T56 Install

Ryan,

Having the custom parts available for this swap from someone would be a God send. I been throwing this about for years but I know if I start and it doesnt go smnooth it could be years till I finish...And I like driving my SC to much to wish it a slow and painfull death like that. The transmission is one of the last things I feel my SC needs to be almost perfect for me

Please go for it!

Damon

Time to turn wrenches and commence welding!!!!!

It's getting warm during the day now. Time to clean the garage out and find my welders. Need to get the x-member fabbed so I can pull the engine/trans to do the setup and hook up the other engine.
Also going to pull the other pumpkin (auto 3.27's) might put it in after I get a road test with the 2.73.

Have a good line on a pair of '85 460's for the other car.
Still need to down-load the camera with progress pics.

MikeH

Here we go....

here are some shifter shots (original 5 spd handle)

Attachments

• 03_09 001 (8).JPG
    03_09 001 (8).JPG
    121 KB · Views: 579
  • 03_09 002 (7).JPG
    03_09 002 (7).JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 03_09 005 (7).JPG
    03_09 005 (7).JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 03_09 006 (5).JPG
    03_09 006 (5).JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 237
The trans is an LS1 configured t56 from a 2000 Camaro. The SC already has hydraulic clutch setup. More dependable than a cable (I've heard my buddies with cable clutches moan on and on about cables and quadrant levers.)

The auto to stick conversion that I might do if I can scrape up the $$ for another t56 will be behind a BBF. I already have the pedal set and bell adapter. But ......that's a whole 'nother ball of wax.
MikeH

When going with the T-56 the differences are:
Input shaft: spline #, shaft length, and pilot size
Clutch adapter: aftermarket (flat plate), Ford, GM LT1/LS1/Vette, Dodge
Body: mech or electronic speedo drive
Tailshaft: spline#, housing type(GM LT/LS shifter mount is all the way back)
Engine (Bell) adapter:Factory or aftermarket.
Clutch throw-out type:cable/lever, (external) hyd/lever, hyd push(concentric slave)

Hope this helps,
MikeH

Looks like the GTO T-56 would be a good canidate. The shifter is positioned farther back compared to the f-body trans.

Looks good so far!
Jesse

TREMAC_DIMS-968x638.jpg

Wally88,
Great pic. I think the GTO extension would put it waaay to far back. Right now, mine is only an inch~ forward of stock.
MikeH

Wally88,
Great pic. I think the GTO extension would put it waaay to far back. Right now, mine is only an inch~ forward of stock.
MikeH

I couldn't tell from the picture you had posted. I would think a bent handle would do the trick then.

Carry on! LOL!

Jesse

was looking at depth of pilot shaft into crank hub looks like I could use a
0.025-0.375" spacer. also looking for a pilot bearing that will work.
weather is pretty crappy....high wind and rain, flooding out my garage. Have to wait til it blows over.

driveline mods

was looking at custom drive shaft info on-line. Came up with a TH350 slip yoke which is available in several series 10, 30,& 50 which match up with 1310,1330, 1350 series U-joints. And to mate up with the Ford diff flange yoke there are 2 bolt sizes: small 2.5"x2.5" for 7.5" and 8.8" diff's and large 3"x 3" for 8.8" diff's.
The one on my SC is the small bolt pattern which uses a 1310 u-joint.
QUESTION? Can the small pattern diff flange be swapped for the large pattern on our cars? I was looking at going with the 1350 series slip yoke and u-joint in front and upgrade to the large pattern and 1350 series in the rear so u-joint sizes are the same.
Haven't done any diff work yet. Can you just take the pinon nut off, pull the flange of and install a new one? Or is it more involved?
MikeH

QUESTION? Can the small pattern diff flange be swapped for the large pattern on our cars? I was looking at going with the 1350 series slip yoke and u-joint in front and upgrade to the large pattern and 1350 series in the rear so u-joint sizes are the same.
Haven't done any diff work yet. Can you just take the pinon nut off, pull the flange of and install a new one? Or is it more involved?
MikeH

Yes, you can just swap the stock pinion flange for the larger one.

pilot bush/brg

Found specs for the LS1 T56 pilot brg, and compared them to the M5R2 pilot brg.

Ford: ID 0.672" OD 1.378" width 0.733"
LS1: ID 0.600" OD 1.096" width 0.720"

I figure I can get a sleeve made with the Ford OD and the ID to match the LS1 OD.

As it looks now, I will need a spacer for the trans to set correct pilot depth as mentioned in previous post. This depth will be determined by pilot shaft and brg. Once this is set then determine slave shim height.

MikeH

Why not use the bushing for the Ford and just have the ID cut to match the LS or mill the shaft?

That way, you can use the Ford piece and it would probably be cheaper.

SWS

I'd check the pilot bushing used in the 5.0 that fits the T-56. It might fit the SC crankshaft. p/n Ford Racing M-7600-A.

Never mind, it's for a .669 input shaft diameter.....

Last edited:
pilot brg sleeve...

Local marine machine shop is going to hook me up with a hard bronze sleeve so I can use the GM pilot. Might have him make up a few to have as spares or whatever.
MikeH

Back