T56 Install

Wow...You have a ton of time and money in this. Any regrets thus far? I mean, I am still pissed at myself that I did not just throw a 4.6 or a 5.4 in my Bronco sometimes. It may not have been cheaper, but the end result would net about the same result.

SWS

SWS,
I am very fortunate that I have: a garage where I don't park the 2 trucks that we use daily. A wife that kinda-sorta understands. (it helps that she found the car in the first place and loves it). And I have a job that I actually enjoy most of the time and it pays fairly well.
The only thing is that her health is slightly headed down hill and requires more of my time. So be it. I still want to find another solid roller for a BBF project. But if I can have only one "full time" project at a time, I'm ok with that. It will just take a little while longer to get it done. BUT, I try to do it right the first time. Hence the time and money to get/make the parts to make it right to start with. Don't want to have to tear it apart and do it over---I get enough of that at work!
For all of you who have kept tabs on this thread, those who have made comments/suggestions, and those who offered up information.....Thank you.
MikeH

Last edited:
Machinist called and said he should be done tomorrow with the spacers for the slave mount. About time! I had him make 2, although I bought enough material for several more. Just need to check fit. I designed it to be able to be shimmed with inserts. I figure up to about 1mm under the slave or the spacer or both. Any more I think a thicker spacer should be used.
I will post pics when I get them home. His work was pretty good on the pilot brg sleaves that he did from my specs.

I hope his fall (regular) work drops off fairly soon (only for my schedule, not that I want him to lose business). I have a couple of other projects (not SC oriented, although still Ford) that I'd like to get to work on in the background.
MikeH:)

pretty shiny parts!!!!

WOOO-HOO!!
Just picked up the spacers from the machine shop on my way to work. They look sweet. Took pics, but have to upload them from home.
MikeH

Here they are:

Attachments

• slave spacer1.jpg
    slave spacer1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 166
  • slave on spacers.jpg
    slave on spacers.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 182
  • through pilot with slave.jpg
    through pilot with slave.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
slave install

OK, I got my azz into gear and did the slave and spacer install tonight.
Start off with bare mid-plate, then one spacer, then 2 spacers (just for looks), then slave and spacer, clearencint the openings in the mid-plate due to spacers, then notching the spacer ring and the slave and spacer (no spring) to check the clearence with pressure plate.
Had to take off a few thou off the front of the spacer and the slave to get clearence. Now it's time to start puting the whole thing together!
MikeH

Attachments

• a start.jpg
    a start.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 163
  • b one spacer.jpg
    b one spacer.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 166
  • b two  spacers.jpg
    b two spacers.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 156
  • c 1 spacer and slave.jpg
    c 1 spacer and slave.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 184
  • d  front plate clearence.jpg
    d front plate clearence.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 163
and some more..

Tomorrow starts the rebirth!

Attachments

• e marking for notches in ring.jpg
    e marking for notches in ring.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 163
  • f spacer and slave no spring.jpg
    f spacer and slave no spring.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 153
spent the $45 to get the flywheel resurfaced today. Working on building an engine rack as it's easier than the rotary stand to work on the engine.

Picked up (2) sets of pressure plate bolts from Green's, to go with the fly-wheel hub bolts from Ford.
Between trying to install a 5th wheel hitch on my truck, replace front hub vacuum lines and trouble-shoot front hub engagement issues (in the snow I might add) is just not giving me time in the garage to work on the bird.
Oh well, more due tonight and tomorrow. Need to air up the 4-wheeler tires for play time!
Mike

Yes, I have/am...

this is a really cool project after its all said and done would you do it again? Im considering changing trannies.

Yes, I have already considered it for a future project involving a BBF. Big problem is: Finding a suitable donor car. Funding the new trans. Funding the engine build.
Right now it is snowing, and I'm trying to keep my truck going until spring (after I go pick up a 5th wheel trailer from my sister). So, it's on hold for now.
MikeH

I guess my question is why install a t56? They are heavy! I would like to swap the t56 in my cobra for a built t5 later on down the road. You'll loose the weight and pick up power because less drivetrain loss. Just my opinion..

Uhhh...strength, reliability, extra gear, parts availability, etc. If we were worried about weight, would we have cars that are in the 2 ton range?

SWS

I guess my question is why install a t56? They are heavy! I would like to swap the t56 in my cobra for a built t5 later on down the road. You'll loose the weight and pick up power because less drivetrain loss. Just my opinion..

Not compared to our factory transmission! Also a t5 does not fit well at all.

Decided to pull the blower off the motor and put on the one from the original motor after realizing how much oxidation was under the powder coating. ....................THEN found that someone had glued front pass side injector in with RTV! So now I've pulled all the injectors. The o-rings are shot, so I'll need a full set before it goes back together. I'm gonna see if I can borrow a fiber optic cam and check out the cylinders through the plug holes. If I can't get it, I'll just flood the cylinders with oil and suck it out with a vac and a small tube. haven't got much more done as I'm working on getting my truck ready for a trip to MT in a couple of weeks. Still have to re-arrange the garage to bring in the toys while I'm gone (not looking forward to that. It's a real mess.)
Did manage to score a (new) rear sump pan kit for my 460 last week, and finalize my drawings for some parts I need made for it. My machinist though, is swamped as it's spring and everyone wants to get their boats ready YESTERDAY.
Happy Easter everybody!
MikeH

Wicked, I totally agree!
Just came off vacation, hoping to get back into my bird. Looks like the SN-197 T56 magnum is now the T-56 Magnum 'XL' kit is about $3800 for the 4.6/5.7l cammers. All I need is the trans and a flywheel for the 460 and that would complete the parts needed to run that combo (minus engine rebuild/EFI conversion).
MikeH

Well, ran into a few small issues with the upper end and am awaiting parts to fix before installing onto car.
This weekend I dragged out the 460 block w/crank and the BBF/T56 bellhousing kit. Unbolted the SBF/T56 bell off the trans and replaced it with the BBF unit (I think they sent the wrong bolts to bolt to the 460 block mm vs in.)
With the 1/2" spacer ring left in place, the input shaft nose juuuuusst peeks past the edge of the engine plate. (The BBF bellhousing is about 1/4" deeper than the SBF unit)
Where the V6 crank hub is near flush with the rear of the block, the 460 sticks out about an inch. This looks like its gonna be a good depth for the pilot. I'll just have another pilot bearing sleeve made.
Mike

When will it end??????

The temp and humidity are near 100 each, 3.8sc parts are delayed, AND wife needs her Hummer maintenanced so she can go to CA to help out her parents!
At this rate I'll finish the 460 first!.....................anyone got a 176t flywheel?;)
MikeH

Back