NEW CV Drive Axles for your SC

DNA

Just finished a deal with an Anaheim, Calif. manufacturer to produce new CV drive axles for the 8.8 IRS Super Coupe models.

These axles are produced in an ISO 9002 certified factory using CNC machining equipment.
All axles are 100% new components; absolutely no reused parts.
These axles will meet or exceed O.E. Specifications
All axles are pre-tested at the factory for vibration and balance.
New ABS rings are included
All parts are precision heat treated
100% Neoprene Boots
Stainless Steel Boot Clamps Air Tool installed
All joints are packed with Moly grease
Precision Rolled Splines and Threads
New Spindle Nuts are included

I have five sets now to install and try out on the SC project cars we currently have here in Orange county and Sacramento.

I am resizing pictures of the axles if you want to see the details.
I will post them as soon as they are done.
They are very nice looking parts.

If you are interested in a set of "new" precision axles for your bird, let me know. I am trying to put an order for at least five more sets on the assembly line. The price should be about 380.00 per pair plus UPS shipping.

Last edited:
re: new CV drive axles

I have never seen the specifications on the original axle assembly. I do know they were by produced by GKN for Ford.

Considering 2006 CNC technology is being used to produce these assemblies in a ISO 9002 certified manufacturing plant, I would say the answer is yes.
Compared to what was available in 1989, I'd say we have a pretty decent product. I have photos to post once I resize them, so you all can have a look.

sizemoremk said:
So are these superior to the stockers?

So these have not been tested on a SC yet?

I would be interested to know if they would stand up to the abuse of a fairly modded SC given the problems with folks breaking axles I read about at the SC shootout... I am not sure who does the Raxles, or how they are manufactured, but those were suppose to be good ones also, but those were broken just as many stockers were.

Are any of the SC you intend to test them on moderate-highly modified?

The price semes pretty good if these can stand up to some abuse.

re: new CV drive axles

This is a new product. Production just started late last year and distributorships are just now being setup. The product line's main purpose is fill the great gap in availability of new drive axles.

The market is currently flooded with 'junk' remanufactured axles, like those at Kragen, Autozone, NAPA, and CarQuest. Most of these part houses stock A1-Cardone remanufactured axles. Reground inner joints with oversize joint ends to attempt to get a zero backlash fit? Good luck, if you buy any of these.

As your question was phrased, we are just putting these into use this month.
These are intended to be a new replacement part, just as you would expect from the Ford dealership, if you took your SC there for axle service. Be aware, the dealerships have "NO" inventory of new axles. You will get remanufactured assemblies even from Ford, and Ford does not make them. The parts manager declined to comment on the source for these, but did say they are not Ford parts. Check for yourself, if you like. If you hear differently, let me know.

These are not "hardcore" racing axles and shouldn't be used as such. But if you wish to spend $800 to $1000 for a pair of racing axles with 300M center shafts and titanium outer cages, check with Rockford CV.

http://www.rcvperformance.com/products.html

They have some killer products that easily handle 1000 RWHP. That's about a dollar per HP, eh?

I think it would be a safe wager that the 0-400 HP cars will do just fine.

I will gather some info on the metallurgy involved in the cages and center shafts, just to add technical insight to the products. -dave
---------------------------------------------

sizemoremk said:
So these have not been tested on a SC yet?

I would be interested to know if they would stand up to the abuse of a fairly modded SC given the problems with folks breaking axles I read about at the SC shootout... I am not sure who does the Raxles, or how they are manufactured, but those were suppose to be good ones also, but those were broken just as many stockers were.

Are any of the SC you intend to test them on moderate-highly modified?

The price semes pretty good if these can stand up to some abuse.

Sounds good a quality factory replacement part should be in demand. I may be interested in a few months.

Just keep in mind that on our cars, a machine putting out 400rwhp is dumping a good 440+ ft/lbs of torque to the rear at that time as well. And the 5 speed cars on drag slicks are shock loading things enough that a few trans output shafts have broken.

On SC's almost exclusively it is the hub that breaks. Any idea if those might be made and sold seperate?

re: axles hubs

XR7 Dave said:
On SC's almost exclusively it is the hub that breaks. Any idea if those might be made and sold seperate?

You are referring to the splined assembly that mates with the outer CV joint and holds the rear wheel bearing, yes?

Since many car builders are utilizing the Mustang/Cobra hubs to gain the 5 x 4.25 wheel bolt patterns, is there a measurable number of broken hubs coming from the Mustang/Cobra parts shelf?

I can't answer that off the top of my head, but it deserves some research.

DNA said:
You are referring to the splined assembly that mates with the outer CV joint and holds the rear wheel bearing, yes?

Since many car builders are utilizing the Mustang/Cobra hubs to gain the 5 x 4.25 wheel bolt patterns, is there a measurable number of broken hubs coming from the Mustang/Cobra parts shelf?

I can't answer that off the top of my head, but it deserves some research.

Mustang/Cobra hubs are 5x4.5, T-Birds are 5x4.25.

Yes, I am refering to the splined part that mates the hub.

I'm not sure what you mean where the broken hubs are coming from. We are breaking the OE axles left and right, but it's not the axles at all that are breaking, it's the hubs. They shear off right at the base of the splines.

Other than the bolt pattern the hubs are identical and so the CV joint/splined section are the same between Mustangs and T-Birds. However, the axles are a different length so the rest of the assembly can't be used.

I was just wondering if the outer CV joint / hub section would be available because that is what SC people need. I've never seen an actual axle broken before.

If the new parts are of better quality than any OE part, then I would be quite happy to get a pair even with the understanding that they may not be "1000HP capable". As long as they are stronger than the output shaft of my transmission I have nothing to worry about. :)

Yep, I have snapped a couple right at that point myself. That is where we need the extra strength.

XR7 Dave said:

I'm not sure what you mean where the broken hubs are coming from. We are breaking the OE axles left and right, but it's not the axles at all that are breaking, it's the hubs. They shear off right at the base of the splines.

Other than the bolt pattern the hubs are identical and so the CV joint/splined section are the same between Mustangs and T-Birds. However, the axles are a different length so the rest of the assembly can't be used.

I was just wondering if the outer CV joint / hub section would be available because that is what SC people need. I've never seen an actual axle broken before.

If the new parts are of better quality than any OE part, then I would be quite happy to get a pair even with the understanding that they may not be "1000HP capable". As long as they are stronger than the output shaft of my transmission I have nothing to worry about. :)

I got the Mustang and TBird numbers reversed, my error.

You say, the outer CV joint is breaking where the hub splines and the cage housing come together. Sorry, I was used to different terminology. .You're right, the axle [or center shaft] does not break often... .I don't know if you can purchase the outer CV joint assembly by itself; a great question to ask at the factory next visit....... the hi-perf outer joints [like the ones Rockford produces] have a forged 4130 chrome-moly construction. But they are over $200 each....that's why the axles are $500+ a piece. I will find out more about the yield strength of these parts also. I know they are tested to the point of breakage. Let's see if they will share those test numbers.

Some of us may just have to buy the "bullet-proof" axles from Rockford....then you can watch the driveshaft become a 'pretzel'

re: broken outer CV joint housings

I was asking if the Mustang crowd is having the same problems with the splines breaking on the outer CV joint housings. Seems their stock parts were made with tougher materials.

XR7 Dave said:

DNA said:
But if you wish to spend $800 to $1000 for a pair of racing axles with 300M center shafts and titanium outer cages, check with Rockford CV.

http://www.rcvperformance.com/products.html

They have some killer products that easily handle 1000 RWHP. That's about a dollar per HP, eh?

I think it would be a safe wager that the 0-400 HP cars will do just fine.

I will gather some info on the metallurgy involved in the cages and center shafts, just to add technical insight to the products. -dave
---------------------------------------------

Do you know of anyone what has had some of the Rockford CV's made specifically for a Supercoupe? Or would it be a new build # for them?

Chris

re: Cr-Mo CV joints

Chris --

Working on getting a 4340 Cr-Mo outer CV joint for the SC axle assembly.
The replica cars using the MN12 IRS setup have such a part, if the cage splines are the same as the SC center shaft, we'll have a solution; but you're gonna be looking at nearly $200 per joint.

Wzenheimer said:
Do you know of anyone what has had some of the Rockford CV's made specifically for a Supercoupe? Or would it be a new build # for them?

Chris

$800 isn't bad considering now the weak link will be U-joints $25 max for both. Thanks for the info let me know what you find out.

Chris

DNA said:
Chris --

Working on getting a 4340 Cr-Mo outer CV joint for the SC axle assembly.
The replica cars using the MN12 IRS setup have such a part, if the cage splines are the same as the SC center shaft, we'll have a solution; but you're gonna be looking at nearly $200 per joint.

Actually that's $400 for both outers. I don't think there is a problem with SC shafts or inner joints.

That is really what I'm looking for. If they can do this $200/joint is cheap really.

Last edited:
Back