T56 Install

ThunderGodRacin

Alright Guys, I have looked all over this and other forms looking for any glimps of hope in running a T56 in our cars. I have seen bits and pieces but nothing in a finished deal.
1. Can it be done
2. What needs to be done to make it work correctly
3. (Bottom Line) How Much

If this can be done I'm sure that someone here knows how, Lord knows that no one out side of here gives a da@! about these cars. I leave it in your capable hands.

Thanks
TGR

it cannot be done... the t-56 bell house bolt pattern is for the 4.6 and 5.4... only the T-5 and T-45 will bolt onto the SC... the sc has the same bolt pattern as a 5.0... so in other words NO!

Not quite right. The T-45 only came in the mod. V8 bellhousing pattern, as did the OEM T-56. But you can buy an aftermarket T-56 with a 5.0 bellhousing, which would bolt to the back of a 3.8. Obviously a bunch more work is needed after that.

A guy here in Ontario did it several years ago, with lots of custom work, and mixing and matching of parts.

http://www.sccoa.com/sccoo/Faq/6speedsc.htm

With currently available parts, it may be easier to make it go.

cheers
Ed N.

Um, you do know that there is an Aftermarket T56 available for the 5.0 right? Guess not. I do beleive that there are a few here that have done it, a search may help.

Dave

i think its obvious that i didnt know because i dont really snoop around alot... Anywho... would you still need to convert to cable clutch? Or can you still use the hydraulic clutch?

Juice or Cable

darkstar_one said:
would you still need to convert to cable clutch? Or can you still use the hydraulic clutch?
I think that would depend on if there is a hyd. throw-out bearing avail. for the T56.

68COUGAR

This subject has been thoroughly discussed before. It is possible using mostly stock parts.

LS1 T56 mated to McLeod universal bellhousing.
t56_bh.jpg

T-56 (LS1) and 3.8SC

Just test fitted trans/bell housing/engine today:

Since my engine is done for a going through, I unboxed the McLeod Bell (from Summit $400 or so), pulled off the flywheel and popped out the pilot bearing (kit provides a bushing, did not install yet). Put a couple of bolts in the bell and a few in trans (LS1 T-56 from NY Block Exchange, Reman w/ warranty $2000). So far so good.
NOTE: The pilot shaft goes deep into the pilot hole of the crank, the end of the splines just into hole. Have to measure how deep. ? - is it enough to turn down to M5R2 pilot dia and use a Bearing?----we'll find out. Will probaly use the bushing for now..Unexpected balancer failure is using up cushion $$

Tough to find JUST a clutch plate these days...everybody wants to sell kits. did manage to order a McLeod from PAW (only place with one in stock that I could find). am going to reuse my Sach's pressure plate as it doesen't have much miles on it and the slave (all replaced at the same time due to slave failure).

Went with a Hurst Billit Plus shifter after talking to Camaro and GTO owners that had had B&M's and didn't like them.-

Still have to order a Dakota Signals conversion box for speedo output.

Local shop can build a custom drive shaft. Will measure when test fitting eng/trans for crossmember mods.

Good thing about having a detachable bellhousing....don't have to jack the car up to the sky to get the trans under!

Took some pic today, have to put new battaries in camera and download to computer so I can post.
MikeH

Just test fitted trans/bell housing/engine today:

Since my engine is done for a going through, I unboxed the McLeod Bell (from Summit $400 or so), pulled off the flywheel and popped out the pilot bearing (kit provides a bushing, did not install yet). Put a couple of bolts in the bell and a few in trans (LS1 T-56 from NY Block Exchange, Reman w/ warranty $2000). So far so good.
NOTE: The pilot shaft goes deep into the pilot hole of the crank, the end of the splines just into hole. Have to measure how deep. ? - is it enough to turn down to M5R2 pilot dia and use a Bearing?----we'll find out. Will probaly use the bushing for now..Unexpected balancer failure is using up cushion $$

Tough to find JUST a clutch plate these days...everybody wants to sell kits. did manage to order a McLeod from PAW (only place with one in stock that I could find). am going to reuse my Sach's pressure plate as it doesen't have much miles on it and the slave (all replaced at the same time due to slave failure).

Went with a Hurst Billit Plus shifter after talking to Camaro and GTO owners that had had B&M's and didn't like them.-

Still have to order a Dakota Signals conversion box for speedo output.

Local shop can build a custom drive shaft. Will measure when test fitting eng/trans for crossmember mods.

Good thing about having a detachable bellhousing....don't have to jack the car up to the sky to get the trans under!

Took some pic today, have to put new battaries in camera and download to computer so I can post.
MikeH

Where does the shifter land?

My concern would be the torque rating of the T-56. Wouldn't a World Class T-5 be a better choice?

Really, with all of the Kenne Bell 03/04 cars running around, your worried about the torque ratings?

jOe

Awesome, your giving me more hope each day for this.

Really, with all of the Kenne Bell 03/04 cars running around, your worried about the torque ratings?

jOe

Awesome, your giving me more hope each day for this.

Do those Kenne Bell setups slam all the torque the motor produces into the tranny by 2600 RPM's or do they gradually build torque as RPM climbs?

Frit

Cobras are a lil lighter then SC's...But I still think the t56 should be fine for us.

My question is how will you hook up hydraulics? Getting the tranny in has always been the easy part

Also use a gto shifter

Last edited:
I know for sure that it will fit as I have ridden in a 91 T-bird with a T-56. There is a guy that doesn't post much on any MN12 based forums that lives in Rome, GA that converted his 5.0 car to a hydraulic setup T-5, then turned around a couple years later and put in the T-56. The car is wicked as hell too as it has a 331 twin turbo setup to go with the 6 speed. I could ask him to do a writeup about the conversion....

There is not alot of information from people that have done this. I did not get to hear about the one that was attempted/completed? in an SC.

A new updated parts list can help get more people that are on the fence of this to take the jump.
The GTO T-56 is said to be stronger then the older camaro/firebird model. It is also supposed to put the shifter very close to the stock tunnel opening.

Most people know that with the MCleod adapter, it can be bolted up to a 3.8l/5.0l/5.8l, and different driveshaft length and modification to the cross member are necessary. But that about where it stops for common knowledge.

The other pieced that are of interest is what clutch, flywheel, slave cyl., starter are necessary to make it work.

Ford Racing catalogue has the T-56 for 5.0ls but we still have the shifter location with those units. And I think it is cable clutch still. $2400.

If you're gonna keep your car under 600rwhp then a T-56 from newer generation may work. For certain, the ones out of the Firebird and such from GM are not strong enough for our cars if pushing over 300lb/ft of torque. The Viper gear set would work from that era of T-56. That's when I was looking into it. I haven't dug around since.

Last time I looked (2 years ago) the T-56 was getting into the Hot Rod aftermarket big time with all sorts of options available including different tail shaft housings, shift lever positions, and different gears, mix and match stuff. I figured that I could find whatever I need when I'm ready.

Tremec has the torque ratings published on their site.

I noticed that they have a form for manufacturers to fill out.
I wonder if we get enough people in a buy we can get something custom set up to be a simple drop in.

Before we can ask them we would need measurements for our stock M5R2.

appEngForm.gif

Size A
Size B
Size C
Size D
Size E
Size F
Size G
Size H

Input Shaft Pilot Dia.
Input Shaft (Spline Count)
Output Shaft (Spline Count)