Looking at 1995 SC 5speed

fcg310

Hi everyone. I have a couple of quick questions. I am looking into buying a 1995 Sc 5 speed. The car has 65,200 original miles on it . The man that owns it is the original owner. The interior and exterior are in perfect condition and i mean not one flaw. Now for the problems that i found 1. I took it for a ride and i noticed the car did not have a comfortable ride kind of hard hitting .2. When i applied the brakes i noticed the car started to wobble. Maybe warped rotors or even worse bad master cylinder? .3. The good old smell of antifreeze i looked around the whole motor and only found that the top of the water pump was wet and behind it like it dripped onto the intake manifold, are they known for going? 4. The powering sterring pump sounded very loud like that whining noise , I owned a 1993 lx 5.0 and i know that the ford pumps are loud, but this sounded louder than usual. The car has alot of power its shifts beautiful, clutch is nice, not blowing any type of smoke out the tailpipes. The enigine is very clean. The man changed the oil ever 2500 miles. Forgot to mention the whole car it original no mods except 17 inch rims. the car it fully loaded leather, moonroof everything. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you MARK

Well lets see it was only like one of 577 made that year which is the most rare SC. Brakes I would say rotors. Leaking antifreeze could be a heater core but its the carpets dry on the pass side sounds like a simple water pump relacement. Power steering pumps whine when there low on fluid or going bad. Not to bad to replace. Did you have the ride control set to firm? that will make the ride real stiff. Depending on price it sounds like a nice car and with low miles sounds real good. Im sure you know about the head gaskets on the motors but I have found when the antifreeze has been changed on a regular basis you can get a lot more life out of them. Sounds real good to me. I would buy it if the price was right;)
Oh I forgot to warn you that SC`s can be addictive.

Last edited:
Hey Mark, that price is a little on the high side but with the low miles clean body 6k is a good price but keep in mind its still a 11 year old car and its going to need a few parts. Nice name, Mark J.

Was the car garaged most of its life? I'd check the clearcoat real close on the roof, rear pillars, trunk lid and top of rear bumber. I couldn't tell mine was going bad by looking at it, but could feel the rough spots when I'd wash it. The coolant problem sounds like either the water pump or one of the small coolant hoses above and to the left of the pump leaking. Other than that, sounds like a great find, price is a bit steep, don't think I'd pay over 6k either.

The man said he had a garage at his old house and it used to stay in there, the paint looks very good i do not see any flaws. I live in New York and i know these cars are hard to find around here especially one thats seems to be as in good condition as this. I told the guy i would not givehim over 6 grand so if he doent except i will keep on looking. Thanx guys

fcg310 said:
The man said he had a garage at his old house and it used to stay in there, the paint looks very good i do not see any flaws. I live in New York and i know these cars are hard to find around here especially one thats seems to be as in good condition as this. I told the guy i would not givehim over 6 grand so if he doent except i will keep on looking. Thanx guys

If you take a pass on this one, let me know, and send me the seller's contact info via P/M. I'm looking for a low-mileage '95 5-speed.

Thanks,

JD

I just picked up a 95 5 speed in January. Mine has all the options including moonroof. It also has 17" chrome Cobra R rims and a cowl hood. 90K miles on it, and the paint shines like a new car. I picked it up for $4K. You will not be disappointed with this car. I have owned an early model SC as well, and this one is a nicer car than what I used to have.

Coolant--if you see leakage near the water pump, then there's your culprit--just keep in mind that the SC runs hotter than many cars, so you will want to address that issue quickly. Simply because of the car's age, I recommend all the basics, like new belts and hoses, unless they were done recently by the previous owner. It's cheap and if one goes out, you will get stuck. Better to do it now.

PS Pumps seem to be a fairly common thing on these. I have never had to replace one on either of my cars, but it is not a hard job anyways.

If you feel the handling is stiff, then it is probably just the fact that you are not use dot the car. The SC is a little stiffer than the average car, and I dont know what you have on there for tires either. I have 255/45/17's on mine, and the 45 sidewall is about as low as I would go. Mine is a fairly stiff car for driving around everyday, but I prefer it that way. If there is some other concern, like a clunking noise, or if it feels sloppy, then it is time to check out your suspension. A clunking noise up front usually, but not always, means that your sway bar end links are bad. They are an easy swap--I just did mine last month.

Brakes are most likely just the rotors need to be turned.

Before you buy it, I would take it to your mechanic and have him check it out. even if he is not familiar with the SC, most things, like the suspension and brakes, he would still be able to look at and give you an idea of what it needs. But yeah, the price is a bit on the high side, even for the low miles.

There were 574 of these made in 1995 with the stick. Good luck. I love mine--I flew up to Michigan and drove it back to Louisiana, and I drive it basically anywhere. It is going to Texas in a couple weeks...

Back