Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: T56 Install

T56 Install

Alright Guys, I have looked all over this and other forms looking for any glimps of hope in running a T56 in our cars. I have seen bits and pieces but nothing in a finished deal.
    1. Can it be done
    2. What needs to be done to make it work correctly
    3. (Bottom Line) How Much

If this can be done I'm sure that someone here knows how, Lord knows that no one out side of here gives a da@! about these cars. I leave it in your capable hands.

Thanks
    TGR

I would also like to fine a way to put a different tranny in my SC.

it cannot be done... the t-56 bell house bolt pattern is for the 4.6 and 5.4... only the T-5 and T-45 will bolt onto the SC... the sc has the same bolt pattern as a 5.0... so in other words NO!

Not quite right. The T-45 only came in the mod. V8 bellhousing pattern, as did the OEM T-56. But you can buy an aftermarket T-56 with a 5.0 bellhousing, which would bolt to the back of a 3.8. Obviously a bunch more work is needed after that.

A guy here in Ontario did it several years ago, with lots of custom work, and mixing and matching of parts.

http://www.sccoa.com/sccoo/Faq/6speedsc.htm

With currently available parts, it may be easier to make it go.

cheers
    Ed N.

Um, you do know that there is an Aftermarket T56 available for the 5.0 right? Guess not. I do beleive that there are a few here that have done it, a search may help.

Dave

i think its obvious that i didnt know because i dont really snoop around alot... Anywho... would you still need to convert to cable clutch? Or can you still use the hydraulic clutch?

Juice or Cable

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar_one
    would you still need to convert to cable clutch? Or can you still use the hydraulic clutch?
    I think that would depend on if there is a hyd. throw-out bearing avail. for the T56.

68COUGAR

This subject has been thoroughly discussed before. It is possible using mostly stock parts.

LS1 T56 mated to McLeod universal bellhousing.

T-56 (LS1) and 3.8SC

Just test fitted trans/bell housing/engine today:

Since my engine is done for a going through, I unboxed the McLeod Bell (from Summit $400 or so), pulled off the flywheel and popped out the pilot bearing (kit provides a bushing, did not install yet). Put a couple of bolts in the bell and a few in trans (LS1 T-56 from NY Block Exchange, Reman w/ warranty $2000). So far so good.
    NOTE: The pilot shaft goes deep into the pilot hole of the crank, the end of the splines just into hole. Have to measure how deep. ? - is it enough to turn down to M5R2 pilot dia and use a Bearing?----we'll find out. Will probaly use the bushing for now..Unexpected balancer failure is using up cushion $$

Tough to find JUST a clutch plate these days...everybody wants to sell kits. did manage to order a McLeod from PAW (only place with one in stock that I could find). am going to reuse my Sach's pressure plate as it doesen't have much miles on it and the slave (all replaced at the same time due to slave failure).

Went with a Hurst Billit Plus shifter after talking to Camaro and GTO owners that had had B&M's and didn't like them.-

Still have to order a Dakota Signals conversion box for speedo output.

Local shop can build a custom drive shaft. Will measure when test fitting eng/trans for crossmember mods.

Good thing about having a detachable bellhousing....don't have to jack the car up to the sky to get the trans under!

Took some pic today, have to put new battaries in camera and download to computer so I can post.
    MikeH

My concern would be the torque rating of the T-56. Wouldn't a World Class T-5 be a better choice?
    22 year SC Owner GFP
    (Glutton for Punishment)
    1992 5 Speed SC one of 1256
    1995 5 Speed SC one of 574

Quote Originally Posted by talonhead View Post
    Just test fitted trans/bell housing/engine today:

Since my engine is done for a going through, I unboxed the McLeod Bell (from Summit $400 or so), pulled off the flywheel and popped out the pilot bearing (kit provides a bushing, did not install yet). Put a couple of bolts in the bell and a few in trans (LS1 T-56 from NY Block Exchange, Reman w/ warranty $2000). So far so good.
    NOTE: The pilot shaft goes deep into the pilot hole of the crank, the end of the splines just into hole. Have to measure how deep. ? - is it enough to turn down to M5R2 pilot dia and use a Bearing?----we'll find out. Will probaly use the bushing for now..Unexpected balancer failure is using up cushion $$

Tough to find JUST a clutch plate these days...everybody wants to sell kits. did manage to order a McLeod from PAW (only place with one in stock that I could find). am going to reuse my Sach's pressure plate as it doesen't have much miles on it and the slave (all replaced at the same time due to slave failure).

Went with a Hurst Billit Plus shifter after talking to Camaro and GTO owners that had had B&M's and didn't like them.-

Still have to order a Dakota Signals conversion box for speedo output.

Local shop can build a custom drive shaft. Will measure when test fitting eng/trans for crossmember mods.

Good thing about having a detachable bellhousing....don't have to jack the car up to the sky to get the trans under!

Took some pic today, have to put new battaries in camera and download to computer so I can post.
    MikeH
    Where does the shifter land?
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Floyd View Post
    My concern would be the torque rating of the T-56. Wouldn't a World Class T-5 be a better choice?
    I thought the World Class T-5 was only rated for around 295 ft/lbs.

Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Floyd View Post
    Really, with all of the Kenne Bell 03/04 cars running around, your worried about the torque ratings?

jOe

Awesome, your giving me more hope each day for this.

Quote Originally Posted by getblown View Post
    Really, with all of the Kenne Bell 03/04 cars running around, your worried about the torque ratings?

jOe

Awesome, your giving me more hope each day for this.
    Do those Kenne Bell setups slam all the torque the motor produces into the tranny by 2600 RPM's or do they gradually build torque as RPM climbs?

Frit

Cobras are a lil lighter then SC's...But I still think the t56 should be fine for us.

My question is how will you hook up hydraulics? Getting the tranny in has always been the easy part

Also use a gto shifter
    Last edited by XxSlowpokexX; 03-08-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.