turn a base engine to sc

nrg

Hi,

how hard to turn the base engine to a supercharged one?
can it be at all?

I guess it is possible but you'd have to replace so many parts it would just be better off to either by a SC or an engine from a SC.

on what engine are you installing it on? If it's a regular 3.8 with high compression, it won't work too good. that you have to replcace heads, bolts/studs - better, and front brackets, with more stuff. Not worth it...

its a regular '92 3.8L. i just try to find a money saving way, because at here u shold pay a lot of fee if u want to change the engine...

I suggest either swapping the engine/trans or getting a Vortech SC kit. If your on a budget and/or parts are hard to come by - you might just want to do the Vortech. If you've got some money to play with, find a good donor SC with a bad body where you can take all the parts from it - engine, trans, 8.8 rear end, some wiring harnesses, and anything else you come across you might decide you want.

-Melon

Melon said:
I suggest either swapping the engine/trans or getting a Vortech SC kit. If your on a budget and/or parts are hard to come by - you might just want to do the Vortech. If you've got some money to play with, find a good donor SC with a bad body where you can take all the parts from it - engine, trans, 8.8 rear end, some wiring harnesses, and anything else you come across you might decide you want.

-Melon

Andy, you might want to check where he's from...

As for making an N/A 3.8 into a supercharged engine...Check out this link.

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/everwonder.php

It's here on this site and pretty much explains all the changes that were made for the SC engine. You'd have to pretty much do the same thing, (including getting a SC block to start as a base). I don't know what the cost is for installing a different engine, but it might actually be cheaper than trying to build one from scratch.

NOT worth it man. Just buy an SC. Even a modified one, Theyre a dime a dozen :cool: .

find a donor sc in here is harder than get a polar bear :) less than 30 '89-'97 thunderbird run at here, probably 30% is SC. so i should try to search in europa, but than i should a pay lot of tax, and fee... :/

thx the link Sam, i saw the block is totaly diferent... so is not worth it

Back