter belt. I used to do that at the track to improve my ETS. Get a piece of string or a tape measure and wrap around all the accesories including the tensioner (have someone hold it back in the retracted position) to get a measurement. More than likely you will have to get a 6rib belt instead of the original 8rib. It will be fine for a short trip home. I would go check to see what I used to use but I don't have one here anymore.

Chris

sizemoremk said:
So is there a noticable decrease in ET with the belt removed?

I cant recall the actual improvement, but how much HP do you think the Power Steering Pulley and Pump ROB at 6000RPM?

Chris

Wzenheimer said:
I cant recall the actual improvement, but how much HP do you think the Power Steering Pulley and Pump ROB at 6000RPM?

Chris

I'd guess around 13.7453 HP:D

I was just curious if it was noticable, like if it was worth a 10th of a sec, or what...

sizemoremk said:
I'd guess around 13.7453 HP:D

I was just curious if it was noticable, like if it was worth a 10th of a sec, or what...

You could probably seen that much of a gain on a midly modified car. Mine I was probably lucky to get .03 or so, but it all adds up in the end.

Chris

Something to keep in mind.

I believe you have to drain the cooling system and remove the lower radiator hose to change the main drive belt even if you get a shorter belt to eliminate the PS pump.

Ed Springer

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Accel 36# injectors, Scorpian 1.73 Rockers, ARP Head Studs, 190 l/h fuel pump, Raised SC Top, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76 C&L MAF (Gold Tube), MSD DIS-4 + Ignition Box, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Pro-Torque 2500 TC, Tokico Struts & Shocks, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants, Optima Yellow Top Battery, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, COMMANDO Alarm and Remote Starter and Autometer A/F Ratio and Transmission Oil Temperature Gauges.

Yeah you have to take the lower hose off to get it on there. I didnt have to drain mine but quite a bit came out. Just keep the hose up high and expect spillage. Youre just trying to get it home

I had always thought that a cool mod would be to have some kind of clutch or pully that would loosen the main belt at WOT. A lot less drag if you know what I mean. Only for 11 seconds can`t be bad unless the belt flips off and get caught in the jackshaft belt:eek:

Back