Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: T56 Install

Yes, I have/am...

Quote Originally Posted by tyrsmkkyle View Post
    this is a really cool project after its all said and done would you do it again? Im considering changing trannies.
    Yes, I have already considered it for a future project involving a BBF. Big problem is: Finding a suitable donor car. Funding the new trans. Funding the engine build.
    Right now it is snowing, and I'm trying to keep my truck going until spring (after I go pick up a 5th wheel trailer from my sister). So, it's on hold for now.
    MikeH

I guess my question is why install a t56? They are heavy! I would like to swap the t56 in my cobra for a built t5 later on down the road. You'll loose the weight and pick up power because less drivetrain loss. Just my opinion..

Uhhh...strength, reliability, extra gear, parts availability, etc. If we were worried about weight, would we have cars that are in the 2 ton range?

SWS

Quote Originally Posted by Tims03svt View Post
    I guess my question is why install a t56? They are heavy! I would like to swap the t56 in my cobra for a built t5 later on down the road. You'll loose the weight and pick up power because less drivetrain loss. Just my opinion..
    Not compared to our factory transmission! Also a t5 does not fit well at all.
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Talon,

Any update on your guide?

-Corey

Decided to pull the blower off the motor and put on the one from the original motor after realizing how much oxidation was under the powder coating. ....................THEN found that someone had glued front pass side injector in with RTV! So now I've pulled all the injectors. The o-rings are shot, so I'll need a full set before it goes back together. I'm gonna see if I can borrow a fiber optic cam and check out the cylinders through the plug holes. If I can't get it, I'll just flood the cylinders with oil and suck it out with a vac and a small tube. haven't got much more done as I'm working on getting my truck ready for a trip to MT in a couple of weeks. Still have to re-arrange the garage to bring in the toys while I'm gone (not looking forward to that. It's a real mess.)
    Did manage to score a (new) rear sump pan kit for my 460 last week, and finalize my drawings for some parts I need made for it. My machinist though, is swamped as it's spring and everyone wants to get their boats ready YESTERDAY.
    Happy Easter everybody!
    MikeH

I have the T-56 in my 93, but I am running a 5.0 It is a great tranny but very expensive swap.

Wicked, I totally agree!
    Just came off vacation, hoping to get back into my bird. Looks like the SN-197 T56 magnum is now the T-56 Magnum 'XL' kit is about $3800 for the 4.6/5.7l cammers. All I need is the trans and a flywheel for the 460 and that would complete the parts needed to run that combo (minus engine rebuild/EFI conversion).
    MikeH

Well, ran into a few small issues with the upper end and am awaiting parts to fix before installing onto car.
    This weekend I dragged out the 460 block w/crank and the BBF/T56 bellhousing kit. Unbolted the SBF/T56 bell off the trans and replaced it with the BBF unit (I think they sent the wrong bolts to bolt to the 460 block mm vs in.)
    With the 1/2" spacer ring left in place, the input shaft nose juuuuusst peeks past the edge of the engine plate. (The BBF bellhousing is about 1/4" deeper than the SBF unit)
    Where the V6 crank hub is near flush with the rear of the block, the 460 sticks out about an inch. This looks like its gonna be a good depth for the pilot. I'll just have another pilot bearing sleeve made.
    Mike

When will it end??????

The temp and humidity are near 100 each, 3.8sc parts are delayed, AND wife needs her Hummer maintenanced so she can go to CA to help out her parents!
    At this rate I'll finish the 460 first!.....................anyone got a 176t flywheel?
    MikeH

I hate it when life catches up with you......

Brakes and shocks all around on the H2, then pull the dash apart to find why the transfer case isn't working. Thank God that I know how to troubleshoot wiring and that I can actually read and understand a service manual!
    Transfer case wasn't working because mice had chewed on the wiring under the fuse block in the engine bay!!!! Eleven splices and 13 insulation repaires later......it almost works. Had to reassign the fuse holders for the transfer case module and OnStar (no biggee, I don't use OnStar anyways) NOW it works. Well, out to CA for a month then back....no issues.
    Lost my four wheeler key when I flew out to CA to bring the wife back. Had to pull the ignition sw out and take to a locksmith to code cut a key (actually 3) Service and winterize camper. (then secure it for huricane). Then attend 2 outastate funerals for Guys that I served with in the Military.
    My garage looks like a junkyard puked into it. Somewhere under all that crap is: 1 car, 1 ATV, 1 snowblower, 1 HD cherry picker, 2 SC engines, 1 460 engine, 1 T56 trans (with 2 bellhousings), 1 M5R2, 1 AOD, most of two interiors and engine bays, 1 oxy/acet rig, 1 generator, 1 pressure washer, 3 welding machines and 1 air compressor.
    The compressor, generator and 2 freezers, I can find.........the rest.... ohh lord help me. And I haven't even gone hunting this year!
    MikeH

Just a bump to update and for those looking for T56 info....

Seen a few posts for T56 stuff lately so bumping
    Not much new progress. Working on big brake install and the BBF retro EFI project.

Collecting new AN- fuel fittings for BBF, welded up 460 intake for injector bosses, got some AN-8 fuel rails from Kinsler, machinist is making an SC cam synchro adapter sleeve for the 460. 460 is in the engine bay of the SC. May need to rethink the fan/radiator set up for the swap. Didn't have enough height to put the 460/T56 into the bay together so had to finally order a transmission jack to tuck the Trans up in the tunnel and connect. (Jacked up my wrist Jan. '13, since then just don't have the strength to lift the Trans by hand.) working the 'bird 5.0 engine harness to fit the 460. Cleaning up exterior of T56 (trying to get the paint off and do a little polishing of the case to make it look better). Keeping a lookout for an OEM hood or a 'glass hood for clearing the 460. Working with pics from ProStreet Rich to fab up some motor mounts. Still trying to find a flywheel/clutch/pressure plate combo. (Had a guy say he could make a custom flywheel to fit a matched GM clutch/pressure plate, waiting for price). Trying to work out engine accessory layout. May have to change out power steering pump and swap out the brake booster for a hydro-boost to fit the 460 (Don't want to lose the power brakes).

Rebuilt my SC fuel rails and got new injectors. Working on cleaning up (2) SC blowers (powder coat is flaking and metal is corroding). Trying to find some aluminum to make the new walls for the extended blower top. Working on taking the front bumper cover again to check fit the FMIC that I picked up awhile back. Really need to get some new headlight lenses. Fitting a 'bird spoiler.

Thanks again for those who input ideas. Last year was full of non-car issues that kept me from making major progress on anything garage related.
    MikeH

The machinist who was supposed to do the Cam Synch adapter and Crank trigger/spacer for the 460 fell through. I did find another source for ready made Synch's and 36-1 trigger/spacers for the 385 engines over at www.dragonfabrication.com.
    Since I wasn't having luck with getting small stuff done by the machinist, I ordered some alum injector bungs from Ross Machine. After I got them home, I took a caliper and measured them. I took one to the local True Value (Which has an outstanding stock of quality hardware). I found some 1/2"x2" socket head machined shoulder bolts. As the bungs are 1/2" inside (except where the injector fits) and 2" long, these bolts fit snugly in the bung. The socket head O.D. is the same as the bung O.D., so slipping it in the manifold runner hole is easy. I also picked up a length of alum angle to drill and slot to obtain and hold the bung spacing and attach another jig to hold the injector angle for welding/glueing. I picked alum because it is extruded squared on the inside and outside of angle. Also, the flats are parallel (angle iron is formed on rollers and the inner sides are not squared, the junction and edges are rounded.
    I found that as I don't have a milling machine, nor do I presently have the $ to send off the manifold to a specialty shop for injector bungs to be welded and machined or drilled and bungs inserted into runners, I had to find a way to do it myself. As of yet, I don't know what heads will reside on my engine. So, the least expensive method would be to drill and insert bungs. If I do my current manifold (performer & std heads) it will be good practice if I wind up with SCJ's.. . . Or if I convert something other than a single carb manifold.
    Will try to get some pics up soon.

I have a set of port matched heads for a 429 lmk if interested.
    MEMBER #2488 best rwhp 504 485 torque
    2016 shootout Best of show award
    2015 Carlisle Best of show modified, 1st place 92 93 SC and Celebrity's choice award winner.
    2014 Shootout Best of show 1st award winner
    2014 Comp cams VIP Car craft street machine nationals
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage.p...e_view&id=7152

Dave,
    Thanx, but I want to go with alum to reduce some decent weight. I figure swapping out the cast iron intake and heads for alum, ought to be worth several hundred pounds.