SHO question! LONG! should I get this car?

Bacondoggy

I am looking for advice for this vehicle, and how much I should pay for it. it is a silver 93 with 161k on it this was his description:

You are bidding on a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2 V6 automatic. This car is not one of mine, but is a friend of mine's that askd me to list it. She was the 2nd owner of the car. I have done some service on the car in the past. I have it, but she told me she would hate to see me part it out. And I get a lot of requests not to part out SHO's. Sometimes you have to kill a few to save many, besides most of the cars I get are already gone. This one is not, but does need a little help.

She drove the car up to a month ago. The car has 161,053 miles on it. It is do for a tune up. The valve covers are leaking and fouling out the plugs and causing the car to smoke a little. The water pump bearing is loose and making noise.

The interior is in descent shape. It has all the options, like both power seats, power steering, am/fm radio, JBL premium sound system (amps and subwoofer), 6 disc cd changer, sunroof, etc.

The body is also in descent shape. The rear passnger side door has some damage to it. Something hit it, but did not scratch it up. I have a new door for it, if you would need or want it. Otherwise in good shape for it's age.

So if it were my car, just serve it and drive it. It should have a new water pump, belts, hoses, valve gaskets, plug and wires done to it. I think this car will make a good car to someone that will give it the attention that it needs. Here is your chance to get a car that runs and drives at a good price. Especially, a silver SHO is hard to come by. I have a lot of the parts for the car, they are used though, if you are interested. The car should be trailered or hauled, just because of the valve covers leaking.

A deposit will be do within 24 hours of $300.00. The car must be picked up within 7 days, unless prior arrangements are made. Towing is available to surrounder areas for a fee. Any questions, please let me know. If you would like to know more about the car I can give you my number and you could call me.

I then asked him this:
Q: if the valve covers are leaking, why dont you just pull off the intake and fix that? because it sounds like the head gasket could be blown, and that is a much more in-depth job then tightening a few bolts... Mar-25-06
A: THIS CAR IS NOT MY CAR I AM SELLING IT FOR THE LADY THAT OWNS IT. SHE HAS ALREADY BOUGHT A NEW CAR AND DOESN'T WANT TO FIX IT. THE VALVE COVERS ARE THE PROBLEM. IF YOU PULL THE PLUG WIRE OUT OF IT, IT IS COVERED IN OIL. THIS FOULS OUT THE PLUG AND MAKES THE CAR RUN BAD. YES I CAN PUT THEM ON AND I CAN PUT THE WATER PUMP ON BUT THERE WILL BE AN INCREASE IN FEES. IF YOU WANT TO INCUR THE EXTRA EXPENSE THAT IS UP TO YOU.

then I asked him this but he did not respond yet.

Would it be ok to drive it to York, PA? I think its about an hour maybe alittle more away. you say it is the valve covers, but are you SURE? Oil fouling out the plugs could be anything from a hole in the piston, a bad ring, a cracked head. a bad (worn or cracked) valve guide, if its on all the plugs it could very well be a bad ring. How much are you charging to put 6 plugs in the car and "tighten" the valve covers??? What is your reserve? Did you do a compression test on the cylinders? I dont see how you can say its just the valve covers when there could be so many more things causing the oil leak(s). What parts do you have for the vehicle? the door, the water pump, and valve cover gaskets? Is any one included in the purchase of the vehicle? how much for each part, and how much for the instalation to fix the oil leak?

so how much should I pay for this? do you guys think there is something else wrong besides the "valve covers"??? Thanks alot for anyone who took the time to read this!

Be weary of second hand sales people, but have it verified. I know plenty of people that want me to sell ~~~~ on ebay...

BTW... I have a 1993 ATX with 80k on a rebuilt engine, but 240k on the odometer. The transmission has been rebuilt, but there is an OD problem where it cannot be shut off. From what I can tell it goes into OD, but the button is broke?

Anyway, its dark green with tan interior...its in mediocre shape...its a runner and just needs someone to dish out some TLC on a 16+ year old car...

Interested?

Oh, mine has a bad waterpump too, but runs really strong and doesnt burn anything...I was impressed with the condition. It's been in a minor front end bump...front bumper should be replaced, but can be ignored (I am being picky), rear bumper has a little dent in it and the passenger rear quarter has rust...

I was going to turn it into a turbo sleeper project or a Robocop Detroit Metro Police car for the Ford shows, but I am not sure yet.

For the right price, it's a goner...

Dont the tune ups cost upwards of $800 on those engines? I think you have to replace the valves among other internals. I was actually going to buy one previous to my 35th. Never happened because of tune up costs.

Yeah, they are pretty spendy tunes with valve adjustments, not replacements that I have heard. I chalked it up to the same as a bike tuneup with valve adjustment...

The valve adjustment is done after 60k miles, though and I dont know if it needs to be done a second time... Personally, I would have the engine rebuilt for a few bills more.... for 2k, you can get a turbo-happy rebuild...

if the car costs 1000-1500 and you like it, then its a restoration project.... its a unique motor and will cost some coin to do things right...

Like the SC....

haha right now it is at $300 so I dont want to pass it up. they have buy it now for $1200. I was curious how high I should bid, without starting to waste my money...

As far as the tune-ups go, are you talking about replacing the valves in the heads? I would hate for it to have a crack in the block or something though! Where would I get something like that done at? if its going to cost $800 to fix, I think I might just let it go! and let someone else get it.

here is the link!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Ford-Taurus-SHO-3-2-Automatic_W0QQitemZ4624927687QQcategoryZ6238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the people on tccoa said not to pay more then $300 for it! lol

Last edited:
I honesty wouldn't pay to much for a car like that. I got mine even tho it was slighty older than ur and the 5spd for $700 it ran and drove mint with lots of maintance done with receipts. They are like sc's which means they are worth crap basically. A waterpump is cheap but if you don't do it yourself expect a lot of labor on that same with the tune up and spark well seals.

Well, look at it this way. Its a high milage car. If you think it will stop at just a tune up your in for a wake up call. Many learn this after owning an SC. Then again, some of us are in it just for the punishment.

Back