Supercharger not working

EDHUNT14

For what reasons would a supercharger not put out any boost?
My gauge reads 20 on the vac side when driving, but only gets about up to zero when I boot it. I know its not getting boost, because I have another SC that does get boost. I checked the valve in the back of the supercharger and it is opening and closing at the right time. Would vacuum leaks cause no boost?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Ed

This seems kinda obvious- but we've all missed obvious things at some point so - is your sc belt still intact?

boost

Yes, It's a new belt.
I don't mind obvious answers at all, I miss a lot of things. Thanks for the reply.
Ed

How do you know that the bypass is closing? If you don't know for sure, disconnect the vacuum line that goes to the actuator, and plug the line (so you don't have a vacuum leak) Then drive it and see if it goes into boost. It might be sticking.

Does your gauge set at 0 when the engine is off?
You can have boost leaks that don't give you any problems under vacuum but I doubt it could ever leak that much not to show up on the gauge.
Does it feel down on power?

Jeff

boost

I had someone start and accelerate and stop the car for the valve, it does open and close. The gauge does go to zero when it is off. It doesn't have half the power of my other SC.
Ed

Do you have any noise from the supercharger at all or in the past?

Remove the upper belt and turn the SC by hand.

Jeff

wow

i have like 23-24 psi it could be your supercharger head gaset sealer bolts with the steel washers around it to in close the gap correctly.. good luck

just to make sure you have the belt on that runs the pulley that runs the sc right? by this i mean do you have all three belts on? i know that you know better but thats the only thing besides the coupler in the blower, even with 3-5 vacuum leaks youll still get boost

When's the last time you checked/topped off the SC fluid? The supercharger on my '89 did this same thing when It decided to take a permanent vacation (not to jinx you or anything). Good luck.

tested

well i disconected the air bypass vacuum hose and the car felt faster and i could hear a whine but still didnt register any boost and my brakes sucked big time how do i know if the supercharger is gone

Back